Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 12:22 PM

246 posts, read 626,909 times

Advertisements

While I agree with everyone else, Durham is a fine place to live. I worked at Duke for 5 years and lived in DT Raleigh. Used the free bus pass from Duke and was able to take the DRX to work everyday. Not bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 12:27 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,426,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
If you have a grown son now and haven't been here recently Durham has changed so very much in the last 25 years, you wouldn't believe it.

Don't know how long it's been since you've been here, but the best mall in the Triangle is in Durham, The Streets at Southpoint. Durham arguably has more of a "city life" feel than Raleigh/Cary which can be very suburban in places. Fabulous restaurant scene in Durham, again some of the best in the area, and really in the country. Look up the NY Times reviews. Grocery stores are pretty much the same everywhere. Durham has Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Whole Foods, Aldi's, and more.
Spot on, poppy. By OP's definition of "city life," the area near Streets of Southpoint sounds like an ideal match. Heck, even where I am off of Mineral Springs, I'm perhaps 15 minutes from Streets of Southpoint, 10-15 minutes from downtown Durham and all the great restaurants it has to offer, 10 minutes from Brier Creek and the shopping and restaurants out there, and about a 20 minute drive from Duke. This ain't your grandmother's Durham anymore.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:27 PM

826 posts, read 1,931,884 times
If I was 24 years old, worked at Duke, no kids, liked "city life", I would definitely look at living in Durham. If he gets the job, he should visit the area first with an open mind. Most of the area, as noted above, is suburban (mall, chain restaurants, grocery). City-feel and walkable stuff? Downtown Durham or ITB Raleigh (but I wouldn't do the commute with Durham as an option).

Old 08-26-2014, 05:13 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,351,955 times
If Durham is completely off the table (and I agree with others it would be a my first choice for him), then Chapel Hill or Carrboro may be the next best choice. It has a completely different vibe, of course, but it is a nice place to live. I just don't think a 24 newlywed will find the suburbs all that interesting.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:47 PM

288 posts, read 360,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrusty View Post
Thanks for all the replies. They will be renting for the first year with a budget around $1100 monthly. Although Durham has nice areas (I went to high school there) it doesn't seem to be ideal for their taste. He and his wife are use too and love city life. By that I mean they are use to being able to be at a mall, grocery store, restaurant all within a couple of min. I don't think a 30-45min drive would bother him because that's what he drives every day now.
Ahhh . . . the city life. You can be at the mall in just a couple of minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary