Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 03:26 PM

101 posts, read 245,502 times

Advertisements

It looks (from 55) like they're getting REALLY close to laying pavement. Anyone know when the Morrisville Parkway extension is set to open? Will the 540 interchange we done then, too, or is that slated to roll out sometime later?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 03:47 PM

9,121 posts, read 14,660,572 times
Pretty sure the 540 interchange is years away at best.

Kind of crazy, since lots of people that would actually benefit from an therefore are potential paying customers of the toll road live very close to that intersection, so it seems like the Toll Authority would have been smart to have put it in. Instead, they make those people drive so far out of the way to get to 540, that they may as well not even try.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:33 PM

173 posts, read 312,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Pretty sure the 540 interchange is years away at best.

Kind of crazy, since lots of people that would actually benefit from an therefore are potential paying customers of the toll road live very close to that intersection, so it seems like the Toll Authority would have been smart to have put it in. Instead, they make those people drive so far out of the way to get to 540, that they may as well not even try.
Yep - here are the project details: Morrisville Parkway Extension and NC 540 Interchange

Old 06-09-2014, 04:56 PM

297 posts, read 738,043 times
It looks like they're giving access to the new neighborhoods first, thus the current road construction, with the exchange coming in a 2-3 years. I'm one of those waiting for the exchange - it will make a difference in my morning commute, since half my time is spent trying to get on 540, although it's close enough to spit on from my neighborhood.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:46 PM
DPK

4,593 posts, read 5,685,729 times
I really wish this would be complete within the next year. I would greatly benefit from the completion of that interchange for my commute.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:15 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,854,872 times
I lived in Dallas for a few years and while I didn't love the atmosphere, one of the things that stood out to me was the efficiency of their Dept. of Transportation. Projects were laid out well in advance and once funded, the work began and it was completed quickly.

Polar opposite of the NC DOT>

Old 06-11-2014, 05:27 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,373,138 times
From what I understand, a lot of this has to do with the strategies/ideas/wants of the town and planning agencies versus the Turnpike Authority. Once 540 was built out, every one was like, "Great! When we finish Morrisville Pkwy, we can have the Turnpike Authority connect it to 540!" and the Turnpike Authority was all, "Uh, with whose money? Our money? Seriously? We just built this thing and aren't exactly planning on extra interchanges" And then everything kinda had to go back to the drawing board as far as funding the connection - where I believe it is today hence all the "if funding is available" language on the website.

Also, IMHO, I'd hate to see 540 get a million exits/interchanges (not that I can tell if this specific one would be a problem) and end up not being anywhere close to a true limited-access highway. Too many exits/interchanges and the whole thing self destructs and is pointless.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:44 AM

9,121 posts, read 14,660,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
From what I understand, a lot of this has to do with the strategies/ideas/wants of the town and planning agencies versus the Turnpike Authority. Once 540 was built out, every one was like, "Great! When we finish Morrisville Pkwy, we can have the Turnpike Authority connect it to 540!" and the Turnpike Authority was all, "Uh, with whose money? Our money? Seriously? We just built this thing and aren't exactly planning on extra interchanges" And then everything kinda had to go back to the drawing board as far as funding the connection - where I believe it is today hence all the "if funding is available" language on the website.

Also, IMHO, I'd hate to see 540 get a million exits/interchanges (not that I can tell if this specific one would be a problem) and end up not being anywhere close to a true limited-access highway. Too many exits/interchanges and the whole thing self destructs and is pointless.
No reason for a ton of interchanges, but Morrisville Parkway is smack in the middle of a several mile gap, which would be fine if there weren't a few thousand homes right near it where people live that could actually use the road.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:29 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,848,820 times
The N&O has a story on this today:

CARY: Cary eyes deal to connect Morrisville Parkway with NC 540 | Cary | SouthwestWakeNews.com

Quote:
The Cary Town Council on Thursday is expected to consider entering a $17.6 million deal with the state Department of Transportation and Turnpike Authority to build an interchange connecting Morrisville Parkway and N.C. 540.

Cary would pay $5.1 million, and state transportation authorities would pay $12.5 million.
Quote:
The deal is likely to expedite construction, Cary spokeswoman Carrie Roman said, but an exact timetable remains unclear because the town still needs to acquire land for the project.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:36 AM

43,011 posts, read 76,500,303 times
Approved:
CARY: Cary OKs deal to connect Morrisville Parkway, N.C. 540 | Cary | CaryNews.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary