Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 12:00 PM

376 posts, read 1,062,340 times

Advertisements

I have AT&T and just want to know. The service sucks where I am right now in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2007, 12:24 PM

850 posts, read 3,625,646 times
I think it depends where in the Triangle you end up. We moved here from NJ with Verizon thinking we were covered and couldn't get a signal in our apt in Cary or anywhere near our home in Clayton. But I know others who get a signal (though our next door neighbors also had no luck with verizon).

So it depends.....it also depends on the specific phone. The research I've done showed that sometimes its all about the phone and not just the service.

Not much help, I know but there it is.
Lauren
PS....new phones with AT&T are making me very happy after 1 1/2 years with little to no wireless service.

Last edited by lauren4521; 12-25-2007 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: added ps

Old 12-25-2007, 12:25 PM

965 posts, read 4,500,024 times
There was a recent thread about cell phone service, which has now rolled off the first page: This may help you get started with your info search.

cell phones

Good luck!

Old 12-25-2007, 12:45 PM

445 posts, read 1,859,195 times
I have AT&T and have had it or it's predecessors (Cingular, Bell South) for years. I think service is pretty good. I rarely have a dropped call and coverage, at least in N. Raleigh, Cary, and in downtown Raleigh has been good. I can't seem to get a signal in some of the stores at Triangle Town Center but otherwise haven't had a problem.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:14 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,969,727 times
I have pretty good coverage with SunCom, which resells AT&T bandwith. There are a few places that it gets dropped, but not often around Raleigh and Cary.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:08 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,641 times
AT&T has been fine for me so far, save for some low-lying areas of Chapel Hill (where most cell reception is bad). I live in Carrboro and the reception most places there is quite good. I've never had problems in Raleigh or Durham either.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:51 AM

745 posts, read 2,208,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarrillo View Post
I have pretty good coverage with SunCom, which resells AT&T bandwith. There are a few places that it gets dropped, but not often around Raleigh and Cary.
AT&T is not affiliated with SunCom. Once upon a time, SunCom and AT&T Wireless had a strategic affiliation agreement in which the two companies cooperated and SunCom advertised itself as an AT&T company, however, that ended in 2004 with the AT&T Wireless and Cingular merger. At that time, SunCom went about things as an independent wireless provider. Currently, SunCom and AT&T don't resell or share any resources. They operate under separate licenses, with separate cell sites. SunCom is currently in the process of selling out to T-Mobile pending FCC approval.

Irvinegal, it's really hard to compare AT&T in Raleigh vs. California if you're just curious about coverage here since yours is poor. AT&T does not employ the same network engineers on the west coast as in the east coast. AT&T also operates under a 1900 MHz band PCS license throughout the Carolinas whereas they have an 850 MHz band Cellular license throughout most of California. In PCS coverage, more towers are necessary because a higher frequency signal travels less distance and doesn't penetrate indoors as well so you're talking about a different coverage strategy. This is probably the basis for mfrank's experiences. Although you're trying to compare the coverage in two areas for the same company which seems like a valid comparison, you're really comparing apples to oranges. The feedback and experiences you hear in the Triangle would have very little bearing on feedback and experiences in California.

Personally, on my AT&T line I think they do well in the Triangle. As mfrank alluded to, they're not as good indoors as a cellular band provider here such as alltel, which usually gives me a little stronger signal and is overall a little better. But there are a few areas where AT&T does give me the strongest signal so it really depends on your exact location. Overall with AT&T, you'll get a few drops, but just about anywhere in the Triangle save a couple places in Chapel Hill, at least outdoors or near a window, you shouldn't have any trouble making a call. But there are good and bad areas for any network and they seem to have a good buildout around the Triangle. They're probably a provider most people want to avoid if they do much traveling into NE North Carolina or several other rural areas. But I wouldn't say they're a provider to avoid within the Triangle.

Last edited by Trevor92; 12-27-2007 at 01:26 AM.. Reason: spelling change

Old 12-27-2007, 12:01 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,948,486 times
I have had AT&T since my analog phone days...LOL...AT&T then it went to Cingular, back to AT&T now...I always had great service with AT&T...I always have a strong signal, no dropped calls, etc...very happy with them...and with the Rollover Plan I have, it's great that you can rollover unused minutes month-to-month...extremely satisfied with AT&T. now Time Warner Digital Phone for my land line is another story/topic...lol

Old 12-27-2007, 01:22 PM

718 posts, read 2,972,993 times
I have AT&T and live in Cary and I think it works great.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:30 PM

376 posts, read 1,062,340 times
thank you all for your feedback!! Glad to hear it seems like ill have fewer dropped calls here. In SoCal I've had awful service. FYI I have an iPhone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary