Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 07:56 PM

114 posts, read 326,977 times

Advertisements

All of the empty lots around Searstone, lack of trees and landscaping and little variety in types of businesses definitely different than what was promised when designs were being presented. The residences can not be that happy with a few fast food restaurants to choose from, a paint store, and an auto shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 08:03 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techshuffle View Post
All of the empty lots around Searstone, lack of trees and landscaping and little variety in types of businesses definitely different than what was promised when designs were being presented. The residences can not be that happy with a few fast food restaurants to choose from, a paint store, and an auto shop.
The Sherwin Williams store is the bright spot over there for me. They are great in there. I agree with other posters regarding the overall look of Searstone - too much stone not enough green. Too much beige, I know we are in Cary but come on!

Old 08-26-2014, 06:03 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
The Sherwin Williams store is the bright spot over there for me. They are great in there. I agree with other posters regarding the overall look of Searstone - too much stone not enough green. Too much beige, I know we are in Cary but come on!
It's a shame too since the original property was beautiful. There was a nice old farmhouse on a hill right at the corner of HH and Davis. It had pastures for grazing behind it. It was really a scenic landscape. I would have hoped that they kept the few trees that the farm allowed to grow.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:22 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,762,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Those dining at Bojangles have an incredible boring view of the back of one of SearsStone's major large buildings. I cannot believe the design and lack of colors (beige stucco?) got past Cary Planning & Zoning, etc. Reminds me of my Army Barracks, after getting drafted.

Kudos to Cary for putting in an audible crossing signal nearby as well, for the visially impaired walking from SearStone across Davis Dr. to the shopping center to the pub or to get frozen custard.
I also dislike that section. I am pretty sure the long term plan is to have another building on that side across from the Bojangles, Sherwin Williams, etc and that façade will not really be seen. Does look lame for now.

I think as time goes on, they will hopefully continue building it out. I know that some on the Cary Town Council have also expressed their disappointment from what they thought they were approving.

Keep in mind that AFAIK, Searstone is being developed by the family that owns the property, not a company that does this every day, so they do not have a large backer to help push things along.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:07 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,543,382 times
Yep, while awaiting approvals, and the economy tanking, they sold the parcels nearest the main roads to keep some SearsStone cash coming in, I suspect.

Then, that new land owner brought in the businesses we now see. Still surprised a gym has not taken over the empty Lowe's across the street.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:23 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I also dislike that section. I am pretty sure the long term plan is to have another building on that side across from the Bojangles, Sherwin Williams, etc and that façade will not really be seen. Does look lame for now.

I think as time goes on, they will hopefully continue building it out. I know that some on the Cary Town Council have also expressed their disappointment from what they thought they were approving.

Keep in mind that AFAIK, Searstone is being developed by the family that owns the property, not a company that does this every day, so they do not have a large backer to help push things along.
One reason I am surprised they did not maintain more green space is because the property is being developed by the family who has owned the land for years. I got the impression they wanted to preserve some of what they grew up on as well as get this project completed.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:00 AM

273 posts, read 911,869 times
I too was disappointed in the facade of the building facing BoJangles. Once inside I was shocked. The layout of the building is such that the halls face Bo's so that the apartments all have multiple windows, porches, and plazas all facing the lake.

I visited and toured Searstone and been inside many of its homes (looking at it for my parents). The insides of all the buildings are spectacular; the ground floor units have walk out porches to a lakeside plaza. The upper units have screened in porches facing the lake. Others all have a lake side view. Some have fireplaces. Everything has elevators. There are several restaurants in the clubhouse. The earlier poster said how nice the medical facility was. The homes facing Davis and back ring of homes are large, private and very nice. Many are 2200+ sq ; further around the drive they are even larger. The empty lot near PDQ is going to be a guest hotel. It's very nicely done. And all handicapped accessible inside and out.

Both Searstone and Bradford do not have any trees yet and both are unfinished.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:29 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,762,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4alark View Post
I too was disappointed in the facade of the building facing BoJangles. Once inside I was shocked. The layout of the building is such that the halls face Bo's so that the apartments all have multiple windows, porches, and plazas all facing the lake.

It makes sense if across that lot toward Bojanges is another long building. That way the residents are not stuck looking at the back of a commercial or mixed use building.

I looked at Cary's site plans and much of the stuff submitted in 2008 is pretty out of date compared to the parking lot they actually built down there, but they apparently still have a medical office building planned there as they referenced it in a 2013 document also. Searstone Medical Office Building - 13-SP-003 It does not look like it will cover the entire back of the building though so that sucks. Maybe they figure eventually they will just build a second phase there or something.

I d not know the Sears' at all, but I have found that often smaller developers will sometimes think if things are going OK right now, then no need to make things nicer than they "have" to be (hey, I'm leasing up good now, why spend money?) but over the long term, things have a way of biting you in the rear sometimes.

ETA: OK, it is phased somewhat. There is a rendering that shows the building with a couple of smaller retail buildings that will mostly block the ugly side here: http://sitesubplans.townofcary.org/S...rings_A-17.pdf Seems that it will essentially cover the existing lot there and make it a garage of sorts but at first, it will just be the MOB, which seems like a decent location given the use of the rest of the site and the surrounding area having plenty of people and a decent amount of medical office nearby already.

I snipped one of the renderings if people don't want to look at the whole thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Searstone in Cary, Wondering what happened?-searstonecapture.jpg  

Old 08-26-2014, 03:04 PM

171 posts, read 318,985 times
There's a structure going up now next the auto service/tire store and two lots over from PDQ (High House side)...I noticed it on my drive by there this morning. Could be that Freddy's burger place I read about last week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary