Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 08:35 AM

272 posts, read 303,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
The only constant in all of your failed relationships is you.
Isn't that what Henry VIII once said to Anne Boleyn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 10:10 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times
Been here 11 years. Stayed in our first house for 4 1/2 years. After having been here a while we realized a few things-
Our home was not really suitable for us from a floorplan perspective.
We were in an area of high growth (NW Cary) and although you know it's coming you really never know how things will unfold. A change in road orientation and traffic patterns rendered the area immediately around our home very different and much busier/noisier than when we moved in.
After spending time here, in an area where expansion and growth are the norm, we began to get curious about our options (and there were ever-expanding options at that time, very unlike our previous life in the Northeast).
We caught a wave of appreciation, with our home going up in value by nearly 30% in the 4 1/2 years we were there. We were happy to cash in on this appreciation as we really didn't expect it.
That's why we moved. 19 miles away, but still within Cary limits. (!) We traded about 10% in square footage for a custom home with a daylight walkout basement, our lot size went up by 50% and backs up to a permanent wooded buffer, and the home suits our needs much better than the previous one. We are very happy with the schools although they don't get as much attention as the marquee schools in NW Cary.
So now we are closing in on 7 years in this house and we have begun to discuss where we might go next. We are pretty content right now but I am eyeing the possibility of a smaller and shorter mortgage and maybe a home that requires a little less upkeep.
Living in a high growth area gives residents options and choices they do not have elsewhere. Exercising those options is up to the individual.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:47 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
14 houses on my street. My present neighbors have a combined 320 years of living here, including our 16. We all signed a pact recently. Nobody's leaving...ever!

Old 06-17-2014, 11:00 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Do you think that families with/developing higher incomes move more frequently? Here are some ideas why they might.

1. to take advantage of being able to buy a roomier house as the children grow
2. because they can afford the costs of selling their old home
3. because they always think new = better and a house only stays 'new' for a year or two
4. because they are really really busy with careers and don't care about watching the trees and shrubs they planted grow and mature
5. because they don't actively solicit/show friendship to their neighbors so no real community develops
6. New buyers wanting new homes are frequently not from the area and like the idea of moving to neighborhoods where 'everyone' is likely to be a transplant so all are in the same boat. This includes a lot of young families.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:44 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Confession: I am a serial mover. There, I said it...

It's not because I don't like my neighbors though, in fact I always miss my neighbors! Well, not all of them. I won't miss the guy who puts the target deer on my property.

I'm single, no kids, and as I'm now in my mid-40s I am accepting this about myself, ha. I've not only moved since moving to the triangle (and left and moved back), I moved twice within the same apartment complex. Those were cheap and easy moves.

I could probably be happy RVing around the country full time if I didn't think my dog needed a yard. I just like to have a lot of experiences. Yes I realize this is part of why I'm single :-/

If I didn't have a dog I'd be traveling constantly (or as budget allows) but the dog wins.
I don't mean to be barbaric.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:10 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainednCary View Post
Isn't that what Henry VIII once said to Anne Boleyn?
Wouldn't it have made more sense if she said it to him?

Old 06-17-2014, 02:28 PM

546 posts, read 1,678,970 times
We've moved three times in seven years, most recently this past March. The first was moving here. The second time was because we had a third child and the townhouse we were renting was not big enough for our family anymore. The most recent was because we finally purchased a home that had everything we needed. Everyone has their own room, my husband has an office, we have a fenced backyard and no hoa. It's an older house in an established neighborhood, and I don't have to open my window and look directly into my neighbors kitchen. Most neighbors here have been living here for 20+ years. We're not moving again until our youngest child moves away for college, if even then. This is home and I'm in love with it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary