Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 02:56 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,220,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwhy View Post
I'm sorry it didn't go in paragraph form! I'm not sure what happened but I thought the same thing after it was posted. Also, I hope this doesn't turn into a "transplants ruined our city" forum. That's not what I intended. Just trying to gain some insight to the explosive growth.

Thanks.
I don't think transplants have ruined the area. On the contrary. They've made it refreshingly diverse.

I do think there are potential infrastructure issues, though.

From what you described, it sounds like you'd enjoy the Triangle as it is now.

If I had my crystal ball, I could give you a better answer, of course.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:21 PM

5 posts, read 4,335 times
Thank you everybody for such quick and helpful responses. All input is appreciated, especially from people who have some knowledge of MN. It's nice to have something for reference/comparison. Does anybody know the projected overall growth?

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 06:16 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,085,858 times
Growth | www.wakeupwakecounty.org

Old 09-13-2014, 10:30 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,864,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryant73 View Post
I am in the same boat I suppose. My family and I have decided to move to the triangle area, and although most responses have been positive there have been a couple about transplants ruining our city" non-sense. I mean if no one moved to the triangle, there wouldn't be much of a population right? Which also helps keep the economy going? It's not that big or populated. So, not sure why some have to complain and moan. I lived in Phx, Az (metro) where it went from 1.3 million to 4.5 million. And it's still rapidly expanding. So... what's the problem if a family wants to bring their kids up in your community, that should be a compliment for your city.
To your comment about not much of a population if ppl didn't move here - I am a transplant, and to be honest, when I moved here, they were doing fine without me I am not sure, after all the growth we've seen here, that residents look at folks wanting to move as a compliment. Conversely, you will find that overall, folks have no issue with folks moving here. The issue they have is with their quality of life - longer commute and crowded schools in SOME areas.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:40 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,864,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Thank for sharing, great info!

Old 09-13-2014, 11:26 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,415,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
You're back!!! Missed your posts!

Back to the OP, every time any city or town makes the "The Best town for {{insert here}}", you can expect an influx of transplants looking for something better (this is very individual). Growth seemed to slow here in 2009 - 2010 and in the past year, growth has been explosive. While I do not have a crystal ball, I'm betting this growth continues for a while which certainly impacts on the infrastructure.

That being said, we love it here and would not go back to the northeast.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:03 PM

5 posts, read 4,335 times
It seems there are some growing pains, but hopefully they can be worked through. I suppose current residents feel the growth is great to extend, but at some point there needs to be some control and management. That is what my family is trying to figure out--if this move is worth it or if we are moving to a place where the over-growth has already decreased the quality of life (overcrowded, questionable schools, traffic, etc). The link to WakeupWakecounty gave some great (and grim) info. Thanks everybody for your thoughts.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:39 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,190,459 times
WakeUpWake is a political action group. There's been so many changes to this area since the economy began improving (2012) that any data from 2010 is pretty invalid.

When we had a significant drought 4 years ago, there were water-rationing measures & days. We haven't had widespread reports of water quality issues (ie, "don't drink the municipal water!").

Old 09-14-2014, 07:23 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,149,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superwhy View Post
It seems there are some growing pains, but hopefully they can be worked through. I suppose current residents feel the growth is great to extend, but at some point there needs to be some control and management. That is what my family is trying to figure out--if this move is worth it or if we are moving to a place where the over-growth has already decreased the quality of life (overcrowded, questionable schools, traffic, etc). The link to WakeupWakecounty gave some great (and grim) info. Thanks everybody for your thoughts.
With the current morons in power, we will most likely never get the following to make growth manageable.

1. Rail transit
2. Impact fees and prepayment for infrastructure
3. Retaining good teachers with respect and proper funding.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:29 PM

715 posts, read 887,937 times
Think we are past the point of discussion. Now it's damage control or look to leave if you don't like recent developments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary