Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 07:32 PM

750 posts, read 853,653 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if people ever cut down trees in their yard if they are too close to the house and block light or if there are just too many and not enough grass? Is it allowed without a permit? And any idea how much it costs. I have been ruling houses out on the basis that there wasn't enough of a lawn for my liking and now I am wondering whether felling some trees may be the answer?

Or is this a dreadful thing that nobody ever does?

ANy experience welcome

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 07:51 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,588,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
Does anyone know if people ever cut down trees in their yard ...
I felled a tall pine which was close to the house and was being used by squirrels as a "highway" to get onto the roof and thence into the attic.
Quote:
Is it allowed without a permit?
Permit? I never thought to ask.
Quote:
And any idea how much it costs.
Tree services will be happy to quote the job. The fee depends on the size of the tree and whether they are required to remove the tree. Grinding the stump costs extra. Really large trees require the use of a crane and that increa$e$ the co$t.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:07 PM

190 posts, read 276,032 times
It's your land at the end of the day.

But I've seen people buy houses in heavily wooded areas and then proceed to butcher the land just so they can have a bigger, more open, 'conventional' suburban-type lawn. I think it looks disgusting and is about as classless as you can get.

This is a heavily wooded area at heart. We do enough damage as it is. I'm not a hippie by any stretch but the idea of cutting down old, beautiful trees just to have an artificial looking lawn to waste water on doesn't sit well with me.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:25 PM

I sort of agree with you behan - it doesn't seem like the right thing to do. But I can't imagine my boys playing under trees with no grass to run around on. And then there's the snake habitat. You see, foreigners just shouldn't be allowed to move to these parts....

Old 08-01-2014, 08:26 PM

oh and why I asked about permits is that in the UK trees have preservation orders on them if they are old enough and you will end up in serious trouble if you try to remove on - maybe need that here too.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:40 PM

4,252 posts, read 3,172,411 times
Don't know of any permit requirements but I have lived in a subdivision with restrictions on cutting down any tree greater than 3" in diameter.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:30 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,102,359 times
we cut down 16 trees in our yard when we moved in (and still probably have over 30 on our .4 acre lot).
its not cheap, it depends on how accessible the trees are and the cost usually goes down per tree.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:44 PM

Could you tell me roughly what 16 trees cost?

Old 08-01-2014, 09:45 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times
Some HOAs won't let you cut down hardwoods unless they're diseased or in danger of damaging your property.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:47 PM

190 posts, read 276,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
I sort of agree with you behan - it doesn't seem like the right thing to do. But I can't imagine my boys playing under trees with no grass to run around on. And then there's the snake habitat. You see, foreigners just shouldn't be allowed to move to these parts....
When I was little I lived in a very heavily wooded area so I have a different view. It's all perspective. I spent hours and hours exploring the woods, climbing trees, armed with countless sticks & acorns/pinecombs to throw at my sisters, creeks to play in and look for crawfish, and mulberries & crab apples to eat. A grass lawn doesn't seem all that hot.

I might have taken my fair share of oatmeal baths though

I get that it's black and white to compare the woods & suburban living and that there's a grey area in many different parts here. But with all this rapid development occurring here in the Triangle and many areas completely unrecognizable to just 15-20 years ago, I don't see the point of buying land with lots of trees (and maybe that being part of its charm?) and then cutting them all down. Seems like a shame. There are plenty of plots where the developers have already done that for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary