Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 05:25 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,573,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
We have a regular poster here who is from NYC/Long Island - he says when people visit from NY, he tells them about this awesome place that makes fabulous NYstyle bagels. Then he goes to Bruegger's, puts the bagels in a plain brown bag and brings them home, where they are greeted with rave reviews from the NYers.
Really ?

Maybe I need to give Bruegger's another try. Beats driving to Winston Salem or Wilmington!

I like Jersey Mike's too (never had a cheesesteak there) but it's definitely nostalgia for me - used to go to what I think was the original at the Jersey shore in the 80s. Ah, summer of 1985
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 05:33 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,278,781 times
NorasMom have you tried Bagels on the Hill in Chapel Hill?

Old 12-30-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
NorasMom have you tried Bagels on the Hill in Chapel Hill?
I have not! That sounds familiar - maybe mentioned here before - I'll have to check it out this weekend. Thanks!

Edited - they seem to now be called The Bagel Bar, and they sell bialys too - I am going there tomorrow.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:50 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,278,781 times
I knew they changed hands, but didn't know they changed names. My kids prefer Trader Joe's bagels (they're softer), but I have heard good reviews from those in the know about the bagel joint. I have eaten there a few times and liked it fine.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:13 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,983,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
My kids prefer Trader Joe's bagels (they're softer)
A good whuppin'll cure that.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:21 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,760,760 times
Let us know how that bagel place is.

Again, same deal, you can put Brueggers in a bag and say it's some special bagel, but anyone who knows bagels will take one bite into that soft, chewy, flavorless bark and immediately look up and say "what is this grocery store garbage?"

Old 12-31-2014, 05:39 AM

11,208 posts, read 8,268,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post

Again, same deal, you can put Brueggers in a bag and say it's some special bagel, but anyone who knows bagels will take one bite into that soft, chewy, flavorless bark and immediately look up and say "what is this grocery store garbage?"
I'm a Brueggers fan, and have been to NYC also. My take is that NYC (Manhattan in my case) are softer than Brueggers. I just always figured Brueggers was not quite authentic, but matched my taste. My dad is from Brooklyn, then grew up on Lon Guylan and he love's Brueggers, and he is not flexible with bagels or pizza (at all)

Old 12-31-2014, 05:55 AM

9,767 posts, read 15,744,432 times
The Bagel Bar bagels are good. I've had them several times. MUCH better than Trader Joe's bagels. (Hint: never ask for bagel recommendations from a southerner. Just messing with you, Poppydog.)

Old 12-31-2014, 06:09 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,900,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post

I guess you never dipped a hot Brueggers cinnamon raisin bagel in a big jar of Skippy's?

Brueggers is the Jersey Mike's of bagels.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I guess you never dipped a hot Brueggers cinnamon raisin bagel in a big jar of Skippy's?

Brueggers is the Jersey Mike's of bagels.
That sounds gross yet intriguing all at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary