Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:32 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times

Advertisements

Pettiness and snobbery know no bounds. You can find them in in any community, age group, and income bracket. Best not to worry about those who suffer from it, life is too short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 10:40 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
You can even find snobs on Internet forums.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:49 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k

Old 07-23-2014, 11:24 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
You can find them anywhere that is certainly true....but I do think some transplants in Cary view it as 'the only' place. Heck, you see that on this board quite a bit with people saying they are moving here and ONLY want to look in Cary because they were told it's the best by someone.

My daughter went to a magnet school downtown with many kids from Cary....there were more than a few parents that turned their noses up when it was discovered that we lived in Wake Forest and not Cary. (WF was too rural, didn't we have livestock running around town, there are actual NC natives that live there (the horrors!) etc etc etc......
Well, I do see people wanting to move to Cary, but I doubt it is snobbishness so much as having had friends and relatives telling them it was the best place to move and being completely unfamiliar with the area so they're taking the advice of people they know.

That and they may already know people who live here in Cary.

I have had a kid who went to a school in Cary when we lived in Raleigh (Cary Elementary, actually... my eldest, back in the late 90s) and I never got any sort of snobbish vibe from anyone there, and I don't recall him ever telling me he felt like people treated him differently because we didn't live in the town limits.

I am an NC native and I live in Cary. I am not the only one. We have others, right here on this board.

There are transplants in WF, too (I have lived there, as well).

I dunno... I am never sure which interactions are perceptions and which are reality, yanno?

Not doubting your story, Scarlet, but still.

I lived in Zebulon for part of my elementary school years and people were snobbish toward us because we lived in an apartment for a couple of years after my parents divorced. I think that small towns can be full of more snobs than larger ones, really.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
You reckon?

Old 07-23-2014, 11:26 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You reckon?
Do WHAT now?

Old 07-23-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Pettiness and snobbery know no bounds. You can find them in in any community, age group, and income bracket. Best not to worry about those who suffer from it, life is too short.
I agree 100%!

I don't know all my neighbors, but I'm pretty sure most people on here would define my neighborhood as a place where they'd suspect you'd find "snobs."

I am surrounded by tech professionals, doctors, lawyers, dentists, CEOs, and people with advanced degrees.

Hell, we are some of those things here in my house.

Yet... I have never felt "left out" here, and I have never seen anyone treat the people who wander through our neighborhood to get to the greenway with any sort of "how dare you walk through our neighborhood from the less expensive neighborhoods across the street!" sort of disdain. Unless their dogs poop in my yard, and then that's me, but it's not because they came from someplace else, it's because I don't like dogs taking a dump in my yard.

But... I digress.

I lived in a neighborhood of tract homes over in Wakefield early in the development of Wakefield Plantation (yes, they even have basic homes over in Wakefield Plantation, for those of you who have never been over there) and it wasn't an expensive neighborhood by any means (around 200-300k for a SFH there right now, in fact). We had some of the most uppity neighbors there. Not all of them. Many were super sweet, but honestly!

If you applied the "rich people are snobs" mentality to them, I was surrounded by trust fund babies and 1%ers. LOL.

I have a friend who has owned a couple of homes in Falls River that made similar comments about snobbery, so I think it can vary by as much as a block or a neighborhood. You just NEVER KNOW.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Interesting. I thought that there was a correlation between income level and snobbishness, but apparently not.

At the very least, it seems like a dirt poor snob would have to work harder at it.
Naw. All it takes is for someone who thinks they're better than other people to get ONE thing nicer than their neighbor and start bragging about it and BAM! The neighborhood snob.

Then, they have a few friends who get in on it, and so on, and so on.

Some people really do need some sort of validation that they are "superior" to others.

I've read that snobbery is often found in people who are not secure with themselves or their lot in life and I think this is true.

How people read snobbery into others where none exists is a mystery to me, but here's an example to consider:

It is well known among those who read my posts on here that my first preference is not tract housing. I'm pretty sure some folks on here think I'm a snob because of it. I'm not. I've just lived in both custom and tract and in researching the differences and living in both, I have found that I prefer custom. I would feel the same way if I was comparing two homes at a modest price (let's use 250k for the Cary area, as that's VERY modest here). I would likely prefer the custom home even if it was the smaller home (or the older home), even though I may wind up with the tract if I needed the space or the older home needed too many updates.

Make sense?

Doesn't mean I think everyone who buys tract is a lowly individual that I plan to step on later while out for a walk.

Does mean that I might sometimes scratch my head when I see someone buying a 700k tract home when they can buy a 700k custom dwelling with the same number of rooms in the same area of town (though possibly 10% less square footage), because that is just not something I could ever see myself doing in that price range in this area.

I'm always thinking resale, even if I plan to live in a home indefinitely.

I hope that makes some kind of sense.

p.s. I do not think I've ever mentioned it, but I'd buy resale tract any day before new construction tract. At least you get to see how well the place held up. If it held up well and still gets a clean bill of health from the inspector? Good!

Old 07-23-2014, 11:44 AM

288 posts, read 361,054 times
If I give a homeless person a dollar, and they roll their eyes at my meager donation, would it be appropriate for me to call them a "snob"?

Old 07-23-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
If I give a homeless person a dollar, and they roll their eyes at my meager donation, would it be appropriate for me to call them a "snob"?
Nope. Just ungrateful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary