Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 07:41 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times

Advertisements

I had no idea that mockingbirds are so annoying but I've been distracted by the killer chihuahuas nextdoor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 08:20 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
The Mockingjays that have cross bred with the jabberjays are worse.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:26 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
I love animals, including birds. But I can't say that I would blame anyone for resorting to those measures!
The individual I refer to is an avid bird enthusiast. In fact, he had several bluebird houses around his property where he was trying to encourage their reintroduction. I never knew him to hunt, but there were two things he persecuted mercilessly: Fire ants and mockingbirds..

Old 06-19-2014, 09:24 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
We've got a mockingbird nest in a holly tree by our garage. Looks like a little guy made his first flight today...spotted him sitting in a blueberry bush across the driveway.

Not sure whether to be worried about him or not...he'd been sitting on the same branch of that bush for maybe 4 hours last time I checked. His mama's been flying around chattering at him though, and I saw her bring him some food. Hope he gets his wings under him soon.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:59 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
We've got a mockingbird nest in a holly tree by our garage. Looks like a little guy made his first flight today...spotted him sitting in a blueberry bush across the driveway.

Not sure whether to be worried about him or not...he'd been sitting on the same branch of that bush for maybe 4 hours last time I checked. His mama's been flying around chattering at him though, and I saw her bring him some food. Hope he gets his wings under him soon.

He's a cutie - looks like he would be ok. I always worry about these guys and then I read this from CLAWS rehab:

Old 06-20-2014, 05:24 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
That's what I like about Martins. They stay in the nest an average of 28-32 days until the wings are fully developed. They come out flying...and pretty darn good at it too.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:56 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,163 times
I admit I find it amusing when mockingbirds attack squirrels ( I HATE squirrels). But they are pesky, mean, and annoying birds. Luckily, we don't seem to get many of them here at our house. The only birds I find annoying, are the big crows and grackles.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:27 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
I admit I find it amusing when mockingbirds attack squirrels ( I HATE squirrels). But they are pesky, mean, and annoying birds. Luckily, we don't seem to get many of them here at our house. The only birds I find annoying, are the big crows and grackles.
Aww you're making me miss the squirrel from NY that used to feast outside my living room window. We called him "Tubby" because he was so darn FAT! Come December / January timeframe, he could barely sit on a tree branch because of his stomach! He literally had rolls of fat LOL.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:53 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,163 times
As I sit here this AM, I'm noticing the birds. I'm sure I've just gotten used to the sounds, because we have them singing and chirping all day long. I don't notice it at night. We have a lot of skylights, and they let in a LOT of sound from outside. Especially if the birds are on the roof scratching around! If we sit on the screened porch in the evening, birds are about the only sound you hear, unless someone's dog barks.

Then there's the squirrels. Did I mention how I HATE squirrels?

Old 06-20-2014, 07:05 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
As I sit here this AM, I'm noticing the birds. I'm sure I've just gotten used to the sounds, because we have them singing and chirping all day long. I don't notice it at night. We have a lot of skylights, and they let in a LOT of sound from outside. Especially if the birds are on the roof scratching around! If we sit on the screened porch in the evening, birds are about the only sound you hear, unless someone's dog barks.

Then there's the squirrels. Did I mention how I HATE squirrels?
aww squirrels never hurt anyone. And they sure as heck don't squawk so loudly that they could wake the dead!!

I am sure that if you had a mockingbird anywhere near your house, you would know it! It will literally sit in the same spot for HOURS screaming it's %^&$ head off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary