Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 07:50 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
This is why you find a TRULY independent and competent inspector. I suggest even bringing one in from out of the immediate area with no ties to anyone near a home you are interested in. Not one the realtors recommend, not one sits pn the building permit board, etc. Find yourself a truly hard nosed inspector who owes no loyalty to anyone in the area and is competent. They will tell you how the homes are really built.

You will find many of the homes built in Cary during the mass buldup of the 90's constructed with what I call wafer board, AKA sawdust, AKA, card board siding, as much 2X4 construction as they could conceivably get away with and plastic water piping now being recalled. I know who these builders are who built these homes, but I'm not going to mention them here. There is some really crappy homes built that are literally going to be disposable homes in the coming years or require constant ongoing upkeep in these areas, built during that time period. So do your due diligence.
In NC, Home Inspectors are licensed. They are NOT there to judge construction. So, not sure any of them will tell you "how the homes are really built".

If that is your concern, maybe you should hire a licensed contractor to educate you to the building codes and how tract builders are different from custom builders.

Speak with the city inspectors so you can better understand. I think you are misinformed on what a Home Inspector does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 08:11 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,589,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
In NC, Home Inspectors are licensed. They are NOT there to judge construction. So, not sure any of them will tell you "how the homes are really built".
I respectfully disagree.

A home inspector will examine anything you pay him to do. If a particular inspector says he cannot evaluate construction quality, he is admitting incompetence. Move on to a different inspector.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:16 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
I respectfully disagree.

A home inspector will examine anything you pay him to do. If a particular inspector says he cannot evaluate construction quality, he is admitting incompetence. Move on to a different inspector.

So, you want him to see through walls?

Yes, Home Inspector will go underneath home if home has crawl space. He will look at structure but it seems that what the OP was looking for was someone to verify the entire home had been constructed correctly.

I had home inspector that noted structure of home had "issues" but by NC licensing, he is obligated to put in his report..."Buyers should have fully licensed structural engineer to verify".

Of course, Home Inspector told us what HE thought the issue was and how it COULD be repaired but by NC law, he isn't allowed to go further.

And...NC tells inspectors that they are not allowed to give opinions; although I tell my clients that they should ask inspector ANYTHING. Most will give you honest answers/opinions, although they won't write that down!!!

Inspectors are not allowed to give Realtors any "kickbacks" nor should they. They are licensed. They are professional. I'm happy when buyers choose their own inspectors BUT most will ask for referrals and that is fine too.

Last edited by VickiR; 06-17-2014 at 08:29 AM..

Old 06-17-2014, 08:25 AM

715 posts, read 888,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
This is why you find a TRULY independent and competent inspector. I suggest even bringing one in from out of the immediate area with no ties to anyone near a home you are interested in. Not one the realtors recommend, not one sits pn the building permit board, etc. Find yourself a truly hard nosed inspector who owes no loyalty to anyone in the area and is competent. They will tell you how the homes are really built.

You will find many of the homes built in Cary during the mass buldup of the 90's constructed with what I call wafer board, AKA sawdust, AKA, card board siding, as much 2X4 construction as they could conceivably get away with and plastic water piping now being recalled. I know who these builders are who built these homes, but I'm not going to mention them here. There is some really crappy homes built that are literally going to be disposable homes in the coming years or require constant ongoing upkeep in these areas, built during that time period. So do your due diligence.
Guess the Cosa Nostra is alive and well in Cary. Think the price appreciation and stable resident base would tell you otherwise about the construction quality.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:50 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,775,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yikes. Where to start...

• There was no water piping that was recalled. Polybutylene has been a bit problematical. It was used by builders in all price ranges.
  • 2x4's are just about the most common framing members in conventional wall construction. 2x6's are becoming more common in exterior wall construction, but are not the rule yet.
  • Hardboard siding was also used by a great many builders in all price ranges, custom builders, semi-custom builders, and regional and national tract builders. Installation skill and owner maintenance are just as large a factor as quality of the material in failures.
  • I live in a 1994 house with no concern whatsoever that it is "disposable." In a 1994 neighborhood with neighbors who feel the same.
Well you had the exact names of the products I was mentioning. I should have also said there were some high quality homes built as well and being built today. But I know of a few slapped up subdivisions with issues due to poor construction and materials used. The home I owned had all the referenced items I listed and you confirmed and I had to spend thousands on each of them to repair. LOL. So yeah, I'm a bit jaded about it. The roof trusses in my home were all stick built on site with 2X4's and the supports at maximum distances with minimal clips so the roof began sagging. I had to replace the plumbing, all the siding, the windows and have the roof reinforced. All on a home built in 1994, in what many might consider a very nice area of Cary. So all I'm saying is due your research.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:13 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,589,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
So, you want him to see through walls?
No, but I want him (or her) to see everything that can be seen.
- Is the roof sheathing OSB or CDX?
- Is the rafter (or truss) spacing 16" or 24" on center?
- Are there lots of nail shanks protruding through the sheathing, indicating too many "misses" with the nail gun?
- Are the compound rafter-tip cuts sloppy such that gaps appear between rafter and ridge board?
- Are there gaps between collar beams and rafters?
- Are the exterior wall studs 2"x4" or 2"x6"?
- Has framing lumber been "butchered" by following trades such as HVAC, electricians, plumbers.
- Is the sheet rock marred by nail pops?
Quote:
Yes, Home Inspector will go underneath home if home has crawl space. He will look at structure but it seems that what the OP was looking for was someone to verify the entire home had been constructed correctly.
Granted, an inspector (professional or skilled amateur) can't see everything but sloppy work in the attic or crawl space is an indication of sloppy work throughout.
Quote:
I had home inspector that noted structure of home had "issues" but by NC licensing, he is obligated to put in his report..."Buyers should have fully licensed structural engineer to verify".
Sure, that's a routine CYA caveat.
Quote:
Of course, Home Inspector told us what HE thought the issue was and how it COULD be repaired but by NC law, he isn't allowed to go further.
That's quite enough.
Quote:
And...NC tells inspectors that they are not allowed to give opinions; although I tell my clients that they should ask inspector ANYTHING. Most will give you honest answers/opinions, although they won't write that down!!!
That's all I want, an honest opinion from a knowledgeable observer.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,407 times
Does anyone have any new information about Savvy Home Builders? More recent than 2011 (another blog basically said stay away from Savvy)? Have they improved their warranty response time/completion? Would you buy a home from them now? Do they cut corners with workmanship and/or installations? They are developing property in Wake Forest, NC - Beau Pre - ??

Old 09-29-2014, 08:29 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyNC2014 View Post
Does anyone have any new information about Savvy Home Builders? ..... Would you buy a home from them now? Do they cut corners with workmanship and/or installations? They are developing property in Wake Forest, NC - Beau Pre - ??
With Beau Pre in $400K to 500+ price range I would still be very cautious about Savvy Homes. I would want to see another community where they have completed homes in this price range. One recent community is Alexander Woods in Holly Springs.

I have two neighbors with Savvy homes in Sneads ferry- one is happy and one is less happy. There are sagging floors in the one home which may relate to not preparing the site properly where the ground was wet.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:34 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
I wouldn't personally spend $400K on a Savvy Home or a Meritage home.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:03 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I wouldn't personally spend $400K on a Savvy Home or a Meritage home.
What he said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary