Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 06:28 AM

1 posts, read 731 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to Raleigh from Florida. We have county wide districts as well but the boundaries for schools don't change very frequently. These replies make me think it happens all the time in Wake County. Once a child is in a school, they wouldn't be moved to another school due to rezoning would they? Is the rezoning only for students entering the school for the first time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 06:32 AM

621 posts, read 982,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kels4823 View Post
Once a child is in a school, they wouldn't be moved to another school due to rezoning would they? Is the rezoning only for students entering the school for the first time?
Affects you only when you move in. Once assigned, your children move on a predefined school progression/ assignment path.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:38 AM

360 posts, read 721,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kels4823 View Post
My husband and I are considering moving to Raleigh from Florida. We have county wide districts as well but the boundaries for schools don't change very frequently. These replies make me think it happens all the time in Wake County. Once a child is in a school, they wouldn't be moved to another school due to rezoning would they? Is the rezoning only for students entering the school for the first time?
It really depends on the growth in the part of the county you move to. Some areas are more stable and things won't change much, while rapidly growing areas will be in constant flux with new schools being built all the time, resulting in areas being assigned to it that weren't previously. Some schools also get capped so you may not get into the primary school for a given area. It is entirely possible that your kids go to one school and your neighbor's kids go to another.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:12 AM

525 posts, read 1,298,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by local2rtp View Post
Affects you only when you move in. Once assigned, your children move on a predefined school progression/ assignment path.
Do not take this as the gospel truth. The Wake county school board has basically adopted a "stay-where-you-start" policy in the most recent few years, but that was not the case prior. Students in certain grades were forced to switch schools if they were reassigned. There is also NO school "progression" path anymore. That was in place for one year with the "choice" plan, but now, for example, if your home is zoned for a particular middle school, and your child is in elementary -- if that middle school assignment changes, your child will go to the newly assigned middle school. A new plan is coming up for the 2015-2016 year, and there are no guarantees as to what any new policy will be.

All of that being said, re-assignments are not as frequent as you might believe. Even when a new plan is released, not everyone is affected, not even close (but of course the ones who are are very vocal!!) There are tons and tons of posts here on that topic, just do a search and I'm sure you will find that you can spend the rest of the day trying to sort it all out

Old 07-14-2014, 03:22 PM

25 posts, read 30,704 times
We are thinking of moving to a more established neighborhood, so that would decrease the possibility, right?

Old 07-14-2014, 04:09 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenKay27 View Post
We are thinking of moving to a more established neighborhood, so that would decrease the possibility, right?
It can....but if there is a lot of development in the area or they build a new school it can effect things.

We bought new construction in Wake Forest 12 years ago...and our address has never been affected.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:20 PM

6 posts, read 7,907 times
We are relocating to the area in the next couple months and I've had concerns about redistricting and schools. I have a 5 year old and 2 year old too!

Old 07-14-2014, 04:29 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenKay27 View Post
It does decrease the possibility. Just make sure your idea of established neighborhood isn't "houses that are 5 years old".

Old 07-14-2014, 08:15 PM

621 posts, read 982,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boocake View Post
Do not take this as the gospel truth. The Wake county school board has basically adopted a "stay-where-you-start" policy in the most recent few years, but that was not the case prior. Students in certain grades were forced to switch schools if they were reassigned.
I was responding to the OP on a going forward basis.

When the Margiotta led BOE came along, out went spot nodes, random reassignments, etc. Haven't heard of that happening up until this year i.e., spot nodes. But, compared to the past, I would not expect OP's kids to be moved out of a school before they complete that grade span.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary