Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 08:31 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,985,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Does MacGregor Downs have homes in the size the OP is looking for? You will certainly find wooded lots there. For that matter, what about Preston? Tinka mentioned some of the schools that Preston is assigned to I believe some parts might be assigned to Weatherstone which also is a good elementary school.
MacGregor West would probably have homes in the size she's looking for. MacGregor would likely be a reno or tear-down and re-build to get what she'd want.

Preston and Preston Village would both get the OP what she's looking for, although again, may need to buy a house in the $6-700s and then add additional sq. ft. and/or do some updates.

And yes - I forgot about Weatherstone. I don't know anyone who has kids there, and for some reason, it was always under-enrolled in the past. However, now that they made it a STEM school, it seems to be increasing in popularity.

FWIW, here's how Preston is zoned for elementary schools (right now):
Preston Village -- Green Hope ES (Carpenter YR option)
The majority of Preston (east of Davis Dr.) -- Weatherstone ES (Morrisville YR option)
A small sliver of Preston closest to Morrisville Pkwy -- Morrisville ES (Weatherstone Trad. option)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 06:03 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
MacGregor West would probably have homes in the size she's looking for. MacGregor would likely be a reno or tear-down and re-build to get what she'd want.

Preston and Preston Village would both get the OP what she's looking for, although again, may need to buy a house in the $6-700s and then add additional sq. ft. and/or do some updates.

And yes - I forgot about Weatherstone. I don't know anyone who has kids there, and for some reason, it was always under-enrolled in the past. However, now that they made it a STEM school, it seems to be increasing in popularity.

FWIW, here's how Preston is zoned for elementary schools (right now):
Preston Village -- Green Hope ES (Carpenter YR option)
The majority of Preston (east of Davis Dr.) -- Weatherstone ES (Morrisville YR option)
A small sliver of Preston closest to Morrisville Pkwy -- Morrisville ES (Weatherstone Trad. option)
Thank you, school wise I am not sure where MacGregor is assigned but it is pretty in there. Tall trees since it is an older neighborhood. OP perhaps when you come to visit the are you can use some of these neighborhood suggestions as a starting point or find a realtor and give them this list to start with.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:18 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,985,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Thank you, school wise I am not sure where MacGregor is assigned but it is pretty in there. Tall trees since it is an older neighborhood. OP perhaps when you come to visit the are you can use some of these neighborhood suggestions as a starting point or find a realtor and give them this list to start with.
I think MacGregor is assigned to Apex Elementary. I know some people who live over there. They send their kids to private school (one to St.MaryM and one to St. Michael's).

Old 08-19-2014, 09:02 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllePlus6 View Post
We are heavily weighing Chapel Hill, but in Chapel Hill, we lose the opportunity of year-round schooling. It is also not Wake County.
No, it's not, but is there a reason you specifically wanted Wake County, given that CH schools are generally considered better?

Old 08-19-2014, 10:01 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
No, it's not, but is there a reason you specifically wanted Wake County, given that CH schools are generally considered better?
I think it's because CH is more expensive AND her husband has to commute to NCSU area every day.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:13 AM

143 posts, read 201,708 times
It should be noted that Thales Academy is anti-LGBT. That will be a plus for some, a minus for others.

For us it was a bullet dodged.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:15 AM

143 posts, read 201,708 times
I would like to mention that the cost of living here is much less expensive than your home city. Especially real estate.

That may explain some of the reactions you are getting

Old 08-21-2014, 11:26 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenbot View Post
I would like to mention that the cost of living here is much less expensive than your home city. Especially real estate.

That may explain some of the reactions you are getting
Actually, homes cost less in Ann Arbor.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:35 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think it's because CH is more expensive AND her husband has to commute to NCSU area every day.
But there are places in other counties that are less expensive AND closer to NCSU than some parts of Wake. Clayton, for example, is probably a better commute to NCSU than Wake Forest is. she just seemed pretty adamant about Wake county without saying specifically why, as opposed to "within an XX-mile radius of NCSU".

If she was trying to win the "1,000,000th resident of Wake county" award, she'd better hurry!

Old 08-21-2014, 12:00 PM

556 posts, read 946,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I do hope the OP has a Realtor helping them. Good schools abound throughout the areas that have homes the size they seek (ie, the bedroom count). Not one of them can come close to guaranteeing Ivy admittance, nevermind UNC-CH admittance.
To be fair regarding Ivy admissions from Wake County (and NC overall), it isn't so much that the schools don't prepare kids sufficiently for admission to an Ivy, rather that Ivy League admission just isn't a huge part of the culture in most parts of NC. My high school class (Millbrook, 2000) sent kids to Duke, MIT, Stanford and University of Chicago. We also had 30 kids that went to UNC-CH (including me) and another 30 that went the NCSU. Many of us could have gone to Ivy League schools, they just weren't on our radars.

When I think of public schools in the Triangle that routinely send kids to Ivy League schools, I think of Enloe, Chapel Hill High, and East Chapel Hill. The NC School of Science and Math will also get good students into good colleges, but NCSSM admissions are very selective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary