Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 01:49 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times

Advertisements

Considering taking an office-based job in Cary (I currently telecommute) - going back to the cube would be an adjustment for sure, but the commute - meh.

It takes me 10-15 min to get to I-40 because I'm in the South Square area of Durham, and the job is in SE Cary. Not ideal, but I think there are flex hours for start and stop times.

When would be the best time to go to work? I don't believe Google Maps when they tell me it's a 30 min commute, despite what my overly enthusiastic/hard sell headhunter tells me...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 01:57 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Considering taking an office-based job in Cary (I currently telecommute) - going back to the cube would be an adjustment for sure, but the commute - meh.

It takes me 10-15 min to get to I-40 because I'm in the South Square area of Durham, and the job is in SE Cary. Not ideal, but I think there are flex hours for start and stop times.

When would be the best time to go to work? I don't believe Google Maps when they tell me it's a 30 min commute, despite what my overly enthusiastic/hard sell headhunter tells me...

Thanks!
SE Cary, as in West Lake? Yikes....

Or in the Tryon Road-Kildaire Farm Road area?

Old 07-23-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
SE Cary, as in West Lake? Yikes....

Or in the Tryon Road-Kildaire Farm Road area?
Near Dillard Drive and Jones Franklin Road - I'm so unfamiliar with Cary neighborhoods that I hope I'm saying the right thing!

I feel like I'm in for a stinko commute since I can't easily hop on 64E or on 40.

On the plus side, I'm that much closer to Grand Asia and 35 Chinese

Old 07-23-2014, 02:12 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Near Dillard Drive and Jones Franklin Road - I'm so unfamiliar with Cary neighborhoods that I hope I'm saying the right thing!

I feel like I'm in for a stinko commute since I can't easily hop on 64E or on 40.

On the plus side, I'm that much closer to Grand Asia and 35 Chinese
Over by Crossroads Shopping Center. That's where. You gonna go work for Epic Games?

That's a long commute, but I work from home most of the time and I'm lazy when it comes to commutes.

Should be easier than going in the opposite direction, though.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Over by Crossroads Shopping Center. That's where. You gonna go work for Epic Games?

That's a long commute, but I work from home most of the time and I'm lazy when it comes to commutes.

Should be easier than going in the opposite direction, though.
I wish I were going to work for Epic Games! I think I know some minor html...that'll get me in, right ?

Yeah, any commute will seem longer since I've worked from home since 2009. I will have to buy a work wardrobe again! Not sure my old one fits. I'm too close to my fridge...

Old 07-23-2014, 02:21 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
I wish I were going to work for Epic Games! I think I know some minor html...that'll get me in, right ?

Yeah, any commute will seem longer since I've worked from home since 2009. I will have to buy a work wardrobe again! Not sure my old one fits. I'm too close to my fridge...
On the bright side, that intersection is far from your fridge and you have uncovered a reason to buy cute clothes. I hope your office is business casual so you can wear them all the time.

I'm all about thinking positive.

p.s. I wish I could work at Epic. Alas, my coding knowledge and yours together might not get us beyond a job in QA or something.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:29 PM

Oh yes!

Old 07-23-2014, 02:46 PM

612 posts, read 1,279,674 times
I don't live all that far from South Square, and I feel like it takes me nearly 30 minutes to get to the airport. So, I can't see how that part of cary wouldn't be more than that. I go a little bit on 40, sometimes, for my commute, but not as far as what you'd be looking at. If you can pick your hours I think I'd go with an early start (7am) and an early finish (4pm, assuming an 8 hour day and hour lunch). There isn't much traffic at those times, but the 8am traffic can last until well after 8am, and same with the 5pm traffic on the way home.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-mart77 View Post
I don't live all that far from South Square, and I feel like it takes me nearly 30 minutes to get to the airport. So, I can't see how that part of cary wouldn't be more than that. I go a little bit on 40, sometimes, for my commute, but not as far as what you'd be looking at. If you can pick your hours I think I'd go with an early start (7am) and an early finish (4pm, assuming an 8 hour day and hour lunch). There isn't much traffic at those times, but the 8am traffic can last until well after 8am, and same with the 5pm traffic on the way home.
Thanks! Good point about the airport - nearly 30 min for me too. Hm. Lots to think about.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:52 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,984,591 times
I used to work near South Square and I had a co-worker who lived near Kildaire Farm and Cary Pkwy (not exactly Crossroads, but close-ish). Her commute was regularly 45 minutes to an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary