Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 09:04 AM

2 posts, read 2,263 times

Advertisements

I have had frozen shoulder for one year now. I have seen an ortho and physical therapists. Both were during the (freezing stage). Has anyone had good luck with a good knowledgeable doctor? This seems to be a condition that there is not a lot known about. I'd like to hear about others successful experiences and who out there can really help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 10:30 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,588 times
I had frozen shoulder last year. Went to Dunn PT for a couple of months and they broke the shoulder free. It was painful and I was pushed to my max pain threshold many times during each session but it all worked out. From what I read at the time, the alternative is to go under while doctors break the restrictive growths all at once versus doing it gradually via PT.
I did a lot of home stretching as well. Also painful. Since then I've continued strength exercises at the gym. Once you break the shoulder free the strength exercises are needed to keep it from happening again.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:39 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,730 times
OK, um, OUCH! Hope you get it worked out. Best of luck!

Old 07-22-2014, 12:10 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
My brother-in-law in NOVA had the "go under" procedure done, although, I'm not sure it was under general, might have just been local. It did work and I think he didn't have as much bruising/pain afterwards as they warned him about.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:19 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
I had frozen shoulder many years ago and took a bad fall right on that shoulder when a dog I was walking tried to get away & tripped me up .

Believe it or not that fall cured my frozen shoulder..

How often can you come out of a bad fall better off

Last edited by kelly237; 07-22-2014 at 12:55 PM..

Old 07-22-2014, 12:24 PM

304 posts, read 369,871 times
The Letterman Towel Technique does work.

David Letterman - Ricky Gervais' Frozen Shoulder - YouTube

(although getting a stubborn Brit to try it is challenging as you'll see)

Old 07-22-2014, 12:34 PM

156 posts, read 304,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
I had frozen shoulder last year. Went to Dunn PT for a couple of months and they broke the shoulder free. It was painful and I was pushed to my max pain threshold many times during each session but it all worked out. From what I read at the time, the alternative is to go under while doctors break the restrictive growths all at once versus doing it gradually via PT.
I did a lot of home stretching as well. Also painful. Since then I've continued strength exercises at the gym. Once you break the shoulder free the strength exercises are needed to keep it from happening again.

I actually waited a year and a half before having the doctor do the manipulation ( stupid of me, but I was changing jobs), but it's the after surgery exercises that gave me my mobility back. I was going three times/week for many months and did at-home exercises (dumbbells and pulleys) several times/day RELIGIOUSLY. I can't even remember which shoulder it was anymore. Strength exercises are absolutely key as well.

I don't live in the area to recommend a PT, but I will tell you that some orthopedists seem to underrate their importance. My own said, "Oh you can go for a week if you like". My therapist said that the more pain you are able to endure in the session the more mobility that will come back to you and he was absolutely right. You DO have to be able to tolerate the pain, no way around that. Shoulders are the most difficult rehab they do because of the range of motion.

Best of luck.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:45 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,423,346 times
Kevin Speer, MD. Specializes in shoulders.

https://www.southeasternorthopedics.com/

Old 07-22-2014, 12:46 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,588 times
To emphasize the pain part: I have a very high threshold for pain and would get to the point of giving up then I'd count to 10 or 20. That helped quite a bit. Keep in mind that you go to that extreme about 40 times per session. If you cannot handle it then the procedure may be the way to go.

Hamira at Dunn PT in Cary was a very good therapist. I'd recommend Dunn and/or Hamira if you go the PT route.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:46 PM

62 posts, read 127,516 times
I have not had any Shoulder problems however, with my sciatic nerve pain, I went through Many different doctors, PT, massages, you name it, I tried it. Well two years after dealing with the immense pain, i was ready to get the surgery done which I was regretting doing. Right before going in to talk with the doctor, a customer of mine saw me limping and said before going to the surgery route, try Allsports Muscle therapy in Cary. Well I thought it was just another PT place, boy was I wrong. They had me back up and running in 6 weeks (doctors said I probably wouldn't be able to run anymore). It is worth at least giving them a call and seeing if they can do anything about your situation, they sure helped me when I thought there was no help left.

All Sport Muscle Therapy | Massage Therapy | Cary, NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary