Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 09:15 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,696,511 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any in the Cary area besides Cary Christian? We're trying to make plans for next year for our daughter and I really want a half day program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 11:51 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,730 times
Have you looked into the carolina parent magazine? You can find it online and they have some excellent resources for education in the triangle. That may help you at least get a list going of the private kindergartens in the area.

Leigh

Old 12-18-2007, 05:01 PM

44 posts, read 181,782 times
I've looked around at a lot of kindergarten programs in Cary and haven't found any that are half day other than Cary Christian. Maybe because the public schools are all full day, most of the privates follow.....

Old 12-18-2007, 08:44 PM

847 posts, read 3,522,917 times
I don't know anything about Cary, but in Durham these are often called "transitional kindergarten" and are offered by churches. Maybe that will help a little in your search.

Good luck!

Old 12-18-2007, 09:43 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
There is a transitional KG progam in Cary in a church on the corner of Kildaire and SW Maynard. I just can't remember the name of it! It's a big church though, I'm sure you could stop by and ask!

Old 12-19-2007, 04:26 AM

Thanks everyone. My daughter's preschool has a transition program. I am considering it, but I've heard that it tends to get a lot of boys with behavioral problems who aren't ready for kindergarten and that academically they do very little (so it really wouldn't be a substitute for kindergarten).

Old 12-19-2007, 06:00 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,656,638 times
I understand what you are saying about transitional programs. My youngest has a mid September birthday and misses the cutoff for K. No matter how I slice it she will have three years of preschool.

What are your reasons for wanting a 1/2 day program? I think full day is the norm now. The academics are not full day if you are concerned about that. I think just about all the schools have a rest/nap time in the afternoon. If you are looking for something a little less structured have you considered Montessori?

Old 12-19-2007, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
I understand what you are saying about transitional programs. My youngest has a mid September birthday and misses the cutoff for K. No matter how I slice it she will have three years of preschool.

What are your reasons for wanting a 1/2 day program? I think full day is the norm now. The academics are not full day if you are concerned about that. I think just about all the schools have a rest/nap time in the afternoon. If you are looking for something a little less structured have you considered Montessori?
My daughter's birthday is in mid-September too so if she were born a year later she wouldn't be eligible. I've considered giving her one more year of preschool, but she has done very well in preschool and is definitely going to be ready for kindergarten. I guess I'm stuck on half day because it's what I had, plus I've heard it's such a long day and the children are exhausted. It seems like so much of the day is fluff anyway, I'd rather have her at home playing with me and her brother (who is only 16 months younger and very attached to her). I just wish there were some half day options.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:14 AM

847 posts, read 3,522,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
Thanks everyone. My daughter's preschool has a transition program. I am considering it, but I've heard that it tends to get a lot of boys with behavioral problems who aren't ready for kindergarten and that academically they do very little (so it really wouldn't be a substitute for kindergarten).
The couple of TK programs I've heard of were all about academics... getting them ready for kindergarten if they weren't there yet. One that we toured bragged that the kids were reading and doing simple math in the TK program. So maybe there are those kind, too, there.

FWIW, I was concerned with full-day kindy b/c I did half-day, and my kiddo *was* tired at first, but it's not like the teachers didn't know they're 4-5-6 years old. They had down time with reading books, art, PE, ,recess, etc. (Maybe it's more important to find a school that has this kind of down-time in general.) And they got out at 3, so there was plenty of time to bond with his sibling (and, maybe more importantly, opportunity for me to have some rare time alone with the second!).

Old 12-19-2007, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welovedurham View Post
The couple of TK programs I've heard of were all about academics... getting them ready for kindergarten if they weren't there yet. One that we toured bragged that the kids were reading and doing simple math in the TK program. So maybe there are those kind, too, there.

FWIW, I was concerned with full-day kindy b/c I did half-day, and my kiddo *was* tired at first, but it's not like the teachers didn't know they're 4-5-6 years old. They had down time with reading books, art, PE, ,recess, etc. (Maybe it's more important to find a school that has this kind of down-time in general.) And they got out at 3, so there was plenty of time to bond with his sibling (and, maybe more importantly, opportunity for me to have some rare time alone with the second!).
Thanks for the perspective. She's (obviously) my first going off to kindergarten and I just want to make a good choice. I should just be grateful that I have many good choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary