Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 07:34 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
A few points:

1) Traffic - in some places the growth is very noticeable, but in others better road infrastructure has made things smoother. I remember rush hour being absolutely terrible 20 years ago. I-40 was not designed wide enough from the get go and was undergoing constant construction. Working in RTP, there were very few alternate routes, and those that there were were small two lane roads that couldn't handle the traffic. Nowadays, unless there is a bad accident, you can get from RTP to Raleigh without too much trouble even at peak times.

2) Downtown - 20 years ago there were a few things downtown or nearby - 42nd Street, Greenshields, etc. - but for the most part it wasn't a place many people went. Now it is bustling and vibrant. Music festivals, art festivals, bars, clubs, restaurants, jobs.

3) Restaurants - Speaking of which....20 years ago there were very few good non-chain restaurants in the area. Now the area has a real restaurant scene.

4) Greenway - there were a few nice stretches 20 years ago, but now it is all connected and much nicer.

5) People - 20 years ago, because of RTP, Raleigh had a lot more people that were not born in NC than other parts of the state. That is even more noticeable now, although the rest of the state has seen things change a lot, too.

6) Jobs - my impression 20 years ago was that if you met some random person, the chance they worked at one of about 4 companies was very high. Now things are much more diverse. We could have a major employer go away (such as Nortel) and not have the area be just devastated.

7) Arts/Music - there is always something going on these days. There are weeknights where, counting Carrboro and Durham, there might 3 or 4 great (music) shows going on. Way more galleries. Artsplosure has been joined by other festivals like SPARKcon.

Raleigh has definitely grown up, but it retains enough of the flavor from 20 years ago that I think you'll recognize it.
This post pretty much nails it.

For the most part, I love living in the area. I could (and would) live just about anywhere, but I can't think of a place I'd "rather" be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 10:31 AM

26 posts, read 48,810 times
Thanks for all of the thoughts and feedback! We are actually going to visit the area this weekend. Looking forward to checking out some of the areas I haven't seen in a while.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:59 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
I've lived in the area for 19 years. Didn't hear people beeping at each other then and still don't hear it now. The changes that I've seen are all good. Better everything, but my view is one where growth is welcome.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:12 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
I've lived in the area for 19 years. Didn't hear people beeping at each other then and still don't hear it now. The changes that I've seen are all good. Better everything, but my view is one where growth is welcome.

I drive all over the triangle for my work, too many miles for my liking But where I see what I described is on 540 mostly. It's pretty busy from north Raleigh to hwy 70. Folks get a little crazy

Old 08-25-2014, 12:14 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Sounds like NJ.
Yep, I have certainly heard that said here. But most say still not as jammed up as the major NJ roads.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:36 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I drive all over the triangle for my work, too many miles for my liking But where I see what I described is on 540 mostly. It's pretty busy from north Raleigh to hwy 70. Folks get a little crazy
That's the beauty of this area...I live about 8 miles from work and have my choice of Hwy 55 or Davis drive. With lights and traffic I'm still only looking at a 15 minute commute. No horn honking on these roads
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary