Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 03:04 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Highway Use tax (HUT) is 3% of the sales price of the car. If you do a trade-in, then that amount is subtracted from the sales price. If you buy used, then it's based on the value of the car.

So if you paid $142 in taxes, then the net purchase should have been around $4733.33 (Maybe a $14.7k car with a $10k trade in, or maybe a $4733 car and no trade in...)

Anyway, whatever they call it, the effective sales tax for a car in NC is 3% of net purchase amount.

According to this formula, OP's car was valued at $5k, and the rest was tax and tags. They will get a bill for Property tax later.
DH's car was valued at just over $20K, today he paid:

$150 highway use tax
$196 property tax fee
$28 plate fee
$38 title transfer fee

then a bunch of $1 and $5 fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You're driving a car worth over 40k and that 415 plus a one-time HUT is too expensive?

Seriously?
not sure how you arrived at that conclusion. we have 2 cars, neither is worth anywhere close to 40K

Old 06-24-2014, 03:15 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
When one seeks the attainment of nirvana in paradise, one tends to disregard contrary information that injects reality into the fantasy.
I have a list of websites that explain all the fees in NC, including that YES, we have income tax!

I think I googled a few websites and came up with the list so anyone can find it.

But...you gotta WANT TO FIND IT!!!

Having said that, I don't think anyone would really want that type of "surprise" so I think it is something that was missed. And that is also something that I've heard others say they missed, as well. Life happens!

Old 06-24-2014, 03:51 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
not sure how you arrived at that conclusion. we have 2 cars, neither is worth anywhere close to 40K
You said you paid 415 PLUS the 150 (one-time) HUT. That HUT is something we pay when we buy cars, so nobody much notices it.

Taxes in Cary for 415 a year would be on a car worth over 40k. Consult that calculator that was posted here if you want to doublecheck the math.

Was that 415 including the HUT? If so, that's less we pay per car yearly for taxes, and we have 3 cars paying at that rate.

It gets cheaper every year as the value of your car goes down, and as others have mentioned, we don't pay tax here all at one time when we buy. I think that system is kinder to people on a budget, really.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I have a list of websites that explain all the fees in NC, including that YES, we have income tax!

I think I googled a few websites and came up with the list so anyone can find it.

But...you gotta WANT TO FIND IT!!!

Having said that, I don't think anyone would really want that type of "surprise" so I think it is something that was missed. And that is also something that I've heard others say they missed, as well. Life happens!
I think a ton of people miss it in the rush for cheap real estate and lower RE taxes... which might explain all the expired out-of-state tags from people who learned it later and got ticked off and refuse to pay it for as long as they can.

I appreciate that the OP paid her taxes, even if she's not thrilled at the cost.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:53 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,589,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
HUT capped at $150 ...
Please check this number. I bought a used car early this month, a car valued at $9,130, and paid $246 HUT. These numbers are not from memory, I'm looking at the receipt right now. If you are correct, I was overcharged!

Old 06-24-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
DH's car was valued at just over $20K, today he paid:

$150 highway use tax
$196 property tax fee
$28 plate fee
$38 title transfer fee

then a bunch of $1 and $5 fees.
Okay... this makes much more sense. You paid 415 total. Whew.

Yeah... it'll be way less next year if you decide to stay here.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
Please check this number. I bought a used car early this month, a car valued at $9,130, and paid $246 HUT. These numbers are not from memory, I'm looking at the receipt right now. If you are correct, I was overcharged!

246 HUT for a car worth less than 10k?

Ack.

I swear I think mine was 150 for the car I just bought for close to 40k.

Seriously. That's wild. How do they come up with the HUT? I've never asked because it's not much money.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You said you paid 415 PLUS the 150 (one-time) HUT. That HUT is something we pay when we buy cars, so nobody much notices it.

Taxes in Cary for 415 a year would be on a car worth over 40k. Consult that calculator that was posted here if you want to doublecheck the math.

Was that 415 including the HUT? If so, that's less we pay per car yearly for taxes, and we have 3 cars paying at that rate.

It gets cheaper every year as the value of your car goes down, and as others have mentioned, we don't pay tax here all at one time when we buy. I think that system is kinder to people on a budget, really.
I said $415, which included $150 one time hwy use tax. sorry if that wasn't clear.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I said $415, which included $150 one time hwy use tax. sorry if that wasn't clear.
Yeah... I figured it out from your other post. At least you got one of them out of the way. It really isn't bad when it's yearly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary