Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 01:59 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,449 times

Advertisements

It's absolutely amazing how anyone considering a move to the Triangle thinks it's all about Cary, Chapel Hill, and, if they don't think they can afford to buy into those areas, Wake Forest. And if they fail to pin the tail on them donkeys, they immediately head south to Fuquay or Garner.

This is a big area with so many great parts, get off the PC and come down to see for yourself.

We spent the first six months of our relocation planning back in 2006 thinking it was all about Chapel Hill. We visited that year and within three days knew that North Raleigh was totally where we belonged. Once we couldn't figure out why we'd be happy to pay at least twice as much in property taxes to live there all bets were off.

And no, Wake Forest isn't the "new" Cary (thankfully), it's just the old and slowly expanding Wake Forest. If you don't have to commute to RTP regularly it's a great place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 02:27 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
It's absolutely amazing how anyone considering a move to the Triangle thinks it's all about Cary, Chapel Hill, and, if they don't think they can afford to buy into those areas, Wake Forest. And if they fail to pin the tail on them donkeys, they immediately head south to Fuquay or Garner.

This is a big area with so many great parts, get off the PC and come down to see for yourself.

We spent the first six months of our relocation planning back in 2006 thinking it was all about Chapel Hill. We visited that year and within three days knew that North Raleigh was totally where we belonged. Once we couldn't figure out why we'd be happy to pay at least twice as much in property taxes to live there all bets were off.

And no, Wake Forest isn't the "new" Cary (thankfully), it's just the old and slowly expanding Wake Forest. If you don't have to commute to RTP regularly it's a great place to live.
I absolutely agree. WF is a lovely town. I really like it.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:37 PM

342 posts, read 387,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetbutt View Post
Until Raleigh is connected to WF by something other than Capital Blvd... no.
It already is. You can get to Raleigh several different ways - 401 to 540, Falls of the Neuse or Highway 98. There are many other ways to get where you are going besides Capital. I rarely take Capital into Raleigh.

I have lived in Wake Forest area for 15 years and love it. I agree that if you aren't commuting to RTP, it is a fantastic place to live. But I hope (as do most people that I know) that it doesn't become as crowded and built up as Cary.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:56 PM

27 posts, read 30,991 times
So explain about double taxes if you live in Raleigh? Are property taxes higher in Raleigh? What about other suburbs? Anyone have percentages?

Old 09-18-2014, 03:32 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
The larger the town (Raleigh), the less the tax rate.

Chapel Hill has very high taxes.

Easy enough to find the rates online.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:51 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Chapel Hill has very good schools and free transportation throughout town, too. Part of what those taxes go for, which I am more than happy to pay.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:47 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI9045 View Post
I'm looking into moving to the triangle within the next year. I'm fairly familiar with it, and I know from friends that Cary was "THE" thing for like 10 years. Every out of state transplant, especially those from the NE or with money went directly there.

Now it seems Cary is a bit overbuilt and crowded, and all of the really nice, more affordable homes are in Wake Forest. I have a thread on here looking for spaced out nice subdivisions, and all the ones that I really like are in Wake Forest.

So is WF the new Cary? Will buying a home there in the near future be a good investment as more and more people move there?
Ah....come visit before you make such statements. Wake Forest is nothing like Cary (which has it's own advantages but isn't Wake Forest either) and the rest of your comments.

We've grown a lot...when I moved here there wasn't Mal-wart here (and I wish there still wasn't) but the rest of the town has grown organicly and still kept a vibrant downtown area and great parks, etc.

The idea that you think it's 'too country'....I just can't even address. It's a southern town....not hillbilly hell.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:40 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI9045 View Post
So explain about double taxes if you live in Raleigh? Are property taxes higher in Raleigh? What about other suburbs? Anyone have percentages?
Or you can just move to unincorporated Wake county and pay no city taxes at all. . . . like I do

I'm only 10 miles away from the state capitol building downtown, and my house is surrounded by soybean, tobacco, strawberry, and pumpkin fields. . . . . . for at least another 5 years

Old 09-18-2014, 07:24 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Wake County has taxes of about 60 cents. For every 100K of property (and we tax vehicles), that's $600 in property taxes.

Each city/town has its own layers. Although unclaimed, many of the "non-taxed" areas pay a fire district tax, but let's ignore that for now.

Raleigh charges another 38 cents now. Cary's a couple of cents less, but I don't have it handy. All of Wake county, when you pay 2 layers of property tax, is within about 15 cents of each other.

Durham is I believe in the $1.50 range for city and county combined. Chapel Hill is about $1.60

Old 09-18-2014, 07:26 PM

129 posts, read 186,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetbutt View Post
Until Raleigh is connected to WF by something other than Capital Blvd... no.
I think NCDOT plans to upgrade Capital north of 540 to a freeway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary