Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 11:32 PM

683 posts, read 1,884,541 times

Advertisements

Does this mean I have to stop on the opposite side (facing the bus) on a two lane road (one lane each side) with a median in the middle. I always thought I didn't have to because of the median, but the picture seems to imply that is only the case if the road is four lanes or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 02:25 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemi808 View Post
Does this mean I have to stop on the opposite side (facing the bus) on a two lane road (one lane each side) with a median in the middle. I always thought I didn't have to because of the median, but the picture seems to imply that is only the case if the road is four lanes or more.
Pretty sure that a median means no stopping is required..

Old 08-20-2014, 04:23 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Quote:
Hah, it does seem like if they are going to show that many iterations, they could have put that one in there too or at least mentioned it in the other median example.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:26 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,560,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Buses stop in the right lane on NC 55. I have seen them.

Honestly I prefer NYs laws for buses. If a bus is stopped and you are behind or facing the. You stop. No matter what kind of road you are on you stop. Eliminates a lot of confusion.
From what I've read, NY is kind of an oddball with that law as most states have similar laws to NC or even more lax. Why would you have to stop on a divided highway in the opposite direction, that is madness. on a highway with a center turning lane I could at least see, of course most people around here stop in that situation anyway and it can be dangerous for the divers coming up behind them and not expecting to stop.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:35 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
It looks to me that ONLY IF the road is 4 lanes does the "median effect" come into play.

Clearly, if there are only 2 or even 3 lanes (center is for turning) then ALL lanes must stop NO MATTER WHAT.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:35 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Better to read the statute than rely on a picture:

Quote:
Notwithstanding subsection (a) of this section, the driver of a vehicle traveling in the opposite direction from the school bus, upon any road, highway or city street that has been divided into two roadways, so constructed as to separate vehicular traffic between the two roadways by an intervening space (including a center lane for left turns if the roadway consists of at least four more lanes) or by a physical barrier, need not stop upon meeting and passing any school bus that has stopped in the roadway across the dividing space or physical barrier.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
It looks to me that ONLY IF the road is 4 lanes does the "median effect" come into play.

Clearly, if there are only 2 or even 3 lanes (center is for turning) then ALL lanes must stop NO MATTER WHAT.
Yes that is correct, because kids can still cross the roads to get on the bus in a situation like this. If there are four lanes with a median lane, then the bus must stop on that side of the road to pick up the kids. Or else you'd have a Frog-er situation going on. It wouldn't let me type the word Frog---er? Ok...lol

Old 08-20-2014, 08:04 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Yes that is correct,
No, it's not. Read the statute again. Four lanes is relevant only if there is a center turn lane as opposed to a physical median. If there is a physical median, it doesn't matter how many lanes there are.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
No, it's not. Read the statute again. Four lanes is relevant only if there is a center turn lane as opposed to a physical median. If there is a physical median, it doesn't matter how many lanes there are.
Huh, that's what I was telling her! She was asking about the center being a turn lane, not a physical barrier (unless I missed something). I know the laws, I was a police officer for many years.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:56 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,985,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Huh, that's what I was telling her! She was asking about the center being a turn lane, not a physical barrier (unless I missed something). I know the laws, I was a police officer for many years.
She was asking about a median, and the rare times there would be a two lane road with a median. I can't really think of any except maybe in office parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary