Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 01:13 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,137,959 times

Advertisements

Ehh I basically live in the woods and don't really have a problem with bugs. Plenty of bunnies and deer eating my garden though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 02:24 PM

533 posts, read 1,196,570 times
We back up to some woods, so we have mosquitos, but I'll take those any day of the week over chiggers. Those little devil bugs are miserable! From what I've read, the juveniles are the only ones that bite, and they usually stay pretty close to ground level, which explains why my husband ends up with bites every time he cuts the grass. I found these tips on line, hopefully they will help:

People can take steps to prevent being bitten by chiggers using the following methods:
  • Wash the skin with soap and water after outdoor activity.
  • Wash clothing that has been worn outdoors.
    Avoid vegetation that is low to the ground when outdoor temperatures are favorable to chiggers. (Chiggers do not bite at colder temperatures [below 60 F or 15.5 C] and are not found in areas hotter than 99 F or 37.2 C.)
    Use insect repellents, such as DEET (carefully follow instructions on any insect repellent as some applied inappropriately may cause problems, especially in children).
  • Wear long pants and long sleeves during outdoor activity along with high shoes or boots. Pant legs should be tucked into boots if possible.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:15 PM

183 posts, read 453,222 times
Shanti, I moved from St. Pete area (Tampa bay)> Raleigh

I tried to make the best of it. It is a nice suburban area indeed.
It's just not for me. I have no need for suburbia.

I've experienced more bugs, spiders, roaches, snakes, cob-webs, and more of everything creepy in the forest.
It is far worse than any Florida critters I've known.

I am not a fan of the forest - at all. I lived by a "nice" lake, and I once found a snake inside my apt. on a rainy day~ yuck.

I am now back by the ocean, and happy again. I can bike to the beach each day.

May everyone find their place.
I hope you find yours.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:22 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,610,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintpetegirl View Post
Shanti, I moved from St. Pete area (Tampa bay)> Raleigh

I tried to make the best of it. It is a nice suburban area indeed.
It's just not for me. I have no need for suburbia.

I've experienced more bugs, spiders, roaches, snakes, cob-webs, and more of everything creepy in the forest.
It is far worse than any Florida critters I've known.

I am not a fan of the forest - at all. I lived by a "nice" lake, and I once found a snake inside my apt. on a rainy day~ yuck.

I am now back by the ocean, and happy again. I can bike to the beach each day.

May everyone find their place.
I hope you find yours.
We love it here apart from the bugs! I had a snake in my bathroom in a house in Florida! No place is perfect but I have to say the ppl here seem a lot friendlier. I love trees so I wouldn't trade the greenery here. Only thing I miss from Florida is my mom and the sunsets!
Don't miss the horrible thunder and ligtning storms.
Glad you are happy back in Florida.
I am sure I will go back to visit someday.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:50 AM

13,661 posts, read 12,341,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanti1 View Post
They are very very very tiny. My husband couldnt believe that I actually felt it. I saved it to show it to him. I currently have over 40 bites and each day more appear. My son is getting more again after I thought it was getting better. Hubby mows grass religiously on a weekly basis and no tall grass or leaves around. Though a week before all of this started our next door neighbors cleared their backyard finally of leaves from autumn last year. It was overgrown with pampas grass and leaves covering the entire yard. Not sure if they disturbed some things? Contacted landlords and they said they never had bug problems here. A bit frustrating because neighbors on other side have a big plastic pool and it is green with algae and I can imagine attracting some mosquitoes.
I don't think it matters what you do if your neighbors have that going on. Sounds like bug city.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:52 AM

42 posts, read 67,094 times
Quote:
Trying to figure out the real scoop on biting bugs in suburban Cary and how much they affect daily life - can kids go to the park/play outside without being eaten alive? Are they a problem all year round or just in Summer? How much do they affect your daily life and outdoor activities?
I live near downtown, no standing water nearby, and I've gotten tons of mosquito bites this year just from walking my dog around my townhouse neighborhood. I don't remember it being this bad in past years - but I've always been a prime candidate to bite, it seems.

I'm originally from San Jose, CA, and there's definitely more bugs here, I'm not a big fan of that, but I absolutely love Cary in numerous other respects.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:18 AM

579 posts, read 519,609 times
Quote:
A bit frustrating because neighbors on other side have a big plastic pool and it is green with algae and I can imagine attracting some mosquitoes.

Time to buy some of these Mosquito Control & Prevention in Ponds: Warm Weather Mosquito Control and have the one person in your family with the best throwing arm to have a go at that kiddie pool.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I don't think it matters what you do if your neighbors have that going on. Sounds like bug city.
It is. We had Mosquito Authority out today. We talked with neighbors four doors down and they said the are usually really bad here with bugs but this year much worse. So, luckily we are just renting.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:10 PM

183 posts, read 453,222 times
Default Bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanti1 View Post
We love it here apart from the bugs! I had a snake in my bathroom in a house in Florida! No place is perfect but I have to say the ppl here seem a lot friendlier. I love trees so I wouldn't trade the greenery here. Only thing I miss from Florida is my mom and the sunsets!
Don't miss the horrible thunder and ligtning storms.
Glad you are happy back in Florida.
I am sure I will go back to visit someday.
To clarify: I'm not in Florida at all.

I'm in Coastal North Carolina - Wilmington.

I love it here. 2 hours from Raleigh.

We have ocean sunrises, breezes, tons of trees, less bugs, and no snakes.
Outdoor festivals are great and plenty of green trees everywhere.

People here are nice here as well.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintpetegirl View Post
To clarify: I'm not in Florida at all.

I'm in Coastal North Carolina - Wilmington.

I love it here. 2 hours from Raleigh.

We have ocean sunrises, breezes, tons of trees, less bugs, and no snakes.
Outdoor festivals are great and plenty of green trees everywhere.

People here are nice here as well.
Sorry read StPeteGirl and it threw me off. My step sis lives over near you then. We are going to get out that way in Sept when my sis and brother in law come over from UK for their first US visit. Glad to hear it's working out for you there!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary