Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 07:13 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times

Advertisements

This is a scary story:

Two sought after Orange County home invasion, chase :: WRAL.com

Apparently the guys broke into the house at 3am when the owners were asleep. No knocking on the door then.

I do answer the door in my neighborhood. Typically it's a neighborhood kid fundraising for school sports or boy scouts — I figure I'll buy their coupons so when it's my kid's turn karma will be in our favor — or it's an environmental group like Environment NC (formerly NC PIRG) or the Human Rights Campaign. We get the occasional landscaping/gutter cleaning folks drumming up business, too. Once I got a guy from Edward Jones Investment Company!? Used to get Jehovah's Witnesses, but I guess they gave up on us. Haven't seen the Mormons in awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 07:18 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I agree RedZin. I wouldn't worry about the more murders part, because if I'm not mistaken all of them were domestic in nature? Cary could have 20-30 domestic crime murders a year and that in itself would not bother me (although I would wonder what's in the water). What concerns me is Wake County and western Wake in general (typically a safer area than eastern Wake) have apparently seen a rash of car/home burglaries lately and even some home invasions/robberies while people were inside their homes. When people start breaking into homes when they know someone is inside is when it gets really brazen and becomes much more of a serious problem IMO.

Most thieves just want your stuff, not a confrontation and they can be dealt with 99% of the time by taking precautions and locking your car, house or other property up. When these animals start breaking into occupied homes we have a much more serious problem on our hands. It makes you think and it makes me concerned for my wife and child especially. I have no qualms about shooting someone who would dare break into my house when me and/or my family is home. I hope no one else would either.
Was that last murder domestic? I should read the follow up on it.

Home invasions really disturb me. Robberies are bad enough without the possibility of the victims being physically injured.

The cars being broken into is why I'm a huge fan of USING the garage that came with one's house. No car sitting in the driveway may well equal no burglar in on your property.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
This is a scary story:

Two sought after Orange County home invasion, chase :: WRAL.com

Apparently the guys broke into the house at 3am when the owners were asleep. No knocking on the door then.

I do answer the door in my neighborhood. Typically it's a neighborhood kid fundraising for school sports or boy scouts — I figure I'll buy their coupons so when it's my kid's turn karma will be in our favor — or it's an environmental group like Environment NC (formerly NC PIRG) or the Human Rights Campaign. We get the occasional landscaping/gutter cleaning folks drumming up business, too. Once I got a guy from Edward Jones Investment Company!? Used to get Jehovah's Witnesses, but I guess they gave up on us. Haven't seen the Mormons in awhile.
Good grief! That is scary. I wonder if they thought nobody was home?

Old 09-05-2014, 07:50 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
Quote:
I agree RedZin. I wouldn't worry about the more murders part, because if I'm not mistaken all of them were domestic in nature? Cary could have 20-30 domestic crime murders a year and that in itself would not bother me (although I would wonder what's in the water).
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Was that last murder domestic? I should read the follow up on it.
The last one wasn't domestic...he's admitted he was trying to steal her purse, and when she resisted, he shot her.

The laundromat one doesn't appear to have been domestic either, although likely not just a random killing. Haven't heard full details on that one.

I guess you could call the Wysocki one a domestic. He was targeted by a guy who had dated his daughter...I'm not clear on why. But they guy (a college professor) drove from New Hampshire, killed Wysocki, then drove on to Florida where he committed suicide in a motel.

The first one of the year was definitely domestic...brother on brother.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
The last one wasn't domestic...he's admitted he was trying to steal her purse, and when she resisted, he shot her.

The laundromat one doesn't appear to have been domestic either, although likely not just a random killing. Haven't heard full details on that one.

I guess you could call the Wysocki one a domestic. He was targeted by a guy who had dated his daughter...I'm not clear on why. But they guy (a college professor) drove from New Hampshire, killed Wysocki, then drove on to Florida where he committed suicide in a motel.

The first one of the year was definitely domestic...brother on brother.
Ahhh. Yes. I forgot one was in a laundromat.

I didn't know one was shot in a purse snatching. That is TRAGIC. I have no money in my purse 95% of the time. My CC companies are fast with fraud protection, and OnStar will stop my car while it is in motion. Ask me if I'd fight for my purse.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:10 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
Oh yeah you're correct. The nurse that was shot in the apartment parking lot. Now that is very concerning.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:29 AM

371 posts, read 1,218,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
This is a scary story:

Used to get Jehovah's Witnesses, but I guess they gave up on us
Yes, we, too, do get those folks

Funny thing is, slightly off the track, we went to a Korean store (near the erstwhile Galaxy theater) and while coming out of the store, there were a man and woman (seems Korean) outside and they were like super glue that wouldn't let us go. They kept telling us why we should follow their faith. I asked him one question bluntly - are all people in your faith happy and at the same time do they think all people in my faith are not happy. He and she did not have an answer

Old 09-05-2014, 09:32 AM

656 posts, read 1,341,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
Some are selling religion. Those people would like to spend fifteen minutes telling you about their religious beliefs but have no time to hear about yours.

Talking 'bout the Mormons? When I lived near US40/NC42, they came to my door fairly regularly.
It was either them, or the people trying to sell the Kirby.
I got a paper target from Davi's, put a group through the silhouette head, one through the heart area, and one through the crotch. Then I taped it to the door, and wrote on there, "NO SOLICITATION - THIS MEANS YOU, *******". Worked for a while until some mom trying to sell Girl Scout cookies (the one solicitor I would be willing to tolerate) complained to my landlord.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:15 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Same here. All doors locked/dead bolted but if we're outside the door near us is unlocked. My outer garage door has a sensor on it that indicates if it's open. That's checked every night when I make my "locking" rounds (minimum of 2x since I'm OCD about locked doors at night).
Quote:
Glad to know I'm not the only one. I make my rounds to check all doors at night, even if I know they're locked. That's not to say that doors have been left accidentally unlocked before, but I definitely try and do my due diligence. It's cheap insurance as most burglaries are crimes of opportunity. If someone really wants in, they're going to have to break down the door or bash a window in. If that happens, I have more time to be ready for them with my little friend
I make rounds too. Both of our cars are in the garage. It's a tight squeeze but we make it work so nothing is left out overnight. You hate to think of someone breaking into your home but it can happen anywhere. I hate to feel like I'm paranoid but I would rather be safe than sorry. I can tell you anyone breaking in would be very sorry though

Old 09-05-2014, 10:22 AM

218 posts, read 287,931 times
About a month ago I had someone try to open my back door. It was in the afternoon and I was home at the time. I reported it to the police.

I live in West Cary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary