Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2014, 03:07 PM

77 posts, read 98,705 times

Advertisements

My family and I plan on moving to Cary by next summer. Our grand daughter lives with us and she will only be four when we arrive so she'll have to wait another year to start kindergarten so curious about good day and affordable day cares in the area.

Thank you

Old 09-15-2014, 03:35 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,028,822 times
Quality day care in Cary is very expensive .
Will she need full time day care or is there the possibility of half day preschool, (which is generally much more affordable)?
I know you asked about Briarcliff ES in another thread, my kids went to Cary Presbyterian preschool which is very close by. We liked it a lot and it was very affordable (9am-1 PM). But there are LOTS of other preschool options around that part of town. And even though they are in a church, most are not terribly religious.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:28 PM

34,935 posts, read 36,065,245 times
You'd likely save a bundle if your wife stayed home with her until she's old enough for kindergarten.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:43 PM

28 posts, read 51,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You'd likely save a bundle if your wife stayed home with her until she's old enough for kindergarten.
Or if the OP stayed home. Wives don't corner the market on staying home with kids. Not all of us on this forum have the luxury of giving up an income to save $10-15K a year on day care. And many who can afford to give up an income like the socialization and transition to school environment that a day care or preschool provide a child.

But that is not what the OP asked. Folks in my office with preschoolers who live near Cary use Grove School and like it, but I don't know how affordable you need (it isn't cheap, but neither are most day cares here - we pay more for a toddler here in a nonprofit daycare than we did for an infant in a top of the line corporate center in SC). If you need cheaper look to West Raleigh. Others from my office with kids that age like Country Day Montessori off Western. Our daycare is probably too far southwest, so I don't suggest it, and with a toddler I don't yet have experience with the rigor of its preschool curriculum anyway.

Also ask on Triangle Mommies, you may get more suggestions there. Unfortunately it's a private forum, and membership does require that you be female, so your wife (or you, after all, who says OP is male?!?) will need to verify that to get an account.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:32 PM

77 posts, read 98,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WxJester View Post
Or if the OP stayed home. Wives don't corner the market on staying home with kids. Not all of us on this forum have the luxury of giving up an income to save $10-15K a year on day care. And many who can afford to give up an income like the socialization and transition to school environment that a day care or preschool provide a child.

But that is not what the OP asked. Folks in my office with preschoolers who live near Cary use Grove School and like it, but I don't know how affordable you need (it isn't cheap, but neither are most day cares here - we pay more for a toddler here in a nonprofit daycare than we did for an infant in a top of the line corporate center in SC). If you need cheaper look to West Raleigh. Others from my office with kids that age like Country Day Montessori off Western. Our daycare is probably too far southwest, so I don't suggest it, and with a toddler I don't yet have experience with the rigor of its preschool curriculum anyway.

Also ask on Triangle Mommies, you may get more suggestions there. Unfortunately it's a private forum, and membership does require that you be female, so your wife (or you, after all, who says OP is male?!?) will need to verify that to get an account.

Thank you. Yeah the up side to putting her in a good day care is a jump on education. Right now my wife is at home with her, and they do plenty of "online" preschool programs to help occupy the day. And she is smart and is doing well. These programs have helped so much. The downside is, is that she's stuck at home. She needs to learn how to be around other children and how to socialize with kids her own age. That's important. Where we live it's not like when I was a kid where we had plenty of kids on our block that we hung out with, played etc. It's not like that up here in Alaska. 8 months a year it's to cold to go out anyway. So she needs that time with other kids. Plus she needs to learn that it's ok to be away from grandma and take instructions from other "teachers" etc.

Another upside, is my wife had to put her life and job on hold when our grand daughter moved in with us when she was still a baby. My wife wants to get back to work and at this point she doesn't care what the work is, she just wants a break as well. The extra income is always nice. However, She needs to learn how to be around other adults and how to socialize with people her own age. That's important. Where we live it's not like when I was a kid my parents had plenty of friends on our block that they hung out with, played cards etc. It's not like that up here in Alaska. 8 months a year it's to cold to go out anyway. So she needs that time with other adults. Plus she needs to learn that it's ok to be away from the kids and take instructions from other "teachers", etc.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:00 PM

34,935 posts, read 36,065,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WxJester View Post

The OP's wife is currently unemployed and considering a career change. That's the only reason I suggested it.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:35 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,211,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
The OP's wife is currently unemployed and considering a career change. That's the only reason I suggested it.
Yup. It's a very reasonable suggestion for this particular couple. Ryant has already said he plans to commute to Alaska for his job and his wife will be looking for work. It could be economical for her to stay home. Full time daycare can be quite expensive ($1000/mo with aftercare).

Ryant, check out http://www.carolinaparent.com/direct...preschools.php for a listing of area preschools.

Last edited by poppydog; 09-15-2014 at 08:58 PM..

Old 09-15-2014, 08:56 PM

28 posts, read 51,517 times
Sorry, haven't been following OPs other posts, so the wife comment came out of left field for me! My apologies. But his points about his granddaughter and his wife needing some socialization are also strong reasons to look for daycare/preschools. Perhaps a half day option would be a good fit here? Or a school that allows you to attend only 2-3 days a week? Many day cares with preK offer this arrangement, but it's common in both Montessori and church-based schools, and it is often about 2/3 the cost of full time care. We'll be moving our son to this option ourselves in the next year once we have family move closer to spend time with him (he's just too sociable and active to not be around other kids), but we are looking clear over in Garner so not much help to OP there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary