Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2014, 01:42 PM

10 posts, read 11,601 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I know this post might be a bit redundant, as many northerners are looking to relocate to the south. My fiancé and I live in Pittsburgh are trying to do as much research as we can before making a decision between Dallas, TX and Raleigh-Durham, NC (move date probably summer - fall 2015). I grew up in Dallas, so I know the life and climate fairly well. It’s a bit too big of a city for me. We have family in both cities. We have visited Dallas a few times and are planning some visits to Raleigh in the near future. I do a lot of online research, but thought I’d consult you all on a few things:

Weather – I hope summer is pretty hot (80s – 90s for the highs most summer days?). Does it seem to be sunny most of the time? Pittsburgh is gloomy and rainy for what seems like at least 80% of the year. On top of that, frigid temps (below 30 degrees) for virtually 4 straight months is a bit obscene. Not to mention clearing several inches of snow off your car for sometimes 5 days in a row gets old. However, I am still absolutely in love with fall.

Housing – I look at a lot of real estate sites regularly and have noticed that there is a plethora of available homes for purchase within our projected budget of $110K - $160K for a 3+bed, 2+bath home which would be 15 years old or newer. Preferably this would be in a planned community with a pool and maybe some trails and parks. My question is: are there any of these planned communities that have regular community get-togethers/events? (Block parties/BBQs, Easter events, etc.) This is a big one for us as what is most important to us is raising a family, and we are super outgoing and friendly. We pretty much know what suburbs seem to be good ones for our needs and price range, but I’m not sure that a realtor could answer the question about the feel of life in the communities (like the aforementioned events). Being close to shopping (Target, malls, WalMart, etc. maybe within like 10-15 minutes) would be a plus.

Sports РMy fianc̩ lives and breathes baseball but pretty much loves all sports. I know about the RBC Center (we love hockey) but where else are there spectator sports venues?

Jobs – My fiancé works for Schwan’s right now but is looking for a new job likely in some sort of sales, including selling cell phones. I am a receptionist for a commercial real estate firm and am in school (online) for Database Management. I am working toward my MTA (Microsoft Technology Associate) Certification and will be looking to obtain another certification after that, likely a SQL Cert. I would continue online classes while working some sort of clerical job or even something wedding or floral related. I was a head designer and bridal consultant for a florist for 4 years, but it would depend on what I could expect for pay.

I really don’t care about whether there is a true downtown area, and from reading the forums I can tell Raleigh really doesn’t have a big city feel, which is fine with me. Thanks for taking the time to read. I know I wrote a lot – feel free to respond with anything I may have not considered or with any suggestions!

*Side note: I am 27, and he is 24. For fun we like to go out to eat, bowl, mini-golf, and see movies.

Last edited by FutureMrsM; 07-31-2014 at 02:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 01:57 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
I'll start off by saying that the median home price in Raleigh is closer to 180k. In Cary, it's just above 200k.

That said, you're looking below median, so as long as your expectations are below average, you should be fine.

Median income in Raleigh is just below 60k for a household. Median in Cary is closer to 70k for a household.

Again, those are median. Just to give you some quick perspective.

Most of our neighborhoods around here are HOA (since you want something 15 years or less old, that would pretty much be ALL as long as you're within an incorporated city/town). Most HOA neighborhoods of any size have pools, amenities, people do gather in some of them, etc.

We have all the stuff you like to do for fun. No issue there.

Weather... pretty much what you think.

Jobs.

That is going to be your biggest issue. Find some before you move. You just never know how it will go with jobs. Unless you have enough saved for the two of you to live here for a year or more renting an apartment until you both find jobs, I would not move here without jobs.

Sports: Not a fan. We have hockey, college sports, and Durham Bulls baseball. Will that do?

Old 07-31-2014, 02:11 PM

10 posts, read 11,601 times
Thanks!

I have to laugh at your comment about the "below average homes" (not in a negative manner). That price range in Pittsburgh will get you OLD, DECREPIT, TINY homes where we'll have to worry about fixing or replacing the foundation, insulation, roofing, etc. I guess your idea of below average far exceeds my best expectation for what we can buy in Pittsburgh. Based on a search on realtor.com (input of 3+ beds, 2+ baths, 0-20 years old, 10-mile radius from Raleigh, and up to $145K), I came back with 586 results! 451 results with a 5-mile radius. I think that same search in Pittsburgh resulted in 6 houses, NONE of which would be in a planned community. It seems prices of housing (purchase of single family homes) has been steadily dropping for about 7 years.

We do know we'd never consider moving before we had jobs.

Thank you for the input!

Old 07-31-2014, 02:21 PM

116 posts, read 172,891 times
Very warm in the summer, although we've been experiencing temps in the low 80s this week, and while delightful, definitely not the norm for July. We do have a very nice fall, in my opinion, it just happens later than in the north. But I like that because it means Thanksgiving isn't gray and dead.

Most people I meet it seems are sports enthusiasts, and there is definitely enough of that to go around. Mainly college sports, though. I am not a sports person, so not the best person to ask!

Lots to do here and I find Raleigh's downtown quite accessible and enjoyable. My husband and I are in our early 30s, and are never at a loss for what to do.

Housing is kinda all over the place. The prices you are seeing are not the average, as RedZin pointed out, but also coming from the north I know how appealing it is! Definitely try and secure jobs first, maybe rent a while until you get to know the area and where you want to be.

Good luck in your decision!

Old 07-31-2014, 02:23 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,426,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMrsM View Post
Hi there! I know this post might be a bit redundant, as many northerners are looking to relocate to the south. My fiancé and I live in Pittsburgh are trying to do as much research as we can before making a decision between Dallas, TX and Raleigh-Durham, NC (move date probably summer - fall 2015). I grew up in Dallas, so I know the life and climate fairly well. It’s a bit too big of a city for me. We have family in both cities. We have visited Dallas a few times and are planning some visits to Raleigh in the near future. I do a lot of online research, but thought I’d consult you all on a few things:

Weather – I hope summer is pretty hot (80s – 90s for the highs most summer days?). Does it seem to be sunny most of the time? Pittsburgh is gloomy and rainy for what seems like at least 80% of the year. On top of that, frigid temps (below 30 degrees) for virtually 4 straight months is a bit obscene. Not to mention clearing several inches of snow off your car for sometimes 5 days in a row gets old. However, I am still absolutely in love with fall.

Housing – I look at a lot of real estate sites regularly and have noticed that there is a plethora of available homes for purchase within our projected budget of $110K - $160K for a 3+bed, 2+bath home which would be 15 years old or newer. Preferably this would be in a planned community with a pool and maybe some trails and parks. My question is: are there any of these planned communities that have regular community get-togethers/events? (Block parties/BBQs, Easter events, etc.) This is a big one for us as what is most important to us is raising a family, and we are super outgoing and friendly. We pretty much know what suburbs seem to be good ones for our needs and price range, but I’m not sure that a realtor could answer the question about the feel of life in the communities (like the aforementioned events). Being close to shopping (Target, malls, WalMart, etc. maybe within like 10-15 minutes) would be a plus.

Sports – My fiancé lives and breathes baseball but pretty much loves all sports. I know about the RBC Center (we love hockey) but where else are there spectator sports venues?

Jobs – My fiancé works for Schwan’s right now but is looking for a new job likely in some sort of sales, including selling cell phones. I am a receptionist for a commercial real estate firm and am in school (online) for Database Management. I am working toward my MTA (Microsoft Technology Associate) Certification and will be looking to obtain another certification after that, likely a SQL Cert. I would continue online classes while working some sort of clerical job or even something wedding or floral related. I was a head designer and bridal consultant for a florist for 4 years, but it would depend on what I could expect for pay.

I really don’t care about whether there is a true downtown area, and from reading the forums I can tell Raleigh really doesn’t have a big city feel, which is fine with me. Thanks for taking the time to read. I know I wrote a lot – feel free to respond with anything I may have not considered or with any suggestions!

*Side note: I am 27, and he is 24. For fun we like to go out to eat, bowl, mini-gold, and see movies.
Without going into the minutiae of where a certain school's lacrosse team plays (ie only looking at revenue sports), other venues are:

Baseball
National Teams
USA Baseball Complex (Cary, NC)

Minor League Baseball

Durham Bulls Athletic Park (Durham, NC) - home of the Durham Bulls, the Triple-A affiliate of the Tampa Bay Rays

Five County Stadium (Zebulon, NC) - home of the Carolina Mudcats, the Advanced-A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians

NCAA Baseball
Boshamer Stadium (Chapel Hill, NC) - home of the UNC Tar Heels
Doak Field (Raleigh, NC) - home of the NC State Wolfpack
Jack Coombs Field (Durham, NC) - home of the Duke Blue Devils

Basketball (Men's)
Cameron Indoor Stadium (Durham, NC) - home of the Duke Blue Devils
Dean Smith Center (Chapel Hill, NC) - home of the UNC Tar Heels
PNC Arena (Raleigh, NC) - home of the NC State Wolfpack

Basketball (Women's)
Cameron Indoor Stadium (Durham, NC) - home of the Duke Blue Devils
Carmichael Arena (Chapel Hill, NC) - home of the UNC Tar Heels
Reynolds Coliseum (Raleigh, NC) - home of the NC State Wolfpack

Football
Carter-Finley Stadium (Raleigh, NC) - home of the NC State Wolfpack
Kenan Memorial Stadium (Chapel Hill, NC)- home of the UNC Tar Heels
Wallace Wade Stadium (Durham, NC)- home of the Duke Blue Devils

Hockey
PNC Arena (Raleigh, NC) - home of the NHL's Carolina Hurricanes

Racing
Wake County Speedway (Garner, NC)

Soccer
WakeMed Soccer Park (Cary, NC) - home of the Carolina Railhawks FC (NASL)

There are also numerous ice rinks that have various house leagues for hockey.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:35 PM

650 posts, read 929,008 times
Quote:
Thanks!

I have to laugh at your comment about the "below average homes" (not in a negative manner). That price range in Pittsburgh will get you OLD, DECREPIT, TINY homes where we'll have to worry about fixing or replacing the foundation, insulation, roofing, etc. I guess your idea of below average far exceeds my best expectation for what we can buy in Pittsburgh. Based on a search on realtor.com (input of 3+ beds, 2+ baths, 0-20 years old, 10-mile radius from Raleigh, and up to $145K), I came back with 586 results! 451 results with a 5-mile radius. I think that same search in Pittsburgh resulted in 6 houses, NONE of which would be in a planned community. It seems prices of housing (purchase of single family homes) has been steadily dropping for about 7 years.

Thank you for the input!
Here in Raleigh the old decrepit homes that are priced thru the roof are inside the beltline (inside the city limits per se). Location, location, location. Many of us live out side of the city limits. I liken Raleigh to Atlanta with a group of tall bldgs downtown with MILES of Urban sprawl surrounding the center. Everybody has the "good" side of town and the other side of the tracks, so does Raleigh.

Foot note for you: Bill Cower lives here! I even went to NC State with him.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:36 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Thanks!

Thank you for the input!
Well, you'll have to cut out 2/3 of those because they'll wind up in not the most ideal neighborhoods.

But, yes... you can find a very affordable home down here if your expectations aren't running along the lines of new construction, top schools, granite counters and stainless steel throughout with hardwoods in every room and a .5 acre lot.

Home prices in our area are rising. I suspect this has to do with the desirability from the area from a jobs, retirement, and general transplantation standpoint.

I think you'd like it here if you can find jobs to suit you.

Best to you both!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary