Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,397 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to get info on internet and cable in the Durham area. Have not seen good reviews for the options I've found. I do a lot of streaming so I would like fast reliable service. Looking for for the same kinda info on cable. Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 11:54 AM

523 posts, read 1,323,691 times
You don't have much choice, I'm afraid. Time Warner provides the only cable service in Durham, and is probably the best option for Internet, too. Frontier DSL Internet is also available, though, with speeds up to 24 Mbps in some areas.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:54 AM

5,032 posts, read 3,661,388 times
I have TWC Triple Play 2 boxes $113 monthly no problems. HBO and Cinemax for two years.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:09 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,904,870 times
For now - TWC or Earthlink, which is a reseller of TWC.

Don't lock into a long term deal. AT&T will be offering a fiber optic product soon in parts of Durham. Google is also considering fiber for the Durham area. So be careful not to get roped into long term commitments.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:54 PM

862 posts, read 3,542,701 times
I've been using Frontier DSL since before they bought it from Verizon and have had mostly good service. There was a marked difference (for the worst) when Frontier took over, but I have had no problems even close to what TWC customers complain about. I just had a situation where my wiring was cut when my landlord was doing some work at my home and tech support sent someone out the next day for repairs which was earlier than they first told me.

Our family has three laptops, a desktop, and wi-fi internet for my phone and we have no problems streaming videos, running software for my kids schoolwork, playing LOTS of kiddie computer games, etc.

I'm not sure what the speed we have, but we pay for the faster of the two options (last time I checked) for $39.99 a month.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:39 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 18 days ago)

43,163 posts, read 76,770,993 times
"Reviews" are always tilted toward the negative.
Happy people don't commonly review as much as unhappy people nursing a grudge over a bad experience.

We've been on TWC for years, internet and cable, and it has performed just fine, with few issues.
The DVR is a bit dated.
You should be able to get a ton of digital cable and 30/5 Roadrunner Extreme, for about $125/month.
Buy your own modem for $15--$35 and save the monthly rental fee.

TWC will give you the deal with an end date, but without tying you down to a contract.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:01 AM

19,395 posts, read 27,683,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"Reviews" are always tilted toward the negative.
Happy people don't commonly review as much as unhappy people nursing a grudge over a bad experience.

We've been on TWC for years, internet and cable, and it has performed just fine, with few issues.
The DVR is a bit dated.
You should be able to get a ton of digital cable and 30/5 Roadrunner Extreme, for about $125/month.
Buy your own modem for $15--$35 and save the monthly rental fee.

TWC will give you the deal with an end date, but without tying you down to a contract.
I'm in agreement with Mike on the internet. TWC works well and is very reliable (which is good since their customer service is pretty crappy). Do buy your own modem.

I'll disagree on the cable, primariky because of the DVR. It's not dated - it's antiquated. The search function is seriously limited and deeply flawed when compared to anything else. The storage is well below compititors. The cost is well above DirectTV and Dish. (We are delighted with DirectTV, including their customer service).

We also dumped TWC phone and installed Ooma. Same quality, way less money.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:59 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,203,585 times
I have TWC and lose my internet connection several times/day-same with the home phone, which I want to ditch since the only calls we get daily are telemarketers, but unsure of other options.
I even called TWC the other day and scheduled an appointment. they called back the next day-pretty sure the person calling was not in the US-I could barely understand them, and they said from their end our internet was fine and they wanted to cancel the service all. So, not at all happy with their internet-and we pay more for the better one, but have a very slow connection.
I'd like to know how some people have good connections with TWC when ours is nothing but trouble. When I read of another company with better service, I'd love to switch but it seems TWC is the main option right now.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:01 AM

19,395 posts, read 27,683,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
I have TWC and lose my internet connection several times/day-same with the home phone, which I want to ditch since the only calls we get daily are telemarketers, but unsure of other options.
I even called TWC the other day and scheduled an appointment. they called back the next day-pretty sure the person calling was not in the US-I could barely understand them, and they said from their end our internet was fine and they wanted to cancel the service all. So, not at all happy with their internet-and we pay more for the better one, but have a very slow connection.
I'd like to know how some people have good connections with TWC when ours is nothing but trouble. When I read of another company with better service, I'd love to switch but it seems TWC is the main option right now.
Try getting a new modem. Or if you have a wireless router, it might need upgrading and/or replacing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary