Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 12:57 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,294,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecomet View Post
I have asked this before but what is being done about the crime in Durham? This morning on early WRAL news they had about 3-4 references to crimes in Durham. One being a shoot out at a Cook Out early this morning. Just listening to local news and reading newspapers in my opinion there is a "crime" problem in Durham and to this extent I do not feel safe anymore when I am anywhere in Durham. Especially when I have my family with me.
Based on the responses you can surmise that what's being done is basically:
1. Denial
2. Ignore
3. Vilify anyone who brings up the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 05:58 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,560,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
1. Denial
2. Ignore
I'm turning to sarcasm because I'm sick of the whole thing.

Oh! Time to walk the dog. Where's that gun?

Old 07-27-2014, 07:16 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,861,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behan View Post
I'm surprised I haven't seen more talk about this here on C-D. It's one of the worst things I've ever heard of. Someone getting beaten to death in cold blood during the middle of the day, in a nice neighborhood, blocks away from his work. Absolutely unbelievable... very sad. RIP to the professor.

A shooting at a Cook-Out at 4:30 in the morning on the weekend doesn't bother me.

One of the perps was from Durham. Just making an observation.
Horrible.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:18 AM

523 posts, read 1,323,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
1. Denial
2. Ignore
None of us who live here deny that there is crime. All cities have it to varying degrees. One of my best friends is a Durham police officer, so I get to hear all about it. The issue is that many people around here seem to believe that the crime rate here is somehow off-the-charts high. Perception is not reality.

Look up the stats on some other Southern cities and see how they compare to Durham crime-wise: Richmond, Norfolk, Chattanooga, Nashville, Birmingham, Jackson, etc. The crime rate in Durham is average to below-average when you make that comparison. Look up the crime rate in Henderson or Rocky Mount, then come back and tell me how bad a place Durham is. The problem is that people around the Triangle compare Durham to Raleigh, Cary, and Chapel Hill. Crime rates in those places are freakishly low for cities of their size, especially for cities in the South. It's sorta like standing me next to George Clooney (or Hugh Jackman, or Colin Firth, or...). I'm not a bad-looking guy, but I ain't gonna win that beauty contest.

When I moved to Raleigh in 2000, the city was just starting to win all those "Best Place to Live and Work" awards, with articles touting it as a vibrant and safe city for raising a family. That year, the murder rate in Raleigh was 9.5 per 100,000 and the overall crime index (posted right here on C-D) was 538.7. Were people avoiding Raleigh because they feared for their lives? No! They were moving there in droves.

In 2012 (the most recent year for which there is complete data), the murder rate in Durham was 8.9 per 100,000 and the overall crime index was 441.2, yet the poster who revived this thread feels that nowhere in Durham is safe. All I can do is laugh.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:48 AM

158 posts, read 271,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb27608 View Post
None of us who live here deny that there is crime. All cities have it to varying degrees. One of my best friends is a Durham police officer, so I get to hear all about it. The issue is that many people around here seem to believe that the crime rate here is somehow off-the-charts high. Perception is not reality.

Look up the stats on some other Southern cities and see how they compare to Durham crime-wise: Richmond, Norfolk, Chattanooga, Nashville, Birmingham, Jackson, etc. The crime rate in Durham is average to below-average when you make that comparison. Look up the crime rate in Henderson or Rocky Mount, then come back and tell me how bad a place Durham is. The problem is that people around the Triangle compare Durham to Raleigh, Cary, and Chapel Hill. Crime rates in those places are freakishly low for cities of their size, especially for cities in the South. It's sorta like standing me next to George Clooney (or Hugh Jackman, or Colin Firth, or...). I'm not a bad-looking guy, but I ain't gonna win that beauty contest.

When I moved to Raleigh in 2000, the city was just starting to win all those "Best Place to Live and Work" awards, with articles touting it as a vibrant and safe city for raising a family. That year, the murder rate in Raleigh was 9.5 per 100,000 and the overall crime index (posted right here on C-D) was 538.7. Were people avoiding Raleigh because they feared for their lives? No! They were moving there in droves.

In 2012 (the most recent year for which there is complete data), the murder rate in Durham was 8.9 per 100,000 and the overall crime index was 441.2, yet the poster who revived this thread feels that nowhere in Durham is safe. All I can do is laugh.
I know! It's crazy how "unsafe" people feel. Actually LOOK at the crime statistics. I live in Henderson, NC and the crime rate is HORRIBLE here but I never feel unsafe. Actually I love it here. I am about to move close to downtown. If you want to complain about crime, try Henderson or Oxford and look at that rate compared to Durham...yet somehow I don't ever feel unsafe here OR in Durham where we go for more big city type things. Funny how that works? Be alert and don't be stupid. It does help a little though that we have CC permits.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:59 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,232,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlovr8 View Post
I know! It's crazy how "unsafe" people feel. Actually LOOK at the crime statistics. I live in Henderson, NC and the crime rate is HORRIBLE here but I never feel unsafe. Actually I love it here. I am about to move close to downtown. If you want to complain about crime, try Henderson or Oxford and look at that rate compared to Durham...yet somehow I don't ever feel unsafe here OR in Durham where we go for more big city type things. Funny how that works? Be alert and don't be stupid. It does help a little though that we have CC permits.
Maybe I just need to buy us guns and get CC permits. Maybe that will help our family feel safer in Durham. We have dear friends that live in Henderson and they love it also. Be safe!

Old 07-28-2014, 09:05 AM

288 posts, read 360,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecomet View Post
Maybe I just need to buy us guns and get CC permits. Maybe that will help our family feel safer in Durham. We have dear friends that live in Henderson and they love it also. Be safe!
Where in Durham do you live?

Old 07-28-2014, 09:43 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,126,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
One of the perps was from Durham. Just making an observation.
Horrible.
I think that the beating of that professor in CH was terrible.

I did post about it on another thread, about CH, but nobody ever responded to it.

Very sad.

I did not know one of the perpetrators was from Durham. I wonder where the other was from?

Old 07-28-2014, 10:00 AM

579 posts, read 518,677 times
Chapel Hill

Old 07-28-2014, 10:00 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,053,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

I did not know one of the perpetrators was from Durham. I wonder where the other was from?
Chapel Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary