Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 10:46 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
The community playground of my childhood. Notice the height of the dual sliding boards. No wood chips landings or plastic to be found anywhere. Just wood, steel, iron and concrete. It was great.
That is awesome. Sadly many people would look at something like that these days and only see $$$$ from potential lawsuits.

That slide rocks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 11:04 AM

285 posts, read 1,039,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
The community playground of my childhood. Notice the height of the dual sliding boards. No wood chips landings or plastic to be found anywhere. Just wood, steel, iron and concrete. It was great.
Oh man! That is absolutely awesome! That's exactly what I was hoping to find.

We all managed to grow up, didn't we? I mean, once in a while, someone might break an arm, but childhood injuries build character! And without them, how would you end up with all those signatures and cast art?

Old 12-18-2007, 11:15 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,961,964 times
Sigh. I'm sure there's some old ER docs and nurses who'll disagree with you all that we've lost something by making playground equipment safer.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:31 PM

405 posts, read 1,770,294 times
The park on Club Blvd in Durham... shoot, I can't remember the name. We take my 2.5 year old there all the time. It's small, but it's old school. And yes, it DOES have teeter totters. It's on Club Blvd just a few blocks west of 9th Street.

The park on Garrett Rd just off of 751 is also old school... but a bit in disrepair (and even smaller than the above mentioned park). It has one of the steepest slides I've ever seen in my life too. LOL.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:42 PM

Thank you, procfreq! BTW, what is the side street for the Club Blvd park? Or what is it near?

toot68, my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek. I would never just let my kid loose in an unsafe playground. I'm right there with her, spotting her, the entire time.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:45 PM

405 posts, read 1,770,294 times
Oh oh oh!!! It's OVAL Drive Park. That's the name. Whew... that feels better.

It's on the north side of the street. 210 W. Club Blvd.

http://www.parkgeek.com/parkdetails.cfm?parkid=191

Old 01-07-2008, 12:45 PM

I wanted to thank you guys for the recommendation for Dunham Park in Cary. Turns out that I have a friend with kids who lives within three blocks of the park, so we took our kids there this weekend. Yes, it's as close to an old-fashioned, old school park as I've seen in the Triangle area. Lots of metal equipment, a merry-go-round, a see-saw, and the little springy riding horses and such.

And interestingly enough, my two year old daughter came very close to being bonked in the head on the merry-go-round. I guess I can see why some of these playgrounds are being upgraded. The slides and stuff were SUPER tall and scary, and my daughter climbed so high I almost had a heart attack.

I'll come back, but I'll probably wait until she's a wee bit older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary