Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 12:15 PM

19,414 posts, read 27,738,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpains29 View Post
I wonder if this will expedite the opening of the West Cary Whole Foods location
Expedite? I'd more likely think Amazon wishes they could cancel the whole deal. They are more intetested in expanding their grocery delivery service rather than brick and morter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 12:26 PM

6,650 posts, read 5,567,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Expedite? I'd more likely think Amazon wishes they could cancel the whole deal. They are more intetested in expanding their grocery delivery service rather than brick and morter.
Amazon is experimenting with brick and mortar grocery stores - I think there are some people who are hesitant about getting groceries delivered due to the quality of produce etc...

Old 06-16-2017, 01:08 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,834,657 times
I'm sure the Whole Foods name will disappear and the existing stores will be rebranded,wonder how long it will take. I heard on one of the business channels that some stores may be pick up places for groceries ordered in line.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:00 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,712,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I'm sure the Whole Foods name will disappear and the existing stores will be rebranded,wonder how long it will take. I heard on one of the business channels that some stores may be pick up places for groceries ordered in line.
Nah I don't think they'll drop the WF name/branding. It's overly recognizable and I don't think Amazon wants to disrupt the mental continuity between WF current customers and where they shop.

If anything though I imagine seeing Amazon pickup lockers in store and the stores themselves being a quasi-distribution center for Amazon Fresh behind the scenes. Perhaps a rework of Amazon Fresh such that it's Whole Foods Fresh or some other connotation. Who really knows though. It still has to go through shareholder and regulatory approval.

With John Mackey still heading his baby (WF) I don't think you'll see that established brand die. Plus this saying they won't:

Quote:
Amazon says it will keep CEO John Mackey in charge of Whole Foods, will keep the headquarters in Austin, Texas, and will not rename the brand.
Source: http://investorplace.com/2017/06/ama...nc-wfm-buyout/

Old 06-16-2017, 03:22 PM

7,820 posts, read 4,551,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Nah I don't think they'll drop the WF name/branding. It's overly recognizable and I don't think Amazon wants to disrupt the mental continuity between WF current customers and where they shop.

If anything though I imagine seeing Amazon pickup lockers in store and the stores themselves being a quasi-distribution center for Amazon Fresh behind the scenes. Perhaps a rework of Amazon Fresh such that it's Whole Foods Fresh or some other connotation. Who really knows though. It still has to go through shareholder and regulatory approval.

With John Mackey still heading his baby (WF) I don't think you'll see that established brand die. Plus this saying they won't:

Source: Amazon.com, Inc. (AMZN) Stock Surges on Whole Foods Market, Inc. (WFM) Buyout | InvestorPlace
This ^

Old 06-16-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Gotta have a place to hold the merchandise before it gets sent out. AMZN just bought that and an entire distribution network to go along with it.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:55 PM
DPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Gotta have a place to hold the merchandise before it gets sent out. AMZN just bought that and an entire distribution network to go along with it.
Yep! This too!

WF knows groceries. They know how to get produce to their stores. They have a built in distribution network that Amazon knows is "proven" and established. Amazon can rapidly expand and deploy their "Fresh" or whatever future name it goes by across the US with each WF location effectively acting as a distribution center for the "Fresh" service.

"Amazon is buying more than groceries with Whole Foods — it’s also getting more than 400 stores to use as delivery hubs"
https://www.recode.net/2017/6/16/158...elivery-stores

Old 06-16-2017, 04:12 PM

Another interesting aspect is there are a lot of folks hesitant to purchase fresh online because they are worried about the quality of product they'll receive. WF just brought instant credibility to lay that to rest.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:43 PM
DPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Another interesting aspect is there are a lot of folks hesitant to purchase fresh online because they are worried about the quality of product they'll receive. WF just brought instant credibility to lay that to rest.
Good point, didn't think about that. If they know their order is coming from the WF just down the street they'll be less worried it's coming from some depot out by the airport or freighted in from some rural area across the state.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:24 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,536,576 times
and, Publix and Wegmans are such great employers, --they will get the remaining grocer's best employees!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary