Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 11:51 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times

Advertisements

I tend not to think of the Cameron Village are at all as very appealing for "family". I used to manage a bookstore in CV and our demographic was mostly college kids, hippies/20something former college kids, and the elderly. The children's section of our store was TINY compared to our branches everywhere else, based on relative sales.

Don't forget the college bars/ brew pubs all around there...while the CV area is IMHO the best part of town for adults to live in, I don't think it's exactly a "Brady Bunch" neighborhood. And, you'd want to find out which schools are fed from that area, too, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 12:23 PM

14 posts, read 51,741 times
I work on Centennial Campus and live in the Kildaire Farms area of Cary.

"Newer" apartment complex:
- There are a number of nice townhome style apartments and condos in the area, as well as homes. They are not year 2000 or newer but most seem to be built in the early 90s. I love the area.

Downtown amenities:
- Its in Cary, so its farther from downtown

Good schools (pre-school and kindergarten)
- Wake county is wake county, no guarantees where your kid will go to school , but there are some private schools that are quite good in the area.

Family-friendly:
- I love kildaire farms, lots of nice families in our subdivision.

Relatively safe:
- Cary is freakishly safe from a statistical point of view. Check out City-data's compiled stats: http://www.city-data.com/city/Cary-North-Carolina.html... down the page there you will see crime statistics. Very very low.

Diverse areas:
- We seem to have diverse house sizes, resident ethnicity, and age groups.

Pedestrian-friendly:
- Kildaire farms was a planned unit development, and has a few greenway walk paths. Some of the traversing streets (Kildaire Farms Rd., Lake Pine, etc) have both sidewalks and bike lines on the side. The speed limits on many roads in NC can be upto 45, and there have been a number of runners/jaywalkers who have been hit, so be careful.

Close to shopping:
- Kildaire farms is close to a number of nice strip malls off of kildaire farms rd, including a nice Trader Joes!

Short commute to NCSU Centennial Campus:
- I also work in Centennial Campus and it is a fast commute, 15 min on back roads, 8-10 on the freeway. 1/64N and the 40 merge do get backed up around 7:30 even though we are going east on 40, the right lane opens to the 40 west exit just after the 40 east, so its back up. I usually go the back roads, Tryon is a nice ride in.

Hope that helps and happy hunting!

Old 12-27-2007, 02:39 PM

14 posts, read 37,082 times
Default Family-Friendly Neighborhoods Close to Centennial Campus

Thanks to all who have responded to my thread thus far...

On a related matter, can anyone recommend any reputable property management firms?

Happy Holidays!!!

Old 12-27-2007, 03:42 PM

324 posts, read 1,285,146 times
We've been happy with Ticon Properties. They have a bunch of different communities.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:06 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I tend not to think of the Cameron Village are at all as very appealing for "family". I used to manage a bookstore in CV and our demographic was mostly college kids, hippies/20something former college kids, and the elderly. The children's section of our store was TINY compared to our branches everywhere else, based on relative sales.

Don't forget the college bars/ brew pubs all around there...while the CV area is IMHO the best part of town for adults to live in, I don't think it's exactly a "Brady Bunch" neighborhood. And, you'd want to find out which schools are fed from that area, too, of course.
It's not run over with kids but not everyone wants to raise thier kids in suburbia. CV doese have some great resources for kids, namely a fantastic public library. Also, the neighborhoods downtown are more likely to be in the gifted/talented or international school zones. Broughton HS and Enloe are arguably the best H.S.'s in the County and Ligon is one of the best middle schools. I would not discount that area for raising a family just because it doesn't mimic suburbia anywhere.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:25 PM

22 posts, read 83,913 times
I think Cameron Park would be a fabulous place to raise a family, but you're not looking to purchase right now - you're looking for an apartment. As a current owner of a Cameron Village Condo, I couldn't see myself having a family in my particular area, as I would want a little more square footage, but I also wouldn't discount the surrounding areas like Five Points and Hayes Barton (where I grew up). I echo the Oberlin for young professionals, but the person who mentioned living in Cary - that's not far at all from where you'll be working. Kildaire Farms area is wonderful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary