Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 06:35 AM

379 posts, read 517,757 times

Advertisements

Good Luck with your trip and your new business venture. The craft beer industry has really exploded in the last few years with small operations are popping up all over the place. A saturated market is a concern however but I'm sure you guys will find a way to differentiate your product from everyone else.

There are many micro brewing places in the Triangle. I went to Nattie Greene's in Raleigh on my last trip and loved it. I would like to get to a White Street and Fullsteam on my next trip. As a previous poster stated the state is controlled by a Republicans and is very business friendly right now. There is a lot of good info on the NC Brewers Guild Website.

On a side note I have been a home brewer for 20 years and I'm thinking about changing careers when we relocate. Will you guys be hiring an "apprentice"? I will work for free! Well for free beer anyway.

Again best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 06:41 AM

725 posts, read 1,500,840 times
NC Beer Guys keep an up to date map of breweries in the state. You can see where saturation is heaviest. I think style wise if you are making something unique there is room, you are starting to see a few NC breweries move into Sours and Wild beers. Until recently I thought there was a big opening for an NC brewery to make a solid West Coast style IPA but NODA has that covered now (with their World Beer Cup win!).

NC Breweries - NC Beer Guys

Old 06-05-2014, 08:34 AM

6 posts, read 8,335 times
Well no matter what the saturation, there's always an opportunity for one more to wiggle in. And true, I don't expect a "gimme" as stated earlier, but friendly competition is always fun. But back to my original question ..... was there an original? Here in Washington, the liquor control board is very helpful and always ready to give advice, suggestions, and input. I'm hoping the same holds true in NC? Also, has anyone ran into resistance from local government bodies? Are there dry counties in NC, and how does the state handle sales on Sundays?

Old 06-05-2014, 09:18 AM

725 posts, read 1,500,840 times
I don't know the level of difficulty on opening a brewery, the state in general has been in favor of expanding the industry the past decade. From my observations of posts from new local breweries social media posts a lot of the slow down in the building process seems to come from the local level where it's more building/inspection permits.

There is a guild and I think they may be able to answer some of your questions - North Carolina Craft Brewers Guild

There is one dry county in NC - Frequently Asked Questions: North Carolina ABC Commission

Beer (and wine sales) on Sunday are after 12pm at the retail level.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:45 AM

164 posts, read 287,439 times
Hey Brewmaster! We moved from Redmond last July, and I say we NEED you here.

There are dry counties in NC, but the only ones I can think of are up in the Mountains of NC towards Asheville. I know this because we own property up there, and have had to drive out of Sapphire/Cashiers, NC to Brevard for a beer because they don't sell alcohol. (Unless that's changed?) And you can purchase beer on Sundays here, just not liquor. We currently live in Holly Springs, and our town has had a few breweries pop up recently. We could still use more, that's for sure. Or some better ones, maybe. Some of them are very 'so so' IMO, and just don't compare to the breweries in Seattle. There are some days I'd punch a baby for a simple Mac and Jacks. Just sayin'.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:28 AM

6 posts, read 8,335 times
Thumbs up Redmond to NC??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernInSeattle View Post
Hey Brewmaster! We moved from Redmond last July, and I say we NEED you here.
Whatever drove you to move from Redmond to NC??? And please don't say a truck did it. I do remember those dry counties in the South as well as those Blue Law weird things. We did check and the state liquor board are not the friendliest there in NC when it comes to starting up a business unless you can go full tilt and dump the funds into a commercial spot immediately. And if that isn't the case, someone please let me know.

We're in Sammamish here, and we've gotten everything set up to go into operation, got the approval from the feds (TTB), and got approval from the state, and then the city has apparently but up a brick wall, despite the fact that there is a similar microbrewery just two miles away from us, but still in the city limits. Politicians .... I just love them ..... NOT!

If it was possible, we'd make the move without hesitation. I've traveled through NC a number of times, love that part of the country, and the people are fantastic.

Oh, and just so you know, it's still chilly here, low 70's in the day, 40's at night, pull out the Prozac!!

Old 06-14-2014, 07:06 AM

171 posts, read 430,244 times
Their are so many breweries here. Some are run out of trailers, some in tiny strip malls. Nobody sells beer/wine before noon on Sunday, blue laws. Apparently the laws aren't that bad here, because breweries are popping up like weeds.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:51 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Yes. Breweries popping up right and left here, but I do not think that it has become saturated. Some of the more successful breweries are started by a few friends with business experience and are smart enough to hire professional brewers. Most of the terrible ones are started by homebrewers who think that because their next-door neighbors like their free beer, then they can make a living doing it on their own.

I also recommend that you contact the NC Brewer Guild with any legal/business related questions.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:37 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,584,421 times
I am pretty sure you are not allowed to brew in a residence as I haven't run into a single brewery that works that way. I have family that own a brewery and they spent quite a bit of time opening, probably close to a year.

NC has friendly laws to craft beer that is why they keep opening here and the more established like Sierra Nevada, New Belgium and Oskar Blues are open(ing) here. Ashville's subforum might be a good place to X port this as well. The growler, tasting room, self distribute laws are friendlier to start up than other states.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:05 PM

612 posts, read 1,280,415 times
I've heard that StarPoint is in a residence, but can't verify that. I buy their 22s at WSM, and really like the Mornin' Wood and DUH!. their site doesn't seem to indicate an exact brewery location, other than "the pine forests of Carrboro" so maybe it is a residence, or maybe it's just a warehouse without a taproom ( so there's no point in giving a location since you couldn't go there and drink anyway). Either way, I like their brews, but maybe someone else here would be able to verify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary