Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 10:01 AM

282 posts, read 820,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Actually, FV has the fastest growing population of any town in NC for towns of over 20,000.
RALEIGH: Wake towns lead in population growth | News | SouthwestWakeNews.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Of course that's percentage of growth, not shear numbers. The percentage is higher since they're a smaller town in the same general vicinity of a ton of growth going on. Same goes for Rolesville. Apex has grown from under 5,000 in 1990 to around 43,000 currently. That's some astronomical growth. It needs to be done correctly though and so far I can't complain.
Obligatory XKCD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 10:41 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,560,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyzbo View Post
Obligatory XKCD
Love it!

Old 07-09-2014, 11:56 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
Not everyone commutes to RTP, either. A Fuquay commute to downtown Raleigh or the Regency/64 area of Cary is not bad at all, and "Fuquay" is a pretty big place. The Crooked Creek/Brighton Forest/Amherst side of Fuquay is positioned really well to benefit from the expansion of 540 and already has good access to 401.
Excellent point. Fuquay and Cary both cover such large areas it really depends exactly where you are. Many may not realize that parts of Fuquay actually have a shorter to commute to RTP than parts of Cary. Same goes for downtown.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:09 PM

66 posts, read 134,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Excellent point. Fuquay and Cary both cover such large areas it really depends exactly where you are. Many may not realize that parts of Fuquay actually have a shorter to commute to RTP than parts of Cary. Same goes for downtown.
I agree. I commute to Chapel Hill from FV and it takes me about 40 mins totally. However, I live right near Bagel's Plus, so it is easy to hop on 55 BYP to get to 540. However, I had a friend who commuted to CH from the 401 side of FV and it took him nearly an hour.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:44 PM

224 posts, read 432,391 times
The commute is what did us in. My husband and I lived in Fuquay for six years. It was funny because I had always wondered how people could live "out there" and never thought I'd move from Cary to Fuquay. However, when we were house hunting and realized we could afford a newer, slightly bigger house in Fuquay, we thought it justified the drive. I was working in downtown Raleigh and my husband was working in Holly Springs, so it was a relatively short commute for both of us. However my husband later got a job in N Cary and then our church moved to N Cary and the commutes became tiring. We still did a lot of things in Cary so we felt like we were always driving. Then we had kids and started going to church in Fuquay, but hubby's commute still wore on us. We really liked living in Fuquay (small town, etc), just wished it was closer to Cary/Raleigh. (I know, I know. ) So finally we moved closer to Cary. We are actually between the Cary/HS border and love it because his work commute is down to 20 mins, we are still close to Fuquay and Holly Springs, so now we live in the middle of everything and everyone we spend time with, instead of feeling like we are so far away! Make sure you buy a house that is close to where you will be spending most of your time!

Old 07-09-2014, 09:48 PM

224 posts, read 432,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
If the husband will be commuting to Fort Bragg after his overseas tour, then FV is a good choice if you want also to be a reasonable distance from Raleigh. I have one relative who bought there for the Crooked Creek golf course, and they liked being there. You get a large house on a large lot.
I heard homeowners in CC are upset because the golf course is closing down

Old 07-09-2014, 09:56 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,840,583 times
Alston Ridge would be relatively convenient as it is right on 55 and very close to the Holly Springs line. You can get to 540 in 5-7 minutes from there.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:17 PM

36 posts, read 48,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazellect View Post
Where are you relocating from? A big city or small town?

I grew up in Jersey City , 15 min from NY ,it the second largest city in NJ - went down by Trenton NJ for work which is a bit smaller but still very urban

Old 07-10-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
The article mentions that: Rolesville, Fuquay-Varina, Morrisville, Holly Springs, Knightdale and Wake Forest have all seen their populations grow by more than 14 percent in the three years ending July 1, 2013. Apex and Cary have grown by 10 percent.

Whether these towns have 11k or 20k residents, they are all growing around the same rate which I find interesting. Could it be that people are not able to afford new homes Apex/Cary? I think this is the case for some. But also, they want a little larger lot. At least these are the things I am hearing from relocating people. As for Wake Forest, Heritage is kicking butt!

absolutely !!! that was our thinking in making the decision to relocate to FV , we looked in all those " go to" towns and found that for a larger lot and home for a significant difference of price in our case 15 minutes further out was not too bad . Im not as familiar with the HW just yet but we did a lot nc 55 and route 1 I believe . I also noticed that if there is traffic issues in some instances it is because of the way people drive . Speeding limits in some areas were 70 higher than NJ and we saw people going maybe 50 in the right lane and would not move over lol .That will be an adjustment

Old 07-10-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAbornNClivin View Post
The commute is what did us in. My husband and I lived in Fuquay for six years. It was funny because I had always wondered how people could live "out there" and never thought I'd move from Cary to Fuquay. However, when we were house hunting and realized we could afford a newer, slightly bigger house in Fuquay, we thought it justified the drive. I was working in downtown Raleigh and my husband was working in Holly Springs, so it was a relatively short commute for both of us. However my husband later got a job in N Cary and then our church moved to N Cary and the commutes became tiring. We still did a lot of things in Cary so we felt like we were always driving. Then we had kids and started going to church in Fuquay, but hubby's commute still wore on us. We really liked living in Fuquay (small town, etc), just wished it was closer to Cary/Raleigh. (I know, I know. ) So finally we moved closer to Cary. We are actually between the Cary/HS border and love it because his work commute is down to 20 mins, we are still close to Fuquay and Holly Springs, so now we live in the middle of everything and everyone we spend time with, instead of feeling like we are so far away! Make sure you buy a house that is close to where you will be spending most of your time!
well being new to the state all together we are not sure where our family will be spending most of our time per say . However , we like to do things that revolve around our kids , we like to be home in the yard playing and grilling . We will getting the children involved in local recreation activities which seems FV has lots of and attending local events . I think going DT Raleight would be once in a while and even going to the mall or movies . So much is yet to be determined since my husband still has 5 years in the military and I have yet to find work . Ill be focusing on criminal justuce /law enforcement work since thats what my career is in . its gioing to be a bit of a discovery as the years go by , just looking for a nice place to raise our children with land .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary