Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 07:04 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times

Advertisements

From today's Charlotte Observer:

Quote:
The way North Carolina high schools assign A’s and B’s could soon change as the state Board of Education examines the standard grading scale.

The board, meeting in Charlotte this week, is expected to vote Thursday to move the state’s high schools to a 10-point grading scale from the seven-point scale that has long been used.
North Carolina high schools may change to 10-point grading scale | CharlotteObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 10:44 AM

135 posts, read 162,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
In fact, the Fairfax (VA) school district, which is often used as an example of a good large, county-wide school district, changed its grading scale from a 7 point scale to a 10 point scale based on exactly what the OP pointed out. Their students were put at a disadvantage when it came to out of state college admissions and scholarships.
And Loudoun County School District (right next to Fairfax) did the same a year or two afterwards. It certainly could impact scholarships and other things that are based at least in part on a non-adjusted GPA. However, from my conversations with those who would know better than I and my observations of acceptance rates in my area, I am sure that it is not much if any issue with college acceptance and admissions. I did see a situation where being in a good school ended up (temporarily) harming a young man with college. He had a GPA well over 3.0 vs. another young man who had a GPA just over 2.5. The difference was class rank as the first young man was in the lower half of his class at a good school and the other was in the upper half of his class at a lesser school. I know both of them - no permanent issue and they still joke about it. FWIW, the second young man quit college after 3 semesters...the other still in school and making Dean's List...

Point is that that even two kids at the same school at the same time with the same grading system won't be the same even if they share the same GPA. Everyone is different and from my experience, the colleges know this and do a pretty good job at working towards the right solutions. Yes, there are issues and there probably always will be, but I believe the colleges are doing what they can to improve.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:19 AM

10 posts, read 21,330 times
Smile victory!

After a long dissapointment of a 7 pt scale, WCPSS has voted to change to a 10 pt scale with middle and high school starting the 2015-2016 school year.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:05 AM

4,254 posts, read 3,174,568 times
In my mind, the use of a 7 or 10 point grade scale is of little to no importance. It serves as a performance reference point and that is all. Going from one to the other doesn't make you any smarter! Growing up in Ohio we had a 7 point system. In college it varied by class (7, 10 or curve). Seems to me this was just a solution looking for a problem!

Old 01-22-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
In my mind, the use of a 7 or 10 point grade scale is of little to no importance. It serves as a performance reference point and that is all.
No, that's not all. The numeric scores are converted into letters, and those letters (and the associated grade point) are what matters. You can certainly disagree with the change, but I don't see how you can say it's of "little to no importance" when it has the potential to make some significant shifts in GPAs for some students.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:59 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
It makes a huge different when a kid in VA and a kid in NC are applying to the same college and one has a higher GPA than the other because one got an A and the other got a B for the exact numerical grade in a class.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:01 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
It makes a huge different when a kid in VA and a kid in NC are applying to the same college and one has a higher GPA than the other because one got an A and the other got a B for the exact numerical grade in a class.
I wish we could ditch letter grades and just use numerical ones for college admissions purposes.

I think the letter is fine for a regular report card, though.

That way, it would be totally irrelevant which grading scale had been used, because all scores would be normed anyway.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:44 AM

4,254 posts, read 3,174,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
No, that's not all. The numeric scores are converted into letters, and those letters (and the associated grade point) are what matters. You can certainly disagree with the change, but I don't see how you can say it's of "little to no importance" when it has the potential to make some significant shifts in GPAs for some students.
I don't care about the change one way or the other as it makes no difference. In my experience, those in college admissions (and I have one in the family) are pretty astute. They understand the difference between a 10 point and 7 point scale and the grade ramifications of such. As you know there are many other factors that also come into play.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
I don't care about the change one way or the other as it makes no difference. In my experience, those in college admissions (and I have one in the family) are pretty astute. They understand the difference between a 10 point and 7 point scale and the grade ramifications of such.
I'm amazed that those in college admissions at hundreds of colleges across the country can keep up with which grading scale each local or county school district uses so that they are able to astutely adjust for the differences when comparing two candidates with similar GPAs from school systems using different grading scales.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:07 AM

10 posts, read 21,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
You and your kids will survive. Many districts around the nation use this scale I didn't even realize that some still used the older 10 point scale any longer. This new one doesn't put anyone at a disadvantage.....do the best level work possible and go from there.

I have spoke with a few colleges and they have told me that NC were at a disadvantage. But, no worries now. WCPSS has changed to the 10 point scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary