Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 02:41 PM

25 posts, read 42,031 times

Advertisements

Here is my pitch for a new sports team. If San Antonio is successful at enticing the Raiders to relocate then there is no reason that the Triangle can't get either a pro football or basketball team, and I think we desperately need one.

Since moving here, I've realized this area has very little identity. Everyone is from somewhere else and everything is so fragmented. Everyone flies the flags of their former hometown teams. You either like Duke, NC State or UNC. There needs to be some cohesion. Some unity between us Trianglers. Nothing does that better than pro sports. A pro baseball or pro football team would really bring together the entire triangle.. Durham, CH, Raleigh, Cary, Wake Forest, etc.

With a population of 2 million combined, why not? Other small markets are doing just fine with pro teams. This area loves sports, has a ton of people with money to buy season tickets, is full of kids... why not?

Instead of bickering over Cary vs. Raleigh or whose ACC team is best or inside the beltline or not, why not bring something to the community that we can all rally around? I know we have the Hurricanes but NHL is a fringe sport at best. I've seen more Steelers jerseys here than Panthers jerseys... same for the Hornets. This area doesn't even rally around it's in-state sport teams. I think triangle folks want something that is here in the triangle. A pro baseball or football team would really bring some cohesion to this awesome area I now call home!

So everyone bug the snot out of your local politicians and let's make it happen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 02:58 PM

613 posts, read 745,989 times
NO. The Carolina Hurricanes are yet to earn a penny. Taxpayer subsidized and still in the red. Charlotte is too close to consider a Football or NBA team. As for baseball too many teams already.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:05 PM

190 posts, read 275,928 times
I disagree.

We have our sports teams. If you want to root for them after moving here, become a Panthers fan. Same with the Hornets. Steelers fans who live here aren't going to magically start rooting for a Triangle team.

You also need to look at context and history. The Charlotte Hornets led the league in attendance for years and had a rabid following in their hey-day. The owner, George Shinn, basically did everything he could to make people hate him before up & moving the team. I think it left a bad taste in everyone's mouth and it soured a lot of folks off of the Bobcats and professional basketball/sports in general.

Hopefully now that the team name is rightfully back in Charlotte & Jordan is the public face of it, people will start being passionate again and we might have a decent basketball team.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:05 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
No other major league sports franchise will enter this market, and for good reason.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:58 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,516,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
No other major league sports franchise will enter this market, and for good reason.
Why not?

Old 08-14-2014, 07:15 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
I don't see this happening, sorry. The Triangle is a heavily collegiate area.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:23 PM

556 posts, read 945,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Why not?
No room for an NBA team in a market dominated by three big name college teams, plus an established NBA team a few hours away. Once you factor in the other popular college teams in the state, there is no space for another team.

No room for an NFL team for the same reasons.

No room for a MLB team in a market with one of the best, most storied, and most popular minor league teams in the country. If MLB expanded to the Triangle, the Bulls would have to move. There is no way a team would survive if the Triangle community saw them as the reason the Bulls went away.

NHL was reasonably successful because they didn't have to compete with established college programs. Still, the NHL isn't going to bring team to Charlotte for the same reasons the other professional leagues are not setting up in the Triangle.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:40 PM

25 posts, read 42,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
No room for an NBA team in a market dominated by three big name college teams, plus an established NBA team a few hours away. Once you factor in the other popular college teams in the state, there is no space for another team.

No room for an NFL team for the same reasons.

No room for a MLB team in a market with one of the best, most storied, and most popular minor league teams in the country. If MLB expanded to the Triangle, the Bulls would have to move. There is no way a team would survive if the Triangle community saw them as the reason the Bulls went away.

NHL was reasonably successful because they didn't have to compete with established college programs. Still, the NHL isn't going to bring team to Charlotte for the same reasons the other professional leagues are not setting up in the Triangle.
Then let's get rid of the bulls. If you know anything about baseball you know that no minor league player cares about winning. They just want to get to the show. How can you be a fan of a team that doesn't care if it wins or not? And don't get me wrong, the games are fun. The movie sucks but I appreciate the nostalgia.

And to drive home my point further, I've never seen more minor league baseball apparel worn in a city than in the triangle. I see Bulls stuff everywhere. Just goes to show that sports fans in the triangle want to cheer for a team here in the triangle. I've seen more Bulls shirts than Hornet and Bobcats and Panthers shirts combined.

The transplants here would love a local pro sports team to get behind, other than hockey. I guarantee it. Heck the minor league soccer team in cary has a lot of fans. We could support it. This fractured community of people from somewhere else and "pick one of three ACC schools", doesn't help bring the community together. The Colts thrive in Indy. The Spurs thrive in San Antonio. The brewers do well in Milwaukee. If the fractured triangle would come together and get behind a mainstream pro sport it would not only draw fans and money and other support, but it would bring 3 large communities together.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:47 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerun4 View Post
Then let's get rid of the bulls. If you know anything about baseball you know that no minor league player cares about winning. They just want to get to the show. How can you be a fan of a team that doesn't care if it wins or not? And don't get me wrong, the games are fun. The movie sucks but I appreciate the nostalgia.

Just wow. Good luck with that buddy. Why don't you try to get behind the local teams instead of trying to oust an institution that's been around for decades.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:57 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerun4 View Post

And to drive home my point further, I've never seen more minor league baseball apparel worn in a city than in the triangle. I see Bulls stuff everywhere. Just goes to show that sports fans in the triangle want to cheer for a team here in the triangle. I've seen more Bulls shirts than Hornet and Bobcats and Panthers shirts combined.

The transplants here would love a local pro sports team to get behind, other than hockey. I guarantee it. Heck the minor league soccer team in cary has a lot of fans. We could support it. This fractured community of people from somewhere else and "pick one of three ACC schools", doesn't help bring the community together. The Colts thrive in Indy. The Spurs thrive in San Antonio. The brewers do well in Milwaukee. If the fractured triangle would come together and get behind a mainstream pro sport it would not only draw fans and money and other support, but it would bring 3 large communities together.
Wow...just go back to where you are from rather than change this area because it isn't what you want in profesional sports. We are in the middle of scouting a move to Madison WI......and ive seen plenty of Madison Mallards gear on people.....so you really are sort of clueless there.....and yeah...Go Bulls!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary