Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 11:02 AM

30 posts, read 44,979 times

Advertisements

REdzin-

What development are you in? You always say you almost bought here and there, but where did you buy? Curious that's all..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 11:17 AM

34,935 posts, read 36,068,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOING2RNC View Post
REdzin-

What development are you in? You always say you almost bought here and there, but where did you buy? Curious that's all..
I never post it here. The internet is a weird place, and moderating on City-Data can be trying at times (not so much the locals, but I mod other areas).

If my neighborhood was very large, I would post it, of course. My neighborhood is a somewhat small, custom neighborhood that's near Weston Parkway, just to give you a point of general reference.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:24 AM

I can respect that. I was just wondering if I missed something

Thanks!

Old 08-27-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I can respect that. I was just wondering if I missed something

Thanks!

Thanks. I just know what areas I WOULD have bought in, if the right house had come on the market. And which ones I would've avoided.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:38 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,799,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t00fan View Post
I am not sure I understand. It's a location in holly springs with new construction, has large (0.4) wooded lots and can be between 400-500k.

Am I missing something about the quality of the houses at Brook Manor?
You can choose to interpret the following as negative. I believe it is nothing but accurate.

K. Hovnanian is a low to mid level tract builder. Comparable homes would be built by companies like KB Home, although KB usually keeps their home sizes smaller than those in Brook Manor. Their homes offer good square footage for the price due to simple floorplans and an average level of finish and details. The homes are unremarkable. Their neighborhoods are usually not amenity-rich or in premier locations. Their neighborhoods also tend to have a pretty middling level of pride in ownership and upkeep on the part of homeowners.

K. Hovnanian's product does not compare to the type of homes the OP has seen in other locations. Brook Manor's location, while not a bad one, is not as close in as neighborhoods the OP has seen and liked.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:27 PM

3 posts, read 4,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
You can choose to interpret the following as negative. I believe it is nothing but accurate.

K. Hovnanian is a low to mid level tract builder. Comparable homes would be built by companies like KB Home, although KB usually keeps their home sizes smaller than those in Brook Manor. Their homes offer good square footage for the price due to simple floorplans and an average level of finish and details. The homes are unremarkable. Their neighborhoods are usually not amenity-rich or in premier locations. Their neighborhoods also tend to have a pretty middling level of pride in ownership and upkeep on the part of homeowners.

K. Hovnanian's product does not compare to the type of homes the OP has seen in other locations. Brook Manor's location, while not a bad one, is not as close in as neighborhoods the OP has seen and liked.
Sure. Nothing negative taken from it. We all have different tastes. Wouldn't hurt to check it out.

Thanks,

Old 08-27-2014, 04:04 PM

Can someone tell me what the "better" of the tract builders? I have seen Royal Oaks, David Weekly, Ryan and Robuck so far. Who else is there and how do YOU think they rank?

Old 08-27-2014, 04:21 PM

I'm not a huge fan of ANY of them when you're spending 500k around here on a house. In fact, once you get to 400k or over, I'm not particularly a fan. If you asked me the same thing in a state with higher housing costs, I'd likely adjust that number upward.

That said, tract homes aren't necessarily less "solid" than custom. It's not like they're going to be so lousy they'll cave in on your head. Well... there was that huge lawsuit against Pulte years ago, but generally, tract homes are perfectly good homes for the money.

It's more about details, finish level, customization, how well the neighborhood "wears" over time, etc.

My favorite tract builders around here are Lennar, MI, Roebuck, and David Weekley. Not in any particular order. Depends on the neighborhood.

I really don't like Pulte, K Hovnanian, DR Horton, etc.

Oh.... and I hate Toll Brothers "higher-end" executive homes, but they do build solid homes and I absolutely think they have built some decent midrange stuff out in Brier Creek, for example.

Also am not a fan of John Wieland, but I know some people think their stuff is great. I find their plans dull and their cabinetry feels very cheap.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:36 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,799,606 times
Quote:
Can someone tell me what the "better" of the tract builders? I have seen Royal Oaks, David Weekly, Ryan and Robuck so far. Who else is there and how do YOU think they rank?
The only one of those four that I would seriously consider is Robuck. They are local and have been around a long time. They build a nice product in their price ranges.
There are tons of tract builders. Many of them cleverly disguise themselves and do their best to give the impression of being smaller and more local than they are. Go pick up the "New Home Guide" and they are all in there.
I am with RedZin-above the $400K mark I am looking to avoid tract builders and am willing to give up square footage to do it.
If I had bought a home built by a local custom builder when we moved here in 2003 I would likely still be living in it. Instead we got seduced by square footage and the big two story family room and bought a tract home. It wasn't a piece of junk, but it just wasn't put together the same way the local guys do it. Over the couple of years that followed I began visiting a bunch of Parade Homes every Fall and it became apparent that the local guys were simply building a better product. Yes, it cost more, but anywhere above the mid 300s back then there were options for buyers built by local companies that were more carefully constructed and built from better raw materials than the tract homes for the same money. They were smaller, but not small. The drywall and trim work was clearly better. Rooms were square and corners were even. The finishes in the homes and on the elevations were of better quality. The raw lumber in the framing was better grade wood. The paint jobs lasted longer.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:26 PM

66 posts, read 81,981 times
You can check out harmony on Hwy55 in cary 4-6 yr olds with all amenities. In your price range and lot sizes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary