Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 07:42 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
I'm annoyed by the car salesman's lack of product knowledge. Yes, this varies by individual. Actual experience:

Salesman: This model comes only with automatic transmission.
Me: The car we are leaning against, the specific car I'm considering buying, has a clutch pedal.
Salesman: {blank stare}

... later in the conversation with the same salesman ...

Salesman: This car has automatic skid control. When it senses a skid, it automatically locks up the rear differential.
Me: This car has front wheel drive. There is no rear differential.
Salesman: {blank stare}

This was proabably 15+ years ago, but a funny (annoying) story like yours. I was considering Accords and Camry's. Wanted the V6. This was in Sanford.

Great experience with the Honda Dealer, other than him touting the benefits of Dual Exhaust, which was kinda funny because they really run a splitter and two mufflers. (not true Dual)

But then at the Toyota Dealer, the comparable Camry was several thousand dollars more. I asked the guy to justify it, and he had two selling points:

1. The camry had dashboard key entry, not steering column (Whaaaa? That's worth anything?), so then he went to:
2. The Camry has the exhaust manifold in the front of the hood, not the back, so according to the sales guy, it keeps heat away from the instrument panel on the dash, and allows them to last longer. LMAO.

But this was a V6, which means that there was an exhaust manifold on both sides, and I knew it. So I played dumb and asked the guy to pop the hood and show me what he meant. Much better than a blank stare when he saw the exhaust on both front and back of the motor.

Yeah, pretty much worthless. (Anymore, I decide what car I want, and what I'm willing to pay, and then find out who can and will sell it. That's it.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 04:17 PM

84 posts, read 131,741 times
Will fill in the forum later on what transpired ..... it is a twisted tale ..... for now, I have called it quits with them.

I need advice on which Toyota dealer to buy from.
I don't mind other towns.

I also need to understand which towns to AVOID (with a none too good reputation) in looking for a used car.

Last edited by Singh Saab; 08-11-2014 at 04:29 PM..

Old 08-11-2014, 05:46 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Do you really want to buy from this dealer?

Take your money and forget the bad deal.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:45 PM

84 posts, read 131,741 times
That's what I am finally doing .....

I need to find a good one.

Who should I go to?

Old 08-11-2014, 08:43 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Fred Anderson in Raleigh.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:46 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Fred Anderson in Raleigh.
Anderson was good years ago but, especially in service, is subpar.

I recommend Leith. Just do your homework.

Last time, I got my trade appraised byCarmax and presented that to Leith who matched it.

Also, be aware the dealers here don't sell the official Toyota extended warranty. If you want a good deal and a factory warranty, this dealer will sell one at a great price within 3 years and 36,000 miles. I've been very happy with this plan, backed by Toyota

Toyota of Greenfield
1 Main Street
Greenfield, MA 01301

Attn: Troy Dietrich

Phone - (413) 772-0231 (Dealership)

Old 08-12-2014, 04:55 AM

821 posts, read 1,461,543 times
[quote=saturnfan;36046285]Anderson was good years ago but, especially in service, is subpar.

/QUOTE]

Agree 100%. Was thrilled with them 15 years ago - and I've tried repeatedly to give them 'revisits' over the last 6 or 7 years, and if there were no other choices in the area, I'd probably trade my Toyota for a Honda. Perhaps they're not bad for purchasing new, but I certainly wouldn't consider then as a viable service option.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:33 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
I thought OP was talking about purchasing a car (Used I think).

Why would anyone use a dealer for service issues, other than during the warranty period?

....and for that matter, if you (OP) are buying used, you might consider Carmax. Likely not the 'best' deal out there, but you'll pay a fair price, for a car that has been vetted (no pun intended), and will have a solid service program to back it up. I've not bought from them, but many friends have, and I would not rule it out for the right kind of car...

Old 08-12-2014, 05:34 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
We love Fred Andersson and only get our cars from there. Have worked with them in Raleigh and in Sanford.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:35 AM

821 posts, read 1,461,543 times
I guess I would consider service if I were buying a new car as I thought they typically offered service plans under the new car warranties. It's been a while, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary