Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2014, 01:47 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,120,067 times

Advertisements

Be sure there's no water leak causing this before proceeding.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 05:38 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,463,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzabraham View Post
We're are you located sir if in the Dfw area I'm a asbestos contractor and I could take a look at it for you
This is the Raleigh/Durham NC list.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:51 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 19 days ago)

43,171 posts, read 76,782,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
This is the Raleigh/Durham NC list.
Look out for the "Trip Charge..."

Old 12-28-2014, 11:25 AM

2 posts, read 6,366 times
Default Where are you folks getting those cheap estimates for abatement?

Well, I've joined this particular crowd because I've been had! Purchased this house (built in 1977) in May of 2014, put in a pool (this was to be my retirement home) and was getting ready to get the kitchen redone. Lowe's wouldn't touch it until I had it tested. $800.00 later in testing and I've got asbestos in the popcorn ceiling throughout the entire house and the soffit in the kitchen has it as well!

Did I mention that both the inspectors noted that ALL the ceilings had been painted!

Disclosure in writing from the sellers? "No asbestos" Anything or warning from the realtors? Nada!

There are only two main reasons to paint a popcorn ceiling (1) to hide stains (usually from a roof leaking) and (2) to encapsulate asbestos.

Oh, and the sellers were kind enough to have left me with 26 cans of paint to dispose of, two of which were ceiling paint! Along with a totally filthy house! Did they know? Good luck on proving that one! I've checked with two of the neighbors and both of them said that the sellers painted everything to ensure a sale. Proof they knew about the asbestos? Iffy in a court at best. Plus, add in that the sellers may well be judgment-proof even if I do happen to win. Then I'm out attorney's fees and court costs so it looks like those sellers are going to get away with it. The time and expense of a lawsuit is far more than the cost of abatement!

The abatement will take a week along with the final inspection and I have to move out and put all my stuff in the garage.

Cost estimates to abate: $8,000 up to $10,000 for a 1400 sq. ft. house.

I'm just going to have to suck it up and dive into the retirement fund AGAIN!

One more thing to consider. If you hide it or encapsulate it, when you decide you want to sell, you'd better disclose it! The folks I bought from got away with it but you got to ask yourself, if I don't disclose, "Am I feeling lucky today?"

Any other horror stories out there?

Old 12-29-2014, 07:07 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,463,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mporta View Post
Well, I've joined this particular crowd because I've been had! Purchased this house (built in 1977) in May of 2014, put in a pool (this was to be my retirement home) and was getting ready to get the kitchen redone. Lowe's wouldn't touch it until I had it tested. $800.00 later in testing and I've got asbestos in the popcorn ceiling throughout the entire house and the soffit in the kitchen has it as well!

Did I mention that both the inspectors noted that ALL the ceilings had been painted!

Disclosure in writing from the sellers? "No asbestos" Anything or warning from the realtors? Nada!

There are only two main reasons to paint a popcorn ceiling (1) to hide stains (usually from a roof leaking) and (2) to encapsulate asbestos.

Oh, and the sellers were kind enough to have left me with 26 cans of paint to dispose of, two of which were ceiling paint! Along with a totally filthy house! Did they know? Good luck on proving that one! I've checked with two of the neighbors and both of them said that the sellers painted everything to ensure a sale. Proof they knew about the asbestos? Iffy in a court at best. Plus, add in that the sellers may well be judgment-proof even if I do happen to win. Then I'm out attorney's fees and court costs so it looks like those sellers are going to get away with it. The time and expense of a lawsuit is far more than the cost of abatement!

The abatement will take a week along with the final inspection and I have to move out and put all my stuff in the garage.

Cost estimates to abate: $8,000 up to $10,000 for a 1400 sq. ft. house.

I'm just going to have to suck it up and dive into the retirement fund AGAIN!

One more thing to consider. If you hide it or encapsulate it, when you decide you want to sell, you'd better disclose it! The folks I bought from got away with it but you got to ask yourself, if I don't disclose, "Am I feeling lucky today?"

Any other horror stories out there?
Why is it unreasonable to think that they never had any testing done, it wasn't a big deal to them because they didn't plan to scrape ceilings and encapsulation is a reasonable (and recommended) way to deal with asbestos?

My house was built in the 60's. Every person that has lived in it since then hasn't done asbestos testing. Why would you incur the expense if you're just going to paint it anyway? And why would you disclose something if you don't actually know it to be true? If YOU want to know what is in a house you buy YOU should have done the testing before you bought. There is absolutely no good reason to assume your sellers *knew* that it was asbestos. Painting a house before selling, even the ceiling, is perfectly reasonable and doesn't indicate any ulterior motives.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:31 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,265,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Why would you incur the expense if you're just going to paint it anyway? And why would you disclose something if you don't actually know it to be true? If YOU want to know what is in a house you buy YOU should have done the testing before you bought. There is absolutely no good reason to assume your sellers *knew* that it was asbestos. Painting a house before selling, even the ceiling, is perfectly reasonable and doesn't indicate any ulterior motives.
ABSOLUTELY.

People paint ceilings, popcorn or not, for the same reasons they paint the rest of the house. It's dirty, old and tired-looking. A fresh coat of paint makes it look so much better. ANY buyer should know that there is a possibility of asbestos in construction materials used in older homes. It can be in the linoleum/vinyl flooring, too. If a BUYER is going to entertain the idea of buying an older home it's on them to decide if they can deal with any problems that arise. Sellers are not required to disclose. They can check the "no representation" box which basically means "I'm not answering". When I sold my parents' house built in the 50s "as-is" I checked that box.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:23 AM

19 posts, read 43,219 times
So what did everyone end up paying per sq ft for removal?

Old 02-13-2015, 04:11 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,138,577 times
for a whole house/large space it's still running about $1/sqft. if you don't get it tested or otherwise find asbestos.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:23 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,759,496 times
Who has done this at $1/sq ft and who did you use?

Old 02-14-2015, 07:48 AM

2 posts, read 6,366 times
Mine ran over $5.00 sq ft for asbestos abatement but I live in Vegas. And I'm still dealing with the mess they left!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary