Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 03:30 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannamoov View Post
When people have containment area for relocated Yankees as location or say it to you about Cary is it a joke or are you mad that people from other places are moving to Raleigh area. I am wondering cause it seems hurtful but I am hoping its not meant that way.
Some say it out of disgust, mostly tongue-in-cheek. The term has been around for decades. There are a lot of people in the area who avoid Cary for lots of reasons, but it does seem to have a higher-than-elsewhere share of transplants, especially from the North. You've got to realize that people who grew up in Cary remember when it was a little town of 7000 people, now it's over 100,000, with horrible traffic, crowding, rude people, etc. That doesn't mean anyone is going to treat you badly as an individual, but if your hometown had been flooded in such a short time with 100,000 people from elsewhere who changed the very way of life, I suspect your old neighbors would have "circled the wagons", too. It happens in every high-growth area--I know in Oregon, many think of Californians with disgust.

Don't let it bother you, but be aware of why it came about.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:08 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Some say it out of disgust, mostly tongue-in-cheek. The term has been around for decades. There are a lot of people in the area who avoid Cary for lots of reasons, but it does seem to have a higher-than-elsewhere share of transplants, especially from the North. You've got to realize that people who grew up in Cary remember when it was a little town of 7000 people, now it's over 100,000, with horrible traffic, crowding, rude people, etc. That doesn't mean anyone is going to treat you badly as an individual, but if your hometown had been flooded in such a short time with 100,000 people from elsewhere who changed the very way of life, I suspect your old neighbors would have "circled the wagons", too. It happens in every high-growth area--I know in Oregon, many think of Californians with disgust.

Don't let it bother you, but be aware of why it came about.

OP I live in Cary and came from "the North". The acronym is not offensive, calling an entire town rude, is offensive.

You will find that people make generalizations about Cary. It is full of transplants, as far as the majority being from "up north", I can't say that is what I experience. My neighbors and friends are from all over the country and world and only a handful are from the NE. You will read statements that Cary is "stepford". Again, that is not my experience, I have found my neighborhood and my kids schools to be diverse and frankly had the area not been diverse, I would not have moved here. People will say that since there are people from the NE here, that they are rude - because according to the stereotype people from NY/NJ are rude. The reality is, there are rude people are everywhere and amazingly enough they did not all come from "the north".

Old 09-16-2014, 06:17 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
I'm a product of WCPSS; I came up during the 1980s. These conversations that are being had right now are the same questions and conversations that were being had 30 years ago.

On a basic level, the Triangle area has grown by at least 25,000 every single year. If even 20% of the people moving into the area have at least one kid, that means that a new school would have to be built and opened every single year to accommodate the rate of growth. The bottom line is that Wake County (and the entire area in particular) will be in "catch-up" mode for the foreseeable future.

There are certainly downsides to that, but there's also a positive. As more people from other parts of the country - and even the world - move to the area, this is an opportunity for people to come together and really give as much input and ideas towards how the infrastructure issue can be addressed with such a high growth rate. Because, let's be clear ... if that growth rate has remained relatively steady for the past 30 years, there's no reason not to assume the rate will continue.

If you do decide to move to the area, I hope you will consider not only putting your children in the school system, but becoming active in helping the district find solutions to help every child achieve.

Pretty much the same thing for me. My parents and step-parents were all in various education positions so I had an even better view of it. North Raleigh schools had grounds filled with trailers in the 70's and 80's and they were woefully behind. It has not stopped since. Recently I read one of the Cary Mayor's blog posts over at CaryCitizen.com and he mentioned that in talks to the school board that they asked him why Cary could not just stop all development and they seemed to lack a basic understanding of zoning laws and property rights. I appreciate the position they are in trying to do a lot without 100% of the funding they probably need, but wow!

Old 09-16-2014, 10:38 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
OP I live in Cary and came from "the North". The acronym is not offensive, calling an entire town rude, is offensive.
I didn't call the entire town rude; my quote is "now it's over 100,000, with horrible traffic, crowding, rude people, etc."

Accent on "with rude people". Which is not the same as "it's nothing but rude people". There is (some) horrible traffic and crowding there, and some rude people. Nothing in what I wrote says that the whole town is NOTHING but traffic snarls 24/7 and 100% rude people.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:19 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I didn't call the entire town rude; my quote is "now it's over 100,000, with horrible traffic, crowding, rude people, etc."

Accent on "with rude people". Which is not the same as "it's nothing but rude people". There is (some) horrible traffic and crowding there, and some rude people. Nothing in what I wrote says that the whole town is NOTHING but traffic snarls 24/7 and 100% rude people.
You chose to describe Cary as "with horrible traffic, crowding, rude people, etc." all negatives. You felt it necessary to include rude people implying there are more in Cary then say, Raleigh or Wake Forest. Rude people are everywhere and yet I don't see anyone describing other towns in the area as "with rude people". I do not think this is an accurate description of Cary and want the OP to know that.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:14 PM

360 posts, read 516,180 times
I moved here about 5 months ago, also a little concerned about the attitudes toward new people. As far as I can tell they exist only on this message board. In reality, I'm sure, it's more difficult to make people feel unwelcome in person.

I don't think you will feel unwelcome. I'm in the west part of Cary where almost everyone is from somewhere else, though, so YMMV.

I grew up in a small town in the midwest, lived for 5+ years in both the Chicago suburbs and in Portland, OR. I have no idea what these people are talking about with the traffic complaints! I hear this all the time on here and if you've ever lived anywhere outside of small town America I don't think you'll be frustrated by the traffic.

Rude people!? hahahahaha Again, so confusing! I was probably a little cold when I moved here because I was waiting for all these rude people to appear. Still waiting... my neighbors are fantastic. I've only been here five months and I'm already depressed about moving out of our rental when we buy a house. In this short of time we already have a community here!

Anyway, good luck. Don't be afraid. Just be warm and considerate and you'll find that in return, I believe. Good luck to you!

Old 09-16-2014, 08:33 PM

360 posts, read 516,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
And yes, if people don't relocate, we might have a lot of empty houses. But empty houses don't put stress on the school system and then complain about how there are too many kids in the classrooms, none of the solutions offered by the school board for overcrowding are acceptable and they don't understand why they can't go to the school closest to them. FTR - that is not aimed at you. It's non-stop on this board (and in real life).

The towns and the school district here (Wake County) belong to different municipalities. School district is county based. Towns issue building permits. Towns want to make money and figure it's up to the school district to keep up with demand. School district doesn't have enough money to keep up with demand. It's like watching children fight.
It drives me crazy that you feel this way. We've been through this before, but hey, I'll ask one more time.

If I purchased the home we're renting now, for example, which was built 10 years ago, why should I have less access to the schools near me than the guy next door that purchased 10 years ago? That's completely illogical. I don't think it's unreasonable that people don't want to drive 20 minutes out of their way to drop their child off at school. This is not a new house -- it's 10 years old! At what point is my neighborhood established enough to deserve full county citizenship in your mind? Don't take the same taxes from me as from my neighbor and then give me partial access to the resources in my area of the county. Ridiculous.

We're going to buy in a non capped area anyway, but I still think your attitude is terrible toward new people. If Cary wants the jobs and new tax income from those jobs, they will have to provide schools. Over time it will all average out, and someday your neighborhood will need a school upgrade too and everyone else in Cary will have to foot the bill for that. Over time it averages out.

Weatherstone as the overflow for Mills Park Elem is stupid. And yes, it's also unreasonable that the Mills Park folks are against a year round schedule. And that they thought a march against it should be scheduled for 9/11 of all dates. But I digress...

Old 09-16-2014, 08:53 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherTransplant View Post
It drives me crazy that you feel this way. We've been through this before, but hey, I'll ask one more time.

If I purchased the home we're renting now, for example, which was built 10 years ago, why should I have less access to the schools near me than the guy next door that purchased 10 years ago? That's completely illogical. I don't think it's unreasonable that people don't want to drive 20 minutes out of their way to drop their child off at school. This is not a new house -- it's 10 years old! At what point is my neighborhood established enough to deserve full county citizenship in your mind? Don't take the same taxes from me as from my neighbor and then give me partial access to the resources in my area of the county. Ridiculous.

We're going to buy in a non capped area anyway, but I still think your attitude is terrible toward new people. If Cary wants the jobs and new tax income from those jobs, they will have to provide schools. Over time it will all average out, and someday your neighborhood will need a school upgrade too and everyone else in Cary will have to foot the bill for that. Over time it averages out.

Weatherstone as the overflow for Mills Park Elem is stupid. And yes, it's also unreasonable that the Mills Park folks are against a year round schedule. And that they thought a march against it should be scheduled for 9/11 of all dates. But I digress...
That's the point. WCPSS is a countywide system. The TOC has ZERO control over anything but issuing building permits so they can increase their tax base.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:16 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
As someone who lived through school desegregation in the South I hate the idea of neighborhood schools that by default become nearly all white schools or all minority schools.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:01 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
As someone who lived through school desegregation in the South I hate the idea of neighborhood schools that by default become nearly all white schools or all minority schools.
Same here, poppydog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary