Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2014, 05:17 PM

8 posts, read 20,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Ravenscroft also not far off from original estimate.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 06:06 PM

342 posts, read 386,028 times
I'm really surprised that you are not willing to live in the subdivision you really like because your kids would be sent to Sanford Creek. While there are some schools that are so bad I wouldn't move into a neighborhood, Sanford Creek is nowhere in that category. It's a good school. It's rated 7 on Great Schools and I"ve heard no major complaints from the several friends who go there. Yes, Jones Dairy and Heritage Elementary (where my kids went) are better schools and have a better reputation. But Sanford Creek is totally fine. Especially since you would most likely be able to get into Jones Dairy when the cap is lifted. I really don't think that the education your kids would receive at Sanford Creek would prohibit them from going to a top tier college.

Also, have you talked to Jones Dairy to see if there are spots in your kids grades? You can go to the school if there are spots in your kids grade. Also, when do they anticipate the cap being lifted? I know that when Heritage Middle was capped it only lasted a year. If you are building, the cap might be lifted.

Another option would be Thales Academy in Wake Forest. It's an affordable private school which uses direct instruction and is owned by the founder of Franklin Academy, which is a charter school. The tuition is 5300 for K-5 and might be an alternative until the cap is lifted if you are completely uncomfortable with Sanford Creek.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:25 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,664,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferg72nc View Post
I'm really surprised that you are not willing to live in the subdivision you really like because your kids would be sent to Sanford Creek. While there are some schools that are so bad I wouldn't move into a neighborhood, Sanford Creek is nowhere in that category. It's a good school. It's rated 7 on Great Schools and I"ve heard no major complaints from the several friends who go there. Yes, Jones Dairy and Heritage Elementary (where my kids went) are better schools and have a better reputation. But Sanford Creek is totally fine. Especially since you would most likely be able to get into Jones Dairy when the cap is lifted. I really don't think that the education your kids would receive at Sanford Creek would prohibit them from going to a top tier college.

Also, have you talked to Jones Dairy to see if there are spots in your kids grades? You can go to the school if there are spots in your kids grade. Also, when do they anticipate the cap being lifted? I know that when Heritage Middle was capped it only lasted a year. If you are building, the cap might be lifted.

Another option would be Thales Academy in Wake Forest. It's an affordable private school which uses direct instruction and is owned by the founder of Franklin Academy, which is a charter school. The tuition is 5300 for K-5 and might be an alternative until the cap is lifted if you are completely uncomfortable with Sanford Creek.
Direct instruction is not suitable for most kids.....and I have real issues with Franklin Academy using dog clickers to 'train' the kids.....not impressed with most of the students to be honest.....they don't know how to think....just memorize and regurgitate.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:33 PM

342 posts, read 386,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Direct instruction is not suitable for most kids.....and I have real issues with Franklin Academy using dog clickers to 'train' the kids.....not impressed with most of the students to be honest.....they don't know how to think....just memorize and regurgitate.
I actually completely agree with you. And sometimes feel I am the only person in WF who never applied to Franklin Academy. I actually drove my kids to school in NR when we lived in Youngsville instead of Thales because it wasn't a fit for my kids. However, I have many friends who go there who it is a great school for their kids and since it is focused on achievement and structure, I thought it might be a fit for the OP. But I agree it is not for everyone and wouldn't have worked for my kids.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:04 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,857,022 times
Quote:
Wowza, you must be exhausted from interviewing all the kids at Franklin and Thales.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:43 PM

33 posts, read 50,112 times
I've heard good things about Brassfield, and there seems to be housing that area that fits your size requirements. You might want to check out Lacy also.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferg72nc View Post
I actually completely agree with you. And sometimes feel I am the only person in WF who never applied to Franklin Academy. I actually drove my kids to school in NR when we lived in Youngsville instead of Thales because it wasn't a fit for my kids. However, I have many friends who go there who it is a great school for their kids and since it is focused on achievement and structure, I thought it might be a fit for the OP. But I agree it is not for everyone and wouldn't have worked for my kids.
Not the only one by far........and it is almost in my backyard.....even one of the teachers there that i know wouldn't send her kids to it and they got automatic spots. I think many parents don't do their homework on the place. They see charter school and think it's somehow better without finding out the details.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Wowza, you must be exhausted from interviewing all the kids at Franklin and Thales.
I know a lot....and a few teachers.....and I know what direct instrution is......though Franklin has to tone it down some to meet education standards and keep the public money flowing. Not everyone is impressed with the place for very good reasons.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:05 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,857,022 times
Quote:
I know a lot....and a few teachers.....and I know what direct instrution is......though Franklin has to tone it down some to meet education standards and keep the public money flowing. Not everyone is impressed with the place for very good reasons.
Maybe, but frankly, it sounds like you have an axe to grind.

FWIW, my kids go to public school.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Maybe, but frankly, it sounds like you have an axe to grind.

FWIW, my kids go to public school.
It's no secret that I don't like the school....it's my opinion and the reasons why I believe it. Do your own research....look into what direct instructipn is and form your own opinions....but just because something is a charter school does not make above criticism. And for the record...there are several other charter school that I think highly of so it's not that I dislike all of them.....I just dislike Franklin and think parents paying for it at Thales is ridiculous.

Last edited by ScarletG; 08-11-2014 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: darn auto correct
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary