Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 11:25 AM

1,067 posts, read 623,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Coffee View Post
Rosati's Pizza is a great cure for that!

I still miss the Lou Malnati's, Portillo's, Gino's, Hackney's, etc............or even a quick dash North of the state line for a quick meal at the Brat Stop. The food at these places were well worth the 45 minute to 1 hr drive in heavy traffic on pothole filled roads just to get a bite!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 01:49 PM

6 posts, read 6,504 times
We'll have to experiment making these foods at home!

Old 08-16-2014, 02:51 PM

269 posts, read 321,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
I still miss the Lou Malnati's, Portillo's, Gino's, Hackney's, etc............or even a quick dash North of the state line for a quick meal at the Brat Stop. The food at these places were well worth the 45 minute to 1 hr drive in heavy traffic on pothole filled roads just to get a bite!
Sorry for hijacking a thread....but....if you need a brat fix, the meat shop at the State Farmers Market sells some incredible brats out of their freezer! If you need one prepared, GrillWorks sells some pretty good ones out of their food trucks at Lowes stores.

A decent Chicago dog shop would clean up here with a good old $1.99 basket with fries.

Now, back to the original question, much of the area reminds me of Lake Forest or Barrington. Perhaps the exception is Cary - it brings back memories of Schaumburg.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:51 PM

11 posts, read 24,528 times
We recently made the move from Chicago to Raleigh. We were in the South Loop and nothing in this area is like the downtown areas of Chicago (obviously, and we weren't expecting it). We are in North Raleigh in Brier Creek, and love the area. I don't know if its like anything in Chicago, even the further out neighborhoods like Rogers Park. Most of the area is pure suburbia and I dont know the chicago suburbs well enough to compare them.

The Durham = Hyde Park comparison is a good one. The great thing about Brier Creek is its < 15 mins to Durham but also close to Raleigh and RTP.

Agree on the restaurants, but then again any place in the US has a hard time competing with Chicago on that front. I have been really thrilled about the abundance of amazing farmers markets here. Its a Saturday morning tradition for our family to head out to Durham, Carrborro, Western Wake, North Hills, or Raleigh farmers market. They're all very kid-friendly and a great time out to have fun, eat well and get much of the week's food shopping done.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions as you go through the process. Welcome!

Old 08-16-2014, 06:06 PM

360 posts, read 516,443 times
I lived in Aurora (by 59, so east Aurora) for 2 years, downtown Naperville for 3 years and downtown Wheaton for 2 years...

I _SO_ miss the food. We just went to a wedding in the area a week ago and I hit up Portillos within 2 hours of landing in the Chicago area.

I would compare Cary to Naperville, maybe, but Wheaton or Schaumberg might be closer. I guess I can see the Barrington comparison. Naperville is pretty packed... you drive north south and barely move. I don't think Cary is as densely populated and doesn't seem to have even close to the same level of traffic. It will really blow your mind.

I've only lived in the area about 3 months, but I haven't found anything like the neighborhoods in Chicago. I didn't live in them but I loved to visit a different one every weekend and just walk around and explore.

Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary