Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 03:06 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times

Advertisements

The input is to also let him know that there are other places to get instruction and shoot so that he's not limited in which shops to go to. Hopefully the additional information is of value to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 03:29 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
A friend suggested getting a revolver over a semi-auto, with the thinking a revolver is much less likely to jam, which is the last thing you need in an emergency.
Modern semi-autos are pretty reliable, even when cycling hollow points. The angles of the feed ramps in older designs such as the 1911 sometimes didn't accommodate hollow points well. You could have a good smith put a polished feed ramp up on one of these and they (might) cycle certain brands of HP's reliably but I wouldn't wager on it.

Even still you can't beat the reliability and simplicity of a revolver, that is until you have fired your 5 or 6 shots then reloading can be cumbersome. I have a feeling this is why many police depts. switched over to semi-autos in the 70's-80's.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:23 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Asking gun owners which is the best home defense gun is like asking a coffee snob which is the best coffee. You will get 100 people with 100 different answers.

My question to you, is would you ever consider carrying a gun? If not, then you don't need to focus on concealment for a gun. Buy the biggest one you feel is the most comfortable in your hand. If you decide to conceal, then get one just for that purpose.

My personal choice? A pistol caliber carbine with a suppressor. Yes suppressors are legal to own. You have to jump through some hoops and spend money, but at least you don't have to worry about permanent hearing damage if you use your gun indoors. I like the Kriss Vector and Sig is coming out with the MPX sometime soon.

For you I would recommend a Glock in 45, 40, or 9mm. They are comfortable, insanely reliable, and no need to worry about a manual safety. Pick it up and it's ready to fire as long as one is in the chamber.

Shotgun is also a good choice. 20 gauge has less recoil and less knockdown, but it will get the job done. Semi auto shotgun could potentially jam, and you might short stroke a pump action. There are pros and cons to any choice you make. I like the handgun route because you get more shots, easy to maneuver, free hand to hold a flashlight, faster to reload, and it can be suppressed pretty easily.

Any gun shop will have information on safety classes you can take. When Triangle shooting academy opens, they will offer classes, and even simunation training which I'm really excited for.

My favorite shops are Carolina Gun Runners in NE Raleigh and Fuquay Gun and Gold. Their staff is AMAZING and helpful to everyone who comes through the door.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:31 AM

656 posts, read 1,340,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Yes suppressors are legal to own.
Getting approved for NFA tax stamps in NC.... especially in Wake, Johnston, and Harnett Counties.... yeah, whole lot easier said than done. It's actually easier to do here in Colorado, even in spite of the current administration in this state and the passage of SB1224.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mire View Post
Getting approved for NFA tax stamps in NC.... especially in Wake, Johnston, and Harnett Counties.... yeah, whole lot easier said than done. It's actually easier to do here in Colorado, even in spite of the current administration in this state and the passage of SB1224.
You know, I've always wondered about this although I never tried. I guess I should have ponied up and purchased a transferable MG prior to 86 like many others did but I was so preoccupied at that time.

I know for a while many CA people were setting up NFA trusts in Nevada.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:07 PM

770 posts, read 2,753,178 times
If you are thinking about getting a weapon for home defense it's important to select it within the context of the user and the environment in which it is to be used. I'm a state firearms instructor for LEO and my advice is to be assessed shooting a bunch of weapons and get an assessment done IN YOUR HOME. I have done this type of thing many times as a consultant and it's amazing that people want to get a weapon and that's the end of their plan.
You need a comprehensive plan that covers ( at a minimum) what you will do reference
- who else in in the home and what their actions will be
- your actions in relation to your home layout
- your actions in relation to where the intruders are expected to be.
- these and other preparations will provide confidence which is imperative to success

+ most people drastically underestimate the effects of stress on your body in times like a home invasion. You will hardly be able to contain yourself let alone conduct fine motor skill procedures such as weapon loading, key handling etc.

Buying a weapon for home defense without other preparations can cause a lot of problems. I've been in my home when it was broken into during the night and it's not an experience I would like to repeat (neither would the offenders..) but I'm ready if it does happen.

Last edited by steve54; 09-13-2014 at 02:41 PM..

Old 09-14-2014, 02:26 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
+ most people drastically underestimate the effects of stress on your body in times like a home invasion. You will hardly be able to contain yourself let alone conduct fine motor skill procedures such as weapon loading, key handling etc.

Buying a weapon for home defense without other preparations can cause a lot of problems. I've been in my home when it was broken into during the night and it's not an experience I would like to repeat (neither would the offenders..) but I'm ready if it does happen.
I will 100% agree with this. My alarm system sounded one night ~1:30am. I have never had a false alarm, either. Not only did the siren scare the crap out of me I also thought I heard a noise from movement downstairs. Although it only took around 30 seconds it seemed to take 10 minutes for me to gain my composure for a situation for which I have been training for years. Problem is I was trained for the situation in a controlled environment and not for one in my own house. That was, by far, the most scared I have ever been in my life. It's a different thought process once "go time" happens in reality.

Turned out to be the back door sensor had faulted and the noise from a scared cat jumping off the counter top since she's not supposed to be up there. I have since added situational awareness after being awoken from a dead sleep to my training and a Cane Corso to the family. Although I love my dog and don't wish him any harm he is there to put himself between an intruder and my family. Hopefully it never happens but one day he may save a life and it might just be the intruder's.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:10 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mire View Post
Doesn't a trust solve the issue?

Old 09-19-2014, 02:27 PM

770 posts, read 2,753,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I will 100% agree with this. My alarm system sounded one night ~1:30am. I have never had a false alarm, either. Not only did the siren scare the crap out of me I also thought I heard a noise from movement downstairs. Although it only took around 30 seconds it seemed to take 10 minutes for me to gain my composure for a situation for which I have been training for years. Problem is I was trained for the situation in a controlled environment and not for one in my own house. That was, by far, the most scared I have ever been in my life. It's a different thought process once "go time" happens in reality.
My situation was someone forcing a downstairs window to gain entry. The splitting of the wood window frame woke me up but it was a minute or so before I identified it. Adrenaline was already pumping but when I got downstairs, I looked through the crack in the hall door and could see the guy working at forcing the window - adrenaline surge #2! Difficult to replicate that feeling in a training environment..

Old 09-20-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
My situation was someone forcing a downstairs window to gain entry. The splitting of the wood window frame woke me up but it was a minute or so before I identified it. Adrenaline was already pumping but when I got downstairs, I looked through the crack in the hall door and could see the guy working at forcing the window - adrenaline surge #2! Difficult to replicate that feeling in a training environment..
Im surprised that these people don't break in during office hours on weekdays, when most likely nobody is home to stop them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary