Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 12:32 PM

54 posts, read 109,400 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty set on a boxer at this point. I contacted a breeder in the area who I got off the AKC, but he hasn't responded.

Does anyone know any breeders with boxer pups? I'm going to keep going through the AKC list I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 12:56 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,189,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
And if you did, you found out that cane corso's are FAR too aggressive to be around small children (yes, there are exceptions, but this owner isn't going to be strong enough in training them to be safe). You akso woukd have foubd that a "Giant Scnoodlec is a mutt. Roughky half giant scnauzer, half standard poodle.

please, don't do this to your family or the innocent dog. Get an older dog or a mutt from a rescue group so you can PRE DETERMINE its personality and temperment. And get one that's already trained.

BTW have you checked with your homeowners insurance company yet? Many will not insure clients who have so called "dangerous dog breeds". GSD is included on that list. (PLEASE, everyone, don't get pissy with me. My first and sweetest dog was a 90 pound female Doberman. But this insurance issue is one reason why I'll never own another Dobie. )
My parents used to raise Dobermans and poodles. Those Dobermans were so dumb that they acted like the poodles and used to jump into your lap if you were sitting, watching tv!

So, yes, I am used to large dogs.

However, no matter what anyone says about aggressive breeds...there are rental companies that will not rent to anyone with an "aggressive" breed. This includes apts. and single family homes.

There are communities in this area that will not allow you to buy if you have an aggressive breed (it is in the covenants) and there are insurance companies that will not insure you if you have an aggressive breed.

So, be aware before you buy. Boxers are included on this list. Lately, I've heard that German Shepherds are included as well. I disagree with Shepherds being included as I've had a GS and she was the smartest most obedient dog I've ever owned.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:27 PM

19,399 posts, read 27,703,839 times
Vicki R brings up a good point - that has been repeatedly stated here. Check with your homeowner's insurance company and your HOA (if you have one).

BTW, who is going to train the puppy?

Old 09-16-2014, 02:19 PM

715 posts, read 886,150 times
Funny you try to label dogs and they turn out to be the opposite from what you expect. I have a GSD that will curl up with you and lick you to death-she has no desire to "serve and protect". Now the Jack Russell is a different story he's very protective.

Just to let you know a pup is 24/7 for some time so might want to rethink it.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:45 PM

5,825 posts, read 6,888,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
However, no matter what anyone says about aggressive breeds...there are rental companies that will not rent to anyone with an "aggressive" breed. This includes apts. and single family homes.
The Wake County Animal Center has a list of apartments that specifically do not do that nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Lately, I've heard that German Shepherds are included as well. I disagree with Shepherds being included as I've had a GS and she was the smartest most obedient dog I've ever owned.
That's the exact reason BSL and breed restrictions don't work. Each dog is an individual. I volunteered at a very large animal shelter last year and the most vicious dog there is a dachshund.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:03 PM

19,399 posts, read 27,703,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
The Wake County Animal Center has a list of apartments that specifically do not do that nonsense.

That's the exact reason BSL and breed restrictions don't work. Each dog is an individual. I volunteered at a very large animal shelter last year and the most vicious dog there is a dachshund.
I think most of us here totally agree with you! Certainly Vicki R (an ex-GSD owner) and I (an ex-doberman owner) agree with you, so don't get pissy with us.

But facts are facts. Some insurance companies do refuse to insure people with certain breeds of dogs. Some landlords do refuse to rent to people with certain breeds of dogs. Certain communities and cities make it illegal to keep certain breeds of dogs.

(and, ironically, the only dog bite I ever received was on my face, at age eleven, by a dachshund. Took me 20 years to get over it. Thanks to Lucy, my doberman and a damned good dog trainer who knew how to deal with phobias. )

Old 09-16-2014, 03:05 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,570,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
The chihuahua next door wants to murder me...slowly and painfully.

The pit bull two houses down loves everyone and everything, even this chihuahua.

Anyway, I love boxers too but like any puppy they are going to need training. Also if you want it as a protector you need the training to teach it what is appropriate and what isn't. You don't want a dog aggressive to everyone. Really suggest you at least contacting Carolina Boxer Rescue, because there are puppies around from time to time. My former trainer once was taking care of a few tiny ones (adults now, this was a few years ago).

Edited: Oh! Carolina Boxer Rescue actually has several puppies listed on their available dogs page right now. Get in there quick!

Old 09-16-2014, 05:31 PM

185 posts, read 472,147 times
If you go with a boxer breeder make sure he has done health testing

Hip/Elbow Dysplasia

Hypothyroidism Thyroid Panel2 2 years Annually for Breeding date tested**

Aortic Valve Disease Auscultation / Doppler1 None None date tested**

AS / SAS Auscultation & Doppler Echocardiogram1 24 mos. 1 Once by Echo date tested**

Boxer Cardiomyopathy1 Holter Monitor 12 mos. Annually for Breeding date tested**

(ARVC Only)
(Recommended) DNA None Once A/A, A/N, N/N

Degenerative Myelopathy
(Recommended) DNA None Once A/A, A/N, N/N

Every boxer breeder should run these tests before breeding...if they dont test run away....you could be facing many years of medical issues

Old 09-16-2014, 07:35 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,272,406 times
White boxers are often deaf, too, I believe.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:42 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,272,406 times
Just coming into this thread late, but on the German Shorthaired Pointers, they are super high energy dogs and very pack oriented. We are experienced dog owners and have a GSP mix from the shelter and she is finally somewhat settling down at 5, almost 6 yrs old. They have a very high prey drive. A friend's GSP killed their cat. Mine has only caught squirrels and moles, etc. I would not recommend one with a 1 yr old. They need a lot of attention. After this dog, if we get another it will be something mellow like a Golden. I think I'm about done, though, to tell you the truth. She's A LOT of dog. I took puppy training classes with another GSP and that dog was also very high strung. We took our GSP mix on 3 mile walks when she was a baby (10-11 weeks) to try to wear her out and she still had plenty of energy after that. Definitely not a low energy mellow breed.

Oh, and they jump! Our GSP can almost jump our 6 foot wooden privacy fence. She can get her head and chest over it, just can't quite get the last bits over. She could _easily_ jump the three foot fence we had when we got her. I think she actually did it by accident the first time. She jumped 4 and 5 feet when we tried to extend it until we bit the bullet and bought the new 6 ft fence.

Last edited by poppydog; 09-16-2014 at 07:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary