Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 07:19 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,545 times

Advertisements

I went to a nail salon for a pedi a few weeks ago and had a good experience (although I am still surprised at how expensive nail services are here!!!), but I'd like to try a different place.

Can anyone recommend a really great nail salon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 07:28 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
I went to a nail salon for a pedi a few weeks ago and had a good experience (although I am still surprised at how expensive nail services are here!!!), but I'd like to try a different place.

Can anyone recommend a really great nail salon?
I always hear about how cheap nail services are in NY/NJ, but I've only been to high-end spas up that way and those are the same or more than high-end spas here. I wonder how people doing cheap nails make any money or keep a sanitary workplace.

Did you try Platinum Nails at ParkWest Village yet? It's a decent nail place.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I always hear about how cheap nail services are in NY/NJ, but I've only been to high-end spas up that way and those are the same or more than high-end spas here. I wonder how people doing cheap nails make any money or keep a sanitary workplace.

Did you try Platinum Nails at ParkWest Village yet? It's a decent nail place.
just like around here, there is a nail salon in every shopping center on LI and you can get a mani and a pedi Mon-Thurs for $20! Just pedi's are between $15-$18 and some places will give you a 10 minute foot and leg massage. They are all graded by the board of health, I have never had any issues. There was always a steady stream of customers. So they must do OK.

Higher end spa's in my former area charged $35 for a pedicure. I only went there once in a while when I got a gift certificate. It wasn't any better of a pedicure than the $18 pedi's, in my experience.

I have not tried Platinum Nails - I love that shopping center though. Thanks for the rec.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:44 AM

46 posts, read 130,127 times
Signature Nails just opened in in Parkside Town. I enjoyed my pedicure today.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:10 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Yup, it's the one thing way more expensive than here! I was shocked the first time I got a pedi here! And like you said, the places here are no nicer than what you get there - and they are as ubiquitous here as they are there.

I like the place on NC55 in Apex, where I had my most recent pedicure and was very happy with it. It's in the shopping center on the corner of NC55 and Apex Peakway (northeast corner). Might be a bit of a hike depending on where you are.

Platinum Nails has done a good job for me as well.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:54 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
My wife has been going to a place called Red Polish for maybe 8 months or a year after her longtime nail person left the business. Red Polish is in Grace Park at the intersection of Davis and Morrisville-Carpenter road. They also have another location right across the street beside the Walmart Neighborhood Market. They bought it from someone who had a hard time making a go of it before the Walmart came in. They seem to be doing well now. That place has a more "spa like" atmosphere and has kids chairs. My wife has taken her niece over a few times with our sister in law as well as some cousins who all seemed to think it was cool.

She was surprised as they are significantly less expensive than her previous person. They are all Asian at both locations so if that is an issue then you might want to try something else. You can do appointments or just stop by and usually no real wait issues, but you might want to call ahead.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yup, it's the one thing way more expensive than here! I was shocked the first time I got a pedi here! And like you said, the places here are no nicer than what you get there - and they are as ubiquitous here as they are there.

I like the place on NC55 in Apex, where I had my most recent pedicure and was very happy with it. It's in the shopping center on the corner of NC55 and Apex Peakway (northeast corner). Might be a bit of a hike depending on where you are.

Platinum Nails has done a good job for me as well.
Apex on NC55 is not far from me at all.

I went back to the place in Morrisville that I went to the first time. I think I figured out why the services cost more here..... On a Saturday afternoon, 3 employees in the salon and only 1 customer getting a mani. On a Sat. afternoon on LI, every seat would be occupied and there would be no less than 7 or 8 technicians working. I could be off base here, maybe other salons are busier. But the first time I went to this place it was the same thing - 3 or 4 employees, only 2 other customers there. They do a good job though.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yup, it's the one thing way more expensive than here!
BTW - nail spas is not the only thing that costs more here than in NY.

To date, from what I have seen, I would add the following to the list:
  • Water - a LOT more expensive here.
  • Tax on food? even at 2%, that really adds up! (on a side note, this really aggravates me because poor people spend the majority of their money on food. It's just not right)
  • Groceries in general cost more here. Especially meat and produce. yikes!
  • Tax on over the counter meds?? SERIOUSLY? Found this out yesterday while buying Advil Cold and Sinus. And it's not 2% like food, it's the full 6.75%
  • Registering your car for the 1st time
  • There is full tax on clothing here. it's only 1/2 tax on LI (for clothing up to $110 per item)

Old 07-06-2014, 09:09 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
BTW - nail spas is not the only thing that costs more here than in NY.

To date, from what I have seen, I would add the following to the list:
  • Water - a LOT more expensive here.
  • Tax on food? even at 2%, that really adds up! (on a side note, this really aggravates me because poor people spend the majority of their money on food. It's just not right)
  • Groceries in general cost more here. Especially meat and produce. yikes!
  • Tax on over the counter meds?? SERIOUSLY? Found this out yesterday while buying Advil Cold and Sinus. And it's not 2% like food, it's the full 6.75%
  • Registering your car for the 1st time
  • There is full tax on clothing here. it's only 1/2 tax on LI (for clothing up to $110 per item)
But, RE taxes are so much cheaper that I'd think you're still gonna save money if you plan to buy.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
But, RE taxes are so much cheaper that I'd think you're still gonna save money if you plan to buy.
Of course... that's why we moved here. Not sure it's in the cards for us to stay here long term though. We shall see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary