Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 10:53 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,552 times

Advertisements

I was having this discussion with someone years back about how pests are controlled by the city govt. They told me clouds are sprayed with pesticides by flying a plane above them before it rains so when it rains the water clears up any mosquitoes, bugs, pests outdoors. Thats why sometimes you can smell chemicals after it rains. I am not sure where this person got his information from but I never heard or read anything about that (except the conspiracy theories about 'chemtrails'). I was wondering what our city does or should do to control mosquitoes. I cant stay outside even for a few minutes after dark because they are eating me alive
Tried citronella plants, candles but hasn't helped so far. Didn't have this problem in virginia even though they had same amount of greenery, lakes. Mosquitoes love this place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 11:07 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
I was having this discussion with someone years back about how pests are controlled by the city govt. They told me clouds are sprayed with pesticides by flying a plane above them before it rains so when it rains the water clears up any mosquitoes, bugs, pests outdoors. Thats why sometimes you can smell chemicals after it rains. I am not sure where this person got his information from but I never heard or read anything about that (except the conspiracy theories about 'chemtrails'). I was wondering what our city does or should do to control mosquitoes. I cant stay outside even for a few minutes after dark because they are eating me alive
First, the Triangle is not a "city"., Which "city govt" are you talking about?

I grew up here and, while we used to have those "fog trucks" that drove through neighborhoods spraying DDT behind them, that hasn't happened since the 70s.

How far back do you mean by "some years back"? "Some years back", they didn't have the Internet, either....

I've certainly never heard anything like spraying clouds, but if you heard from a "city govt", then it seems pretty obvious to me that your question should best be directed to calling said city government and asking them directly what they do, rather than relying on anecdotal stories that could be (very) out of date.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:11 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times
Posted about this a few days ago - I spray Permethrin in my yard - all surfaces, all trees, plants, etc. And about 6 feet up on the perimeter of the house. Controls everything but ants and lasts for several weeks. I then treat ants separately if necessary.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:17 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
So, the idea is to control pests that breed in standing water by causing water to rain out of clouds onto the ground?

Some places do spray some chemicals from trucks to control mosquitos (I know they do this at Disney) but as far as I know none of the municipalities around here do it. You can treat the yard like RDU Biker, either yourself or companies can install automatic systems or build a screen porch like we just did.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:19 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
When the first cases of West Nile Virus appeared some towns in NY did react with aerial spraying via helicopter. I cannot say if they did it here. It has been several years since I have heard about it being done.

As far as how bad the mosquitos are, I do not find them any worse here then I did where I moved from. But if it humid and buggy, I go inside.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:30 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
First, the Triangle is not a "city"., Which "city govt" are you talking about?
How far back do you mean by "some years back"?
Durham-chapel hill-raleigh. Figured they would have similar policies.

I heard it around 2007 from someone who was a resident of raleigh all his life.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:33 PM

637 posts, read 1,057,505 times
I figure I'm better off letting the bugs bite me than spraying carcinogens everywhere, I hope the government isn't doing this for me as a service.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:46 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Durham-chapel hill-raleigh. Figured they would have similar policies.

I heard it around 2007 from someone who was a resident of raleigh all his life.
No...those cities are even in different counties....no reason why they'd do things the same.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:01 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Yeah, completely different cities with completely different governments. They would not have the same pest policies at all any more than they'd have the same mayors or same police departments or same school systems.

As far as I know there are no mosquito trucks in Chapel Hill, but I don't know for sure on that. I haven't seen any.

The flying over clouds before it rains thing sounds ridiculous, but sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. Call the city you live in and ask them.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:04 PM

190 posts, read 275,928 times
There are a number of companies here that will spray your yard for a small fee. They are extremely effective and relatively (- who knows now days) safe. My mother has had it done in her yard for a few years now and I've never been bit since while visiting. They come around to re-spray every so often and will come free of charge if you happen to be bit.

The 'cloud spraying' idea sounds half-baked and I've never seen any city trucks here. New Orleans has them. Mosquitoes are the state bird of Louisiana though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary