Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 05:41 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
Oh please. Spare me the "transplant" vs. "native" angle. That's hardly the reason for wanting to change the grading scale. And fwiw, it's not just how they do it "up North".
You have two things against you. You increased the population of the area and you're from up north. Took him longer than expected.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 06:38 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
If common core is being implemented with the purpose of having all states/kids on the same page then there should be one grading scale used throughout the country. I am glad to hear that scores are all re-calculated for college.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:39 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
You have two things against you. You increased the population of the area and you're from up north. Took him longer than expected.....
It is almost on cue...

Old 08-28-2014, 06:46 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Back in the day, kids were graded on the bell curve. There were as many Ds and Fs as As and Bs.
I'm calling BS on this one. You're saying schools used to fail as many kids as they passed. So half the kids flunked? I guess schools back in the day were abject failures, such at they couldn't successfully teach a large portion of the student population. Either that or a large portion of kids back in the day were so utterly stupid they couldn't be taught.

You know, there's nothing wrong with the fact that most kids in a class might be able to demonstrate mastery of the material they are expected to learn. Some would call that successful education. Thank God things aren't like they were "back in the day."

Old 08-28-2014, 07:13 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Back in the day, kids were graded on the bell curve. There were as many Ds and Fs as As and Bs. Now we have a skewed curve so everyone can do well and feel successful. Fs are rare. Ds are unlikey.
Not at my kids' middle school. Unfortunately. And they give kids an opportunity to fix mistakes to gain mastery but no grade can be raised above a 70% when the initial test was failed.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:35 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarberryPl View Post
Not true. My daughter got offered merit scholarships from several schools and her GPA was not in the 5/6 range.

Ex: Auburn GPA is 3.5, University of Alabama GPA is 3.5, USC is 3.6 etc.

Here's a list of requirements for guaranteed merit scholarships by state and school:

65 Colleges with Guaranteed Merit Scholarships

Yes, that's true for admissions. But not for merit scholarships. I know. I experienced it firsthand with my daughter.
apparently, the word "merit" has a new meaning too.

surely we can agree that a student with a 94 average > a student with a 92 average.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
surely we can agree that a student with a 94 average > a student with a 92 average.
Statistically, no, we can't. Yes, they have on average performed better on tests. That correlates reasonably with how well and how much material they have learned, but it cannot measure everything. A 2% test differential may not be meaningful in measuring which student is "better." Similar to margin-of-error sampling issues in polling. A test is a sampling of knowledge learned.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:37 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,984,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Yes and No....

I transplanted here in 1972 from Los Angeles (definitely not "up north").
I transplanted here in 2006 from New York (definitely the "up north" in question).

FWIW, I have lived south of the Mason-Dixon line for the majority of my life.

Quote:
FCPS actually uses a modified 10-point scale that works like this: 80-82= B- (2.7 points), 83-86=B (3 points), and 87-89=B+ (3.3 points). Cs and Ds work the same. And for A's the only difference is there is no A+ (93 and above is worth 4 points).
I really like that. I had read it somewhere, but couldn't remember the specifics. Thanks for posting it!

Old 08-29-2014, 09:30 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
My point wasn't that there were so many Fs, rather than there were very few As. Now half the class might be getting an A, which is possible statistically, just not very likely in a diverse socioeconomic class.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:32 AM

Yeah, grade inflation is a real issue. Especially true at the college level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary