Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 03:38 PM

144 posts, read 496,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
So what is your objective...to get everyone on the North to move to the South? That isn't very wise. LOL Nickandy, you said at least you'll be in NC for the summer....are you expecting the weather in the summer in MA to be cold and snowy with comforatalbe temperatures in NC? Most likely it will be comfortable and in the 70's and 80's in the northeast most of summer...when its in the mid 90's with high humidity down there.
Well, guess what. I will take 2 months of heat over 6 months of harsh winter. I lived here in MA for 15 years now and it is time to move on. Expecially this winter made my decision lot easier.

I can play golf in NC summer but I cant in MA winters.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:50 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,823,277 times
not really sure what the big deal with people relocating to raleigh is. the majority of people I know that live in raleigh can't wait to get out. it's just a big boring spread out subdivision. to each his own.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:09 PM

3,297 posts, read 8,540,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
not really sure what the big deal with people relocating to raleigh is. the majority of people I know that live in raleigh can't wait to get out. it's just a big boring spread out subdivision. to each his own.
The majority of the people you know in Raleigh want out? Cool, more room for people that want in. I think the Majority of people in Raleigh that want out are usually natives that don't have good jobs and can't stand to see this place become more racially and economically diverse....maybe not 100% of them, but just my take.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:18 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,124,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
The majority of the people you know in Raleigh want out? Cool, more room for people that want in. I think the Majority of people in Raleigh that want out are usually natives that don't have good jobs and can't stand to see this place become more racially and economically diverse....maybe not 100% of them, but just my take.
Racially, no problem. Now economics is a big issue. Too many high income transplants drive up prices hurting us longtime residents and our kids.

I'll take illegals from south of the border over yuppies any day. The illegals don't make it difficult for working people to live here.

Gentrification is a major threat to many areas.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:27 PM

no, they aren't locals. they are transplants. one friend who moved to raleigh from charlotte a year ago is desperate to get back to charlotte. raleigh isn't really horrible, it just isn't anything special. trust me, there is no shortage of room for people who want in. I am sure there are a bunch of townhomes and condos you can get. how is raleigh becoming more racially diverse, it always has been.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:20 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,561,962 times
2 months of heat? May, June, July, August, September. Hot and sticky in NC, generaly warm and comfortable (with a few hot days) in the northeast. 6 months of winter in MA? (which would mean the same for upstate NY where I live)...December, January, February, March. Cold and snowy in the NE for December thru february, slushy in March (unless you have a colder than average winter like this one). Generaly cold, though not as cold with a few mild days, and 2 or 3 snow events in NC....the exception being March which I would agree is usually very nice and springlike. April has nice springlike temps in NC too...but if you have allergies it can be the worst month of the year. I'm counting 5 hot months (give or take a couple weeks or so) and 4 cold wintery months (agian, give or take) in the NE. Not 2 and 6 respectiely. I guess hot and cold or "summery" and "wintery" are subjective.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:32 PM

I really don't think that the weather is all that much different. the amount of snow is much different, but the temps in wilmington are no different than they were in DC. summer just lasts longer and they get no snow. I mean, it just depends on how far up north you are. I personally miss snow. no one wants 5 feet all the time, but I haven't even seen it in two years.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Racially, no problem. Now economics is a big issue. Too many high income transplants drive up prices hurting us longtime residents and our kids.

I'll take illegals from south of the border over yuppies any day. The illegals don't make it difficult for working people to live here.

Gentrification is a major threat to many areas.
I would venture to say that most of the people moving here are not "yuppies" and are not gentrifying any areas. They might be contributing to sprawl, but most people are buying outside the beltline and are mot gentrifying any areas.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:01 PM

144 posts, read 496,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
2 months of heat? May, June, July, August, September. Hot and sticky in NC, generaly warm and comfortable (with a few hot days) in the northeast. 6 months of winter in MA? (which would mean the same for upstate NY where I live)...December, January, February, March. Cold and snowy in the NE for December thru february, slushy in March (unless you have a colder than average winter like this one). Generaly cold, though not as cold with a few mild days, and 2 or 3 snow events in NC....the exception being March which I would agree is usually very nice and springlike. April has nice springlike temps in NC too...but if you have allergies it can be the worst month of the year. I'm counting 5 hot months (give or take a couple weeks or so) and 4 cold wintery months (agian, give or take) in the NE. Not 2 and 6 respectiely. I guess hot and cold or "summery" and "wintery" are subjective.
Let us see it snowed here last October. The temp dipped below 30 at that time. We are in Mar 23 and expecting snow and we are currently in the mid 30s. You do the math. I call anything in the 30s, and snow covered ground, winter. And yes I travelled a lot to Raleigh (used to live in Atlanta for a while as well) and consider ONLY 2 moths (maybe 3) but still I dont have to tape all the doors and stay inside.

I consider Raleigh area to be much much better than MA (not just weather but quality of life, schools,etc), hence moving there. It is not just me, bunch of my friends who work for fidelity moved down there in the past few years. Every single one of them love it. Dont know much about Wilmington, or Charlotte, so cant speak for it but Raleigh cant wait to move.

Like I said, I like it so I am moving there. Lot of my friends here in MA think this is awesome weather. To each his own.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
no, they aren't locals. they are transplants. one friend who moved to raleigh from charlotte a year ago is desperate to get back to charlotte. raleigh isn't really horrible, it just isn't anything special. trust me, there is no shortage of room for people who want in. I am sure there are a bunch of townhomes and condos you can get. how is raleigh becoming more racially diverse, it always has been.
Charlotte is hardly that different then Raleigh when we're talking about most people coming here from DC, NY, and Boston areas. Also, this area IS becoming more racially diverse. I'm not just talking black and white here people. I'm talking about Indians, Vietnamise, etc, etc. We are becoming more of a worldly place and IMO that is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.