Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 09:19 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times

Advertisements

Has anyone disputed their tax valuation? I think I am going to do so. What's the easiest way to get the ball rolling for those who have done it?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 10:05 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Has anyone disputed their tax valuation? I think I am going to do so. What's the easiest way to get the ball rolling for those who have done it?
Thanks!
The Wake.gov Revenue Dept's website is helpful.
And when I called in, I spoke with a very helpful woman who basically told me what the paperwork says.

My neighborhood appears to be about 10% over-assessed. Two neighbors have already filed. I am going to do mine and the next door neighbors' market studies to help set a price.
Next door re-financed this year, and that appraisal will carry some weight.

I re-fi'ed two years ago, and believe that I can take that appraisal and plug in some appreciation and come up with one number.

I can also do current/recent sales data from the neighborhood, $$$/SF, and calc it that way. If you bought with a Realtor, they should be willing to come up with a current fair market value for you,a nd support it.

I will figure it a couple of ways, come up with a reasonable number, and send my calcs to the Revenue folks with a friendly cover letter.

Hey, if I can get a 10% adjustment, it will pay for one year's taxes in 10 years. Why not give it a go?

Old 12-26-2007, 08:33 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,968,917 times
Better Hurry!!! The deadline to file an appeal is January 1st 2008.

You can get the forms online at: http://www.wakegov.com/tax/reval/appeals.htm if you lost your copy.

You have to give reasons like an appraisal, show recent sales in the area, etc. The more you can document and show figures to support it the more likely it will get approved. If you just say "I want to pay less" becuase 1-2 homes are listed for lower it is unlikely to get much attention. Good luck!

Old 12-26-2007, 08:55 PM

655 posts, read 916,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Thanks!
I have filed 3 appeals in my day and been successful in all 3. Why? Because the properties were truly over-valued and I took a day of my time and about $500 of money for an inspection to prove it. I then laid out a well formatted, documented presentation. In all 3 cases, I got the amount I suggested the property was worth. I had done my homework, did not demand a huge discount, was professional, polite and on point. I do not challenge a tax evaluation unless I think it to be unfair, but lets face it folks, all they are taxing you on is a best guess scenario.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:15 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarrillo View Post
Better Hurry!!! The deadline to file an appeal is January 1st 2008.

You can get the forms online at: http://www.wakegov.com/tax/reval/appeals.htm if you lost your copy.

You have to give reasons like an appraisal, show recent sales in the area, etc. The more you can document and show figures to support it the more likely it will get approved. If you just say "I want to pay less" becuase 1-2 homes are listed for lower it is unlikely to get much attention. Good luck!
This is not so.
The January 1 date is a request, but the actual deadline is a couple of months away.
Information gleaned from a call to the Recorder's Office.

Well, having said that, I looked further, and see this:
http://www.wakegov.com/NR/rdonlyres/...assessment.pdf
"How can I determine if the appraisal is accurate?
Consider the value in relation to your neighborhood.
Does the appraised value appear to be close to the price you would consider reasonable if you were to list your
property for sale? If so, the appraisal is correct.

What if I believe the appraisal is incorrect?
All property owners have the right to appeal the
appraised valuation. The most effective way is to use
the appeal form we have included with your notice
This form must be returned to us by January 1, 2008,
to be considered for an appeal."

It's worth the phone call:
"For questions regarding real estate values or the revaluation process, please call 919-856-6001."

I called regarding the plight of folks who buy a home at or around the January 1 deadline, and was tols the deadline was flexible.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 12-27-2007 at 04:31 AM..

Old 12-27-2007, 02:04 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,968,917 times
Mike - good comment, the best policy is to call and ask them directly.

When I spoke with them a month ago for a client they said January 1st was a cutoff for people who got the notices back 2-3 months ago. Of course I am sure there is an exception for people who just bought.... and you can always complain if values decrease sharply as people in CA and FL are now doing.

I emailed a contact I have spoken to before, and they confirmed they will take appeals after 1/1.... but he also said to please get it in by then or ASAP if possible. They are monitoring the workload (I am sure they have extra staff right now for this) so they can give it a proper review.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:15 PM

39 posts, read 214,560 times
I would be sure and get the appeal in before the deadline, regardless of what anyone was told over the phone.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:05 PM

85 posts, read 451,567 times
Ok, so here's where I feel that my college degree is getting rusty.....! My question is do you need to appeal if your evaluation came in less (say $25,000) than you paid for your home purchased 6 months ago? If we're not planning to list anytime soon do we just relax and accept a smaller tax bill as a good thing? Or do we worry because the home is undervalued?

Old 12-28-2007, 03:24 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkburk View Post
Ok, so here's where I feel that my college degree is getting rusty.....! My question is do you need to appeal if your evaluation came in less (say $25,000) than you paid for your home purchased 6 months ago? If we're not planning to list anytime soon do we just relax and accept a smaller tax bill as a good thing? Or do we worry because the home is undervalued?
It is not just a good thing--it's a great thing. Less taxes. I wouldn't care so much if I were in your situation. The Realtors on this board have repeatedly said that the tax value has very little to do with the actual value of the home when you go to sell it.

I wish I were in that boat. My tax value went up 57% since last valuation and is 40% more than the amount I purchased my home for 2 years ago.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:09 PM

85 posts, read 451,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
It is not just a good thing--it's a great thing. Less taxes. I wouldn't care so much if I were in your situation. The Realtors on this board have repeatedly said that the tax value has very little to do with the actual value of the home when you go to sell it.

I wish I were in that boat. My tax value went up 57% since last valuation and is 40% more than the amount I purchased my home for 2 years ago.
Thanks for the input and you're right I shouldn't worry too much. I guess having come from IL where our taxes went up every year I felt a little unsure what it all meant in the long run. Still better than the $10,000/year we use to pay....

While paying the higher tax rate isn't a good thing, overall isn't still in your best interest to have an increase in your property value? Or is the evaluation it way off base?

Last edited by rkburk; 12-28-2007 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary