Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 01:19 PM

121 posts, read 177,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah42 View Post
Is there a booklet to study? I only ask because signage can be a bit different from state to state. When I moved to MN, the test was all about signs and what to to do when encountering snowplows or icy roads. Being from California, I had to study up. We are hopefully relocating soon. I am sure the sign test is easy to pass, but there could be a weird signage surprise to a newbie. Thanks!
The NC Driver's Handbook, sample written test and sign test info is on the following page.

NCDOT: Driver License Tests
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 02:18 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,964 times
WAIT! No more written test? That thing was tricky--not hard, but tricky.

The NCDOT site still shows written test as a requirement. . . .

Old 08-05-2014, 02:55 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
They just changed it a couple of months ago...no "written" test for most licensed drivers moving from out of state or NC drivers whose licenses are expired less than two years. New drivers still have to take the test. Everybody gets eye and road sign tests.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:58 PM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
Way back when I first got my license in Georgia, they had just started using "electronic machines" to replace the written test. It consisted of a screen with multiple choice questions. There was a physical bar across the bottom portion of the screen. If you got a question wrong, the bar would move, showing the correct answer. On many of the machines, the bar slammed down, making a fairly loud noise. You could tell who was not going to pass just by listening to how often you heard the slam!

Old 08-05-2014, 03:15 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah42 View Post
Is there a booklet to study? I only ask because signage can be a bit different from state to state.
I remember when I took the sign test I struggled to identify what a yellow circle was (the signs in the test were by shape - they were otherwise blank). The examiner said "choo choo." (Even I was able to get it right with that hint.)

Old 08-05-2014, 06:01 PM

750 posts, read 853,084 times
My husband did his NC licence last week - there was a sight test and part of that was identifying 3 or 4 signs. Then there is a multiple choice test where you need to get 20 out of 25 then a short driving test of about 10 mins. He passed and he can hardly drive lol Just kidding but I don't let him drive me anywhere....

Old 08-05-2014, 07:00 PM

595 posts, read 676,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
They just changed it a couple of months ago...no "written" test for most licensed drivers moving from out of state or NC drivers whose licenses are expired less than two years. New drivers still have to take the test. Everybody gets eye and road sign tests.
This explains what I was told perfectly. My friend got her license last November and these folks got their license 2-3 weeks ago.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:03 PM

197 posts, read 208,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
My husband did his NC licence last week - there was a sight test and part of that was identifying 3 or 4 signs. Then there is a multiple choice test where you need to get 20 out of 25 then a short driving test of about 10 mins. He passed and he can hardly drive lol Just kidding but I don't let him drive me anywhere....
I believe your husband came from outside of the US thus no US license, correct? That's why he had to take the written and drive test. The OP seems to come from Northeast so it's not the same situation. You just wanted to share the story I'm sure, but this response could be misleading (No offence, really).

Old 08-05-2014, 07:07 PM

100 posts, read 136,162 times
Thanks for this info...my wife and I relocated from MD area and had just started studying the driving book this week...

this is going to save a lot of time if all we have to do is study the signs

Old 08-05-2014, 07:36 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post

The NCDOT site still shows written test as a requirement. . . .
It was tricky! I remember as a teen moving here and taking that test. I was warned it would have some trick questions so not to fall for them. Well, being fresh off the boat from England, I thought I had caught their trick question which said something like, if you are driving on the pavement and run off it, what should you do? I thought, oh no, you don't get me with this one, you shouldn't be driving on the pavement to begin with! You see, in the UK the pavement is the sidewalk. The road is called just that, not called the pavement as in the US.

Thankfully I got all the other questions right other than this one. My friends had a good laugh at me for this. But hey, they don't give you an American English translation book when you land here. How was I to know Americans call the road the "pavement".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary