Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2014, 02:51 PM

6 posts, read 12,628 times

Advertisements

We've been talking about relocating and have been looking at smaller areas south of Raleigh. Dunn, Garner, and other smaller areas. My question is what kind of bugs and pests are common in this part of the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 04:15 PM

5,870 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhorra View Post
My question is what kind of bugs and pests are common in this part of the country?
My favorite are the camel crickets. Not only do they look scary, they will leap at you!
Camel Crickets - ENT/rsc-13

Actually, they are harmless, but it can be an experience the first time you come across them.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:13 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
the country as in the Southeast, or the country as in Dunn, Harnett County, etc?

if you are scared of insects then this is not the place for you. Snakes either. Search the forum - there's a great search tool - for "snakes" and for "bugs" or "insects"

Old 08-23-2014, 05:40 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Ants are all we really see but Dodson Brother Exterminators solves it with bait trays.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:45 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Just spent the day in Dunn avoiding the gnats, fire ants, horseflies, yellow flies, etc. Not to mention the "palmetto bugs" (aka giant wood roaches), ticks, and mosquitos.

You couldn't pay me to live in SE NC again. Personally, and I mean, for me and my family, we would not live east of Raleigh unless it was at the beach. Been there, done that, don't need to do it again. I do have plenty of relatives who like it, but it is just not for me. And Dunn is a seriously depressing town.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:08 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Well, naturally mosquitoes are naturally the most annoying and abundant followed by ticks and depending on the time of year and weather conditions that year, deer flies as well.

If you're an avid gardener, aphids, ants, caterpillars, nematodes, and countless specialized pests are a constant nemesis. Termites and wood boring ants are also prevalent in structures.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:46 AM

Just want to emphasize that the Dunn experience was much much worse than August in the Triangle for my kids. Our event was outside for much of the day and one of mine kept begging to go inside to escape the very annoying gnats that buzz around your face and try to get in your eyes. It was really hot and muggy yesterday. I grew up near there in Fayetteville so it was nothing unexpected for me, but it really is a good bit different than the Triangle. The town of Dunn has many boarded up businesses and industrial sites with the roofs collapsing. I did see where they're building a Rooms To Go Distribution Center just north of Dunn on I-95, but I'd live in Clayton if I had a job there.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:27 AM

615 posts, read 1,502,889 times
We are in Johnston county and our biggest issues are kudzu bugs in swarms certain times of year(aka stink bugs).....fire ants, and dozens of millipedes in our in ground pool every morning.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:43 AM

Kudzu bugs and regular stink bugs are different. Kudzu bugs are a type of stink bug, but are tiny, about the size of a ladybug or a pencil eraser, and instead of being oval have sort of a straight edge along the back. They are a new invasive species. Stink bugs are big, from dime sized up to quarter sized and there are both native and non-native species.

Kudzu bug:

Stink bug:

There are native stink bugs (Stink Bugs) and non-native asian imports (N.C. scientists try halting stink bugs | Science/Technology | NewsObserver.com).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary