Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 08:44 AM

5,882 posts, read 6,950,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Doc can give you some prednisone for the itch if it's really bad.
Prednisone works wonders. It is a steroid and you have to do a tapered dosing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 08:53 AM

252 posts, read 275,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Prednisone works wonders. It is a steroid and you have to do a tapered dosing.
This is literally the most miserable thing I've dealt with in the last 10 years, at least. Absolutely terrible and a hard way to learn a lesson about identifying poison ivy and being vigilant.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:15 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
You can also temporarily relieve the itch by putting hot water on it. Not hot enough to actually burn, of course, but as hot as you can stand w/o burning. That apparently releases all the histamines and you will get itch relief for about an hour. Warm water does not work. Has to be very hot. Cold can also be effective, but the itch is just relieved while in contact with the cold. It doesn't last as long as the hot water treatment.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:24 AM

454 posts, read 495,471 times
Arghhhhhh poison ivy... I went to work out of state for a couple of years and nobody took care of my yard when I was gone. When I got back, there was an entire wall of it. I got my first delightful dose of pain. I tried to suck it up but ended up having to go to the doc. He thought I had a weird reaction to it. It was like a big, red hotspot rather than a rash. He recommended Zanfel. It's miserable but that did help clear it up.

My neighbor had some great landscapers so I asked for the owner's advice. He came and looked at was pretty horrified at the amount of it. It wasn't cheap but his crew got rid of it and it hasn't grown back in 5 years.

And whatever you do, don't burn it!

Old 07-17-2015, 10:00 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
I tried the prednisone route once, and it did nothing for me.

Nuke it.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:27 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,341,017 times
So I'm in the middle of a poison ivy rash. Had it for about 2 weeks now, NOT pleasant! Some others in my family has gotten it from our backyard before so I'm pretty sure it is poison ivy.

Problem is our backyard is heavily landscaped with all sorts of vines, bushes, etc that I am having a hard time telling which ones are actually poison ivy.

What's the most effective spray killer?
Or does anyone have a landscaper they recommend that specializes in poison ivy removal?

I want to get rid of this once and for all!

Old 07-17-2015, 11:09 AM

This is poison ivy. It's the front half of the wall I described in my last post. You can see the hairy vines and the "leaves of three".

Old 07-17-2015, 11:12 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Ritter Park, Cary NC by Mike Jaquish, on Flickr

Old 07-17-2015, 11:17 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,256 times
Is that on the wall of the house? Yikes!! Poison Ivy is my arch enemy here in NC! We back to wood and there are 4inch thick hairy vines that I got the owner of that property to cut. I will re-cut and spray the crap out of it in the winter. I am generally a non-toxic no spray, organic gardener. I draw the line at poison ivy. Any homemade concoction was worthless on it. The best thing I have found is suit up, yank, dig pull or whatever and bag it. Then spray.

It is a constant battle by us. It is coming out of the storm water easement on side of our property. I wish I had a goat, it would eat like a king!

Old 07-17-2015, 11:21 AM

One side of my back yard backed onto a commercial building. It's their side wall. They let me put up a fence enclosing my whole back yard so I agreed to take care of that mess (and the pic is only showing half the wall!). Horrible!

Also, it was NJ, not here in NC so I'm sorry I can't recommend my guys to help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary