Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 09:30 PM

43,032 posts, read 76,548,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
But is it really illegal to record in your own home? What are the laws here regarding that? I know when we were first out here house hunting, a webcam was placed prominently on a fireplace mantle. Our agent saw it too and didn't say a word about it. We don't tend to chat about anything regarding offers in houses so all they got was feedback on how the house showed and our opinions about it. No biggie to us. If it helped them sell it to someone, then more power to them.
It is not illegal to record in your own home.
It is not legal to record others' conversations without their knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 09:33 PM

34,935 posts, read 36,074,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It is not illegal to record in your own home.
It is not legal to record others' conversations without their knowledge.
In other words, you need to inform people that you're recording them.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:33 PM

679 posts, read 807,754 times
This is what my realtor told me: Not all agents take notes when they are out for showings. If they are showing a bunch of houses, by the time they have a chance to leave feedback, there's no way they could remember specific things about each house. When I was looking for a house my realtor took great notes and provided detailed feedback, both good and bad. So I guess it really depends on who the agent is that is showing the houses.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Yep. And be prepared to have totally creeped out people racing through the house so they can visit a serious seller.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon12 View Post
This is what my realtor told me: Not all agents take notes when they are out for showings. If they are showing a bunch of houses, by the time they have a chance to leave feedback, there's no way they could remember specific things about each house. When I was looking for a house my realtor took great notes and provided detailed feedback, both good and bad. So I guess it really depends on who the agent is that is showing the houses.
I print out the flyers for every showing tour, in order, stapled together.
It helps me remember features.
I start to get fuzzy after a dozen or so homes, but usually the buyer has caved well before that.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:19 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,410,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
But is it really illegal to record in your own home? What are the laws here regarding that? I know when we were first out here house hunting, a webcam was placed prominently on a fireplace mantle. Our agent saw it too and didn't say a word about it. We don't tend to chat about anything regarding offers in houses so all they got was feedback on how the house showed and our opinions about it. No biggie to us. If it helped them sell it to someone, then more power to them.
It's legal to record video, but not audio without consent from the person who is being recorded. This issue was brought up, because so many people have cameras inside their home now. I believe this is not just for recording, but if you are remotely watching the home with a camera system. Video is fine, but you cannot use any audio features even if it's not being recorded.

It is also illegal to open the refrigerator while showing the home, which is odd to me. Many times the buyers put it in the offer and want to know what the inside looks like. Maybe some buyers/agents have taken food or something I guess they are grouping it with furniture like dressers and other personal property.

I think others have pointed out everything about the feedback. I think it's best for buyers agents to provide brutally honest feedback. It might hurt some feelings, but in the end it will help the seller.

"house is dirty, baseboards need to be cleaned"
"too much clutter. Seller needs to remove some furniture and personal property"
"carpets need cleaning"
"home had odor from food, pets, garbage, etc.."

Some owners are just oblivious to the issues in their home.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:58 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,800,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
I think others have pointed out everything about the feedback. I think it's best for buyers agents to provide brutally honest feedback. It might hurt some feelings, but in the end it will help the seller.

"house is dirty, baseboards need to be cleaned"
"too much clutter. Seller needs to remove some furniture and personal property"
"carpets need cleaning"
"home had odor from food, pets, garbage, etc.."

Some owners are just oblivious to the issues in their home.
Agree 1000%!
Sellers-if you can't step back and look at your home from a position of being detached from the fact that it is YOUR home, you are not helping yourself. Don't complain about lack of feedback if you have no intention of addressing things that the feedback might point out.
Clean your house.
Declutter.
Mow your lawn.
Buy some mulch or pine straw.
Understand that you are competing with new construction in many cases.
Houses that are in desirable locations/subdivisions, priced properly and are in "unapologetic" condition are selling VERY quickly right now.
If your house is sitting unsold there are only a few reasons for this.
Price
Condition
Some sort of Fatal Flaw (power lines, busy road, generally dated) that you are not acknowledging with price

We got a ton of showings and a ton of feedback when selling our last home. The feedback was consistently about ONE thing-the orientation of our home on a corner at the outer edge of the neighborhood. Our agent kept telling us that it would be a tough sell to a family with kids, but the eventual buyer had 4 kids. The point is that the ONLY objection was something we could not control or fix and the home sold in spite of that.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:04 AM

3,666 posts, read 6,547,946 times
Quote:
All that's required in North Carolina to record any conversation is for at least on participant to know it's being done. So if I record my conversation with you, it's legal. If I record your conversation with someone else and neither knows I'm doing it, that's illegal.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:24 AM

34,935 posts, read 36,074,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
All that's required in North Carolina to record any conversation is for at least on participant to know it's being done. So if I record my conversation with you, it's legal. If I record your conversation with someone else and neither knows I'm doing it, that's illegal.
Yes. But, in the case where you are recording people while you are not home, you'd just have to inform people who will be recorded.

I think it would discourage buyers from viewing your home.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:58 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,454,649 times
Quote:
Is there an exception for nanny cams?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary